The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tianshan
The job requires one year of supervised practice after a Bachelor's Degree. After that, you'll be fully qualified. There are lots of jobs that offer a starting salary of £35,000 per annual. I'm just wondering if this is worth it because quite a few other employers let you start with £45k, and they all welcome newly qualified job seekers too. Their downsides are that it's a bit more stressful you have to work on Saturdays.

So, do you think the degree (quite a demanding one) and the training year is worth £35,000?

Thanks guys :smile:

Which field is this in? I have never seen a job for newly qualified people offering more than 29k, so I would love to know.
Working Saturday might not be much of an issue, i know a few people who have done it and it hasn't made much difference to their family lives.
If you think you would enjoy doing the job then yes, go for it.
Depends where you'll be living. In London, no I wouldn't be happy with that. Pretty much anywhere else is good though. Lots of graduates start on around £25,000 so £35,000 definitely isn't bad!
What field? I'm guessing law or something economics related?
How is £35,000 not a good starting salary??
Reply 5
Original post by an_atheist
Which field is this in? I have never seen a job for newly qualified people offering more than 29k, so I would love to know.
Working Saturday might not be much of an issue, i know a few people who have done it and it hasn't made much difference to their family lives.
If you think you would enjoy doing the job then yes, go for it.

It's in the healthcare sector.

35k company: Prospective Health
45k company: Inspired Selections and Network Open
Both are 9am - 5:30pm.

I wouldn't say it's the most exciting job, since the role is very repetitive, but it's pretty decent.
Reply 6
Lmao this forum
Reply 7
Original post by GoingToBurst
Depends where you'll be living. In London, no I wouldn't be happy with that. Pretty much anywhere else is good though. Lots of graduates start on around £25,000 so £35,000 definitely isn't bad!

The location is Devon - Exeter to be specific. :smile:
Reply 8
Don't just look at this starting salary. Look at what you could potentially earn after five years, ten years, twenty years. Some jobs have a high starting salary but the pay doesn't rise much higher and some jobs have a low starting salary and then increase a lot after a few years.
Reply 9
Original post by TelAviv
What field? I'm guessing law or something economics related?

No, healthcare.
It's peanuts tbh I don't think anyone could survive on it
Which are the graduate jobs that let you start on £45,000?
Reply 12
It's in the healthcare sector.

35k company: Prospective Health
45k company: Inspired Selections and Network Open
Both are 9am - 5:30pm.

I wouldn't say it's the most exciting job, since the role is very repetitive, but it's pretty decent.

Is that OTE or actual guaranteed salary? i.e. is it based on hitting sales targets and/or commission payments. And what does the job actually involve?

Oh, and judging by your other posts you haven't started your degree yet...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by jneill
Is that OTE or actual guaranteed salary? i.e. is it based on hitting sales targets and/or commission payments. And what does the job actually involve?

It involves working in a clinic 2/3 of the day, seeing patients, carrying out assessment e.t.c. also I have no idea what OTE is.
More worrying that you've completed a 'demanding degree' and can't work out if a starting(!) salary that is around £9k more than the average UK wage is good.
Reply 15
It involves working in a clinic 2/3 of the day, seeing patients, carrying out assessment e.t.c. also I have no idea what OTE is.

On Target Earnings. It's what some jobs are based on, and is what you earn if you hit various sales targets.

So it looks like you want to be an Optometrist. Have you read careers info such as https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/optometrist ?

It looks like a newly qualified optometrist (i.e. not just with a degree, but with the subsequent professional qualification) is likely to earn £25k. This is in line with typical grad salaries in many fields.

There's no way you will walk into a role paying £35k straight off. Never mind £45k. Those will be for experienced applicants.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Of course it is you bottom-of-a-rock occupying doofus.
Original post by jneill
On Target Earnings. It's what some jobs are based on, and is what you earn if you hit various sales targets.

So it looks like you want to be an Optometrist. Have you read careers info such as https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/optometrist ?

It looks like a newly qualified optometrist (i.e. not just with a degree, but with the subsequent professional qualification) is likely to earn £25k. This is in line with typical grad salaries in many fields.

There's no way you will walk into a role paying £35k straight off. Never mind £45k. Those will be for experienced applicants.

Just to add to this, there was a post by an optometrist who has worked for most of the chains and was 7 years qualified . he was bemoaning the pay and the career.
Very comprehensive post.
Reply 18
Original post by Reue
Lmao this forum

It's what has kept me coming back for 9 years
It alright. Depends on what the work involves and the future salary progression.

Latest

Trending

Trending