The Student Room Group

DWP Work Coach October 2023

Hi there. I've applied for the DWP role for the London area. Wanted to find out if anyone has been working in this role before, and what the pros and cons are for the long-term?
Thank you 😊
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good work life balance, generally a good environment to work in, decent pay for the workload. A lot of opportunities to progress.
Reply 2
Do you ever have the opportunity to work from home or is it all office based?
Reply 3
Original post by HanaL101
Good work life balance, generally a good environment to work in, decent pay for the workload. A lot of opportunities to progress.

Reply 4
Original post by Lizou1

For the work coach role they say it’s strictly office 5 days a week. However I do know of people who have health conditions in different offices who have been able to work from home. But generally it’s a no

Hi, I am in the process of accepting this role, but it was advertised as being possible to work part year part time. I've just had part time agreed, but part year declined for operational reasons. I was wondering if flexi time is easy to build up and what the rules are around that? Might that be a way to build up a good amount of time to take when I need it? Thanks so much for any thoughts you may have!
Reply 6
Original post by RaspberryPip
Hi, I am in the process of accepting this role, but it was advertised as being possible to work part year part time. I've just had part time agreed, but part year declined for operational reasons. I was wondering if flexi time is easy to build up and what the rules are around that? Might that be a way to build up a good amount of time to take when I need it? Thanks so much for any thoughts you may have!

Flexi time for me personally is hard to build up. But if you’re someone who can commit to coming in super early or taking shorter lunches in order to build it up then you can build it up easily. The main issue will be that if you have build up over 3 days worth of flexi then you will have to take off those days. So you won’t be able to build it up for more than 3 days as you’ll be required to take it off.
Flexi time for me personally is hard to build up. But if you’re someone who can commit to coming in super early or taking shorter lunches in order to build it up then you can build it up easily. The main issue will be that if you have build up over 3 days worth of flexi then you will have to take off those days. So you won’t be able to build it up for more than 3 days as you’ll be required to take it off.

Ah, I see, I hadn't realised that is how it works. Thanks very much, it is helpful to know this, as I think about what might work for me!
Reply 8

Ok. Thanks so much for sharing your experience! 😊
Reply 9

When it comes to part time, could you work as little as once or twice a week?
Reply 10

How many days and hours are required for part time please? x
Original post by EKM132
How many days and hours are required for part time please? x

The way it worked for me was the JCP manager asked me to make a request, and that was passed on to her line manager. My request was partially agreed (part time weeks, but not part year at all). So once the full time training is finished I'll be doing 4 days a week, and 7 hour days, so 28 hours a week. Another option would have been three longer 8 hour days. Hope that's helpful.
Reply 12
The way it worked for me was the JCP manager asked me to make a request, and that was passed on to her line manager. My request was partially agreed (part time weeks, but not part year at all). So once the full time training is finished I'll be doing 4 days a week, and 7 hour days, so 28 hours a week. Another option would have been three longer 8 hour days. Hope that's helpful.

Thank you so much for this! It helps massively. Did you get the option for hybrid or is it office only. How long is your training xx
Glad it helps! My manager told me all training is back in the office now, as deemed more supportive to new starters. I think the training is around 6 weeks. I believe the Work Coach role is also fully in the office.
Good luck!
Reply 14
Glad it helps! My manager told me all training is back in the office now, as deemed more supportive to new starters. I think the training is around 6 weeks. I believe the Work Coach role is also fully in the office.
Good luck!

Thank you so much! How long did it take from your interview to confirming you got the job please x
Original post by EKM132
Thank you so much! How long did it take from your interview to confirming you got the job please x

I think it took 16 days from interview to provisional offer, then around another 8 weeks until pre employment checks were complete and the formal offer was made. I've heard pre employment can take up to 12 weeks atm. I hope you have good news soon.
Reply 16
Hi has anyone applied for term time only and been accepted? On what stage of the recruitment process you put a request for part time and working times preferences? Thank you x

Thanks so much for this post. Waiting on pre employment checks which I know take forever lol, but I wondered at what stage are hours and salary discussed. 28 hours would be perfect for me with caring commitments. Hopefully, this will be agreed 🙏

Hey when did you hear the outcome? I had an interview on the 23rd of October.still
Waiting
Reply 19
Cons are that over 50% of your appointments will be 10 minutes long and your diary will be packed back to back from the start to the end of your day.

This is insufficient to help customers who have complex needs and leaves very little admin time for completing tasks that cannot be done during the appointment.

While managing a packed diary, you could be dealing mainly with people who aren't capable of moving into work in the near future*, you will be bombarded with journal messages from the customers, emails and teams messages from colleagues and managers which you need to stay on top of.

*Caveat, that is the demographic of my customers due to being in an urban area of high social deprivation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending