The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gmg2710
Hey guys i'm a current GEM student. Anyone got any questions they would like answering?

Hello, where do you study? How has GEM been so far? If you sat the UKCAT what was your routine like?
Original post by AdamCW
The reason I'm debating doing all three entrance Exams is that I'm currently living in Sweden and won't be back until the beginning of September. My dissertation is also due on the 20th Sep so I'm not sitting my UKCAT until the end of the month.

This means, if I screw up the UKCAT, I can't take GAMSAT and apply there because you sit that exam Sep 14th. And I think I'm correct in saying, the only uni I can apply to with a BMAT result is ICL. I can't apply to UCL or Brighton and I'm not sure who else uses it..

So messing up my UKCAT, to then take BMAT in Nov really only gives me ICL as realistic.. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford GEP uses BMAT, I think.
Original post by Medici103
Oxford GEP uses BMAT, I think.

Yeah I think you're right but it doesn't change my options unfortunately.

Being GEM, we're already limited.
Original post by AdamCW
Yeah I think you're right but it doesn't change my options unfortunately.

Being GEM, we're already limited.

Why are you limited to GEM? You're keen to apply to imperial, despite it being a five year, which suggests money isn't too much of an issue for you. Why not look in to applying to five year courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
Why are you limited to GEM? You're keen to apply to imperial, despite it being a five year, which suggests money isn't too much of an issue for you. Why not look in to applying to five year courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, in all honestly, I'm not just limited to GEM. But I was making a general statement saying that 'we are more limited' if we're going down the GEM route.

Money is always an issue my friend haha, But fortunately, I am in the lucky position of being able to wiggle my way through the 5 year courses if needed, and you're right. But, being 24 now, I'd rather not be studying my whole life so the 4 year option is a lot more appealing, though I've always loved ICL.
Original post by AdamCW
I'd rather not be studying my whole life

Isn't this a given with medicine?
Original post by Marathi
Isn't this a given with medicine?

Haha, very true. But I'm sure you understand what I mean.
Original post by Clunkles
Newcastle was 720 last year. :smile:

It was 727 in 2015 and 2014 the cut off score was 767.5 :frown: Seeing that has got me so so worried about the UKCAT now omg
Reply 948
Original post by hopefuldoctor
It was 727 in 2015 and 2014 the cut off score was 767.5 :frown: Seeing that has got me so so worried about the UKCAT now omg

Im sure Newcastle will at least consider if your around the cut off, won't they?. Do Newcastle not look at PS etc.?

If it was for 2014 entry it would have been the 2013 UKCAT cycle which had issues with the decision analysis section, I think. Scores from that cycle were hugely inflated and, as a result, the cut offs went up.
Reply 950
Original post by Lightingspeed
Hello, where do you study? How has GEM been so far? If you sat the UKCAT what was your routine like?

Hey I study at Swansea University. It has been grueling at times but really really good. I did UKCAT but as I never used the score (applied to all GAMSAT uni's) I cant remember what it was. Routine wise, I tried to do an hour a night and then a couple of hours on a Sunday. Hope that helps
Original post by Medici103
If it was for 2014 entry it would have been the 2013 UKCAT cycle which had issues with the decision analysis section, I think. Scores from that cycle were hugely inflated and, as a result, the cut offs went up.

Yes you're right. The average DA score was like 770 that year!
Hiya, not sure if i've said anything here before but...
I am studying Tropical Disease Biology at UoL (Thoroughly enjoying it), I have very modest GCSEs and A levels (ABC), and so I'm worried about my application. I'm trying to apply tactfully as I've been incredibly lucky to have a fair amount of experience.

I'm thinking
Newcastle 5 year
Southampton 4/5year
Warwick 4 year

if anyone could shed any light on to whether you have more chance on the 5 year courses as a graduate (due to having the degree) or less (do they prioritise school leavers), then that would be fab! Finances isnt a massive issue for me.

However it is all dependant on how well I do on the UKCAT.

so.. any tips for the UKCAT?
any other universities that are UKCAT and do not pay too much regard to before university?
and also any tips in general for the application? I've built up a portfolio of my work experience, (Warwick wanted 70 hours of 'hands on' work, which I have got but its pretty tenuous as 'hands on'). If i get a poor UKCAT I'll probably ditch Newcastle (cut off in 2014 of 750!!!) and will have to apply elsewhere. any suggestions?

Also does anybody think my degree will give me a bit of a niche? or do you think its not a big deal? so worried about my application and i really want to 'stand out' but i'm finding it incredibly difficult to find something 1000s of applicants don't already have!
Reply 953
Hey all! Excellent thread idea and nice to see there's so much activity on here already. Apologies if I am repeating a question answered elsewhere on the thread but I just wondered what resources people are using to prepare for GAMSAT? I am hoping to take the exam in Sep 2017 so have quite a while to prepare but do not have a Science background so i'm probably gonna need that time! I just don't know where to start tho; all of the resources that I have found via google tend to be very expensive. I can't really afford the Gold Standard course unless it is amazing and I can use that and not much else…

I'm thinking of purchasing an A Level Chemistry and A Level Biology text book and trying to teach myself the content - does anybody have any good recommendations? Does GAMSAT seem to favour a certain exam body style over another? Any pointers for the other 2 sections would be great too although my worries are with section 3 at the min! :/

FYI, I have a 2.1 Psychology degree and am almost 1 year through a 2 year MSc in Adult Nursing. I also have about 3 years work experience as a HCA. Thanks in advance for all your help :smile:
All this UKCAT talk is making me depressed, I can't get any higher than 610 and my test's next week 😭
Original post by 123ash
Im sure Newcastle will at least consider if your around the cut off, won't they?. Do Newcastle not look at PS etc.?

I've heard Newcastle look at UKCAT and what you've achieved/predicted in your degree but not 100% sure, if I'm wrong anyone can feel free to correct me :smile:
Original post by Indy108
All this UKCAT talk is making me depressed, I can't get any higher than 610 and my test's next week 😭

You're not the only one, finding out how high the cut off points can be for GEM has got me stressed out :frown:
Original post by Indy108

Hi Indy108

Please don't panic! You still have some time which you can put to good use.

My advice is not to overdo it but use the time that you have between now and your test to practise as much as you can. Ideally set aside a few hours a day between now and then and I am sure you will benefit from doing this.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep the night before your test and wear clothes that you are comfortable in. Eat a good breakfast before you go and walk in feeling confident!

I'm sure you'll do just fine... give me a shout if you have any questions I can help with.

UniAdmissions
Reply 958
Anyone know the benefits or cons of Medify vs Emedica??
You're not the only one, finding out how high the cut off points can be for GEM has got me stressed out :frown:

Relax, make sure you go in feeling good. Being healthy and alert on the day does wonders.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending