The Student Room Group

Does anyone here work full time?

Hey all.
Ive started an apprenticeship on Monday and so far ive felt like ive barely been at home. When i get home i feel like im awake for 10 mins and then im at work again. I spend 5 hours awake once ive finished for the day.
So does anyone else work full time and expereince this?
Does it become better over time?
Thanks
Reply 1
So what hours do you work ?
Original post by fefssdf
So what hours do you work ?

Mon-Fri: 8:15am - 5pm
I usually arrive at 8am and leave around 5-5:15pm
Original post by FireFreezer77
Hey all.
Ive started an apprenticeship on Monday and so far ive felt like ive barely been at home. When i get home i feel like im awake for 10 mins and then im at work again. I spend 5 hours awake once ive finished for the day.
So does anyone else work full time and expereince this?
Does it become better over time?
Thanks

Welcome to the working world :tongue: I was like this with my first job, you'll get used to it
Original post by Hamo2509
Welcome to the working world :tongue: I was like this with my first job, you'll get used to it

Thanks! :tongue:
I like the job so far so its not too bad. Just wish i could appreciate the time at home!
I hope so! How long did it take you to adapt?
Reply 5
Mon-Fri: 8:15am - 5pm
I usually arrive at 8am and leave around 5-5:15pm

Oh god that's bad :/ my part time job is only one day a week but I get tonnes of overtime and have just increased my hours from 4 to 9 so I'm working 11-8 each Saturday now .... It'll be awful but I really need the cash TBH
Thanks! :tongue:
I like the job so far so its not too bad. Just wish i could appreciate the time at home!
I hope so! How long did it take you to adapt?

Hmm.. maybe 2-3 weeks? When I first started I felt like I was continuously at work.
Being an adult sucks, but you get used to it.

However, one thing I've always noted is the trade-off between money and time.

Part-time work:
- More free time.
- Less money to spend during your free time.

Full-time work:
- Less free time.
- More money to spend during your free time.

Speaking from second-hand experience, it sucks working part-time because although the free-time you get is great, your financial situation limits what you can do during it. And speaking from first-hand experience, having more money is great but I'd be a lot happier if I had more time with which to do stuff that required spending money.

It's a double-edged sword no matter which way you look at it, and I realise this has little to no impact on your actual question but I felt like digressing.

But to reiterate: you do get used to it. It doesn't become better. It never gets better. You merely... adjust.
I work 7 or 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and even then I'm drained
It is rather draining to be honest, I'm 5 weeks in on a 9 to 5. I think it's a must must must to get the right amount of sleep you need (varies slightly from person to person, but look around 8 or 9 hours.. you probably know best for that one). and to have regular sleeping patterns on the weekend too, even if you want a lie in. Like say, waking up at 7:30 Mon-Fri and then having a lie-in until 11 on the Saturday because you're knackered (which is fair enough) is probably risky, I'd get up at like 9 or half 9 or something.
Original post by fefssdf
Oh god that's bad :/ my part time job is only one day a week but I get tonnes of overtime and have just increased my hours from 4 to 9 so I'm working 11-8 each Saturday now .... It'll be awful but I really need the cash TBH

Its not that bad. The job is really enjoyable and the people are great too!
Well 1 day a week is alright! You do 9 hours a week? Thats nothing!
Well 9 hours so its the same as me! And im doing it 5 days a week!

Original post by Hamo2509
Hmm.. maybe 2-3 weeks? When I first started I felt like I was continuously at work.

Ah well thad not too bad then! Plus i go on holiday for a week in October so that will be nice!
Yeah thats how i feel now!
What do you do for your job?
I can't even work without a dose of caffeine. I do 12-8 shifts but soon going back to 6 am - 2 pm/ 2 pm - 10 pm shifts.

Quick Reply

Latest