The Student Room Group

Pharmacology and then medicine?

is it worth doing 3 years of pharmacology and then applying for graduate medicine?
Reply 1
Original post by Outlawblues
is it worth doing 3 years of pharmacology and then applying for graduate medicine?

It really depends. If you really want to do medicine and don't have the grades for it/dont expect to get the grades for it then yes. If you REALLY want to be a doctor.
There are still a lot of problems with graduate entry medicine. The biggest one being money. From what I understand student finance don't finance it if as it will be your second degree- with regards to the 5 year programme. The 4 year course is partially funded. Additionally, gem is MUCH MORE competitive than undergrad. as there are fewer places and more applicants.
Reply 2
Original post by polerat
It really depends. If you really want to do medicine and don't have the grades for it/dont expect to get the grades for it then yes. If you REALLY want to be a doctor.
There are still a lot of problems with graduate entry medicine. The biggest one being money. From what I understand student finance don't finance it if as it will be your second degree- with regards to the 5 year programme. The 4 year course is partially funded. Additionally, gem is MUCH MORE competitive than undergrad. as there are fewer places and more applicants.

I REALLY want to be a doctor. I've been "advised" to finish 3 years of pharmacology and then take medicine bc my parents want me to be "financially stable?!" I genuinely don't know what to do
Reply 3
I REALLY want to be a doctor. I've been "advised" to finish 3 years of pharmacology and then take medicine bc my parents want me to be "financially stable?!" I genuinely don't know what to do

Im kind of in a similar situation. I REALLY want to be a doctor too and currently studying biomed. This time next year I will hopefully be doing my application. Have you thought about doing medicine in Europe? Although I'm not sure if thats such a good idea after brexit. Maybe look at access courses?
Reply 4
Original post by polerat
Im kind of in a similar situation. I REALLY want to be a doctor too and currently studying biomed. This time next year I will hopefully be doing my application. Have you thought about doing medicine in Europe? Although I'm not sure if thats such a good idea after brexit. Maybe look at access courses?

If medicine is your ultimate goal, it might be better to resit a levels to get your grades up and reapply. Wahts the point in wasting three of your life and lots of money for something you don't want to do?

Graduate entry medicine is much more competitive too

That is the last thing to do if you want 'finanical stability'. It means at least 7 years straight of being a student and having very low paid part time jobs on the side. Pharmacology is not the same as a pharmacy degree, you won't be able to earn money as a pharmacist to support yourself.
Not to mention the amount of debt you will accumulate (not that it will ever get paid back fully but its not something to ignore).

I personally would never advise graduate entry medicine unless you didnt get the required AAA grades including biology and chemistry, this is because graduate entry is so so competative to enter the graduate courses (which I beleive can be funded easier), and for normal A100 courses you will not be funded from student finance, and hence it can be very expensive.

If you have the money then great but I personally would just apply for undergrad entry before doing another degree. If your already in your degree do see it through to graduation!
Reply 7
I did physiology and pharmacology at Leicester, and I'm going to Newcastle next year to do GEM. So it's possible, but be prepared to work like a dog - it's all a lot more detailed than you have to do for medicine, and you will be forced to learn very specifically about your lecturers research interests, which can be boring. But overall, it worked out alright for me :wink:

Planning to take two undergrad degrees does not make financial sense unless you can make stacks of money from the first one, you will graduate with around a 100k of debt. Not all doctors get to CCT/GP, some have to accept that they will only ever be trust grade and won't make the kind of money needed to repay 100k plus interest over 30 years. If your A Levels preclude you from all the A100 & foundation year options then try grad entry but make sure your first degree is one you can get a first in and potentially get work from.

Things that lead to professional registration or give you lots of industry contacts are a good idea and can help you build the savings you will need during your medical degree.

The competition for grad spots is pretty fierce and until you can smash UKCAT and GAMSAT you might not get an interview, for me it meant 3 years of trying to get an interview despite first class honours and a **** tonne of ECs. You can get A100 interviews with pretty average test scores, have a go at the tests and see how you fare.

If you have to go GEM, you really should choose something you love and could lead to a career you could enjoy because it really is a gamble. Good luck! Do your research and don't blindly follow the advice of well meaning rellies that may not fully understand the process for getting in to medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending