The Student Room Group

Qualification In 1 year, around work ?

Hello All

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way I could gain a qualification in a year working around my retail job (assistant manager 45 hrs), I would like anything that could be added to my CV preferably an A-Level but anything below that I could realistically gain, I have tried access to higher education but it is too much to work around work, I would even do a GCSE if I couldn't do anything else.

Thanks
Reply 1
what were your strongest subjects at school? hows your maths skills or scientific knowledge?
I think your best option is to do GCSE(S) simply because A levels are now taken at the end of two years, not one year.

With GCSE(S), you can study them within a year or less and still get a good grade.
The only GCSE's you need in the world of work is English and maths and possibly science but that's unrelated to retail.
Reply 4
I have Math (B) English (C) and Science (B,B) but I dont have ICT ? could this be a good one to go for, I see many apprentice websites find ICT attractive.

Also I am now thinking an As-Level may be good ??
Original post by Blackstarr
I think your best option is to do GCSE(S) simply because A levels are now taken at the end of two years, not one year.

With GCSE(S), you can study them within a year or less and still get a good grade.

you can however take the A s level and gain a seperate qualification to A-levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
you can however take the A s level and gain a seperate qualification to A-levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought, the AS results don't count anymore?
Original post by Blackstarr
I thought, the AS results don't count anymore?

if you continue to A2 it doesnt but if you do tge AS exam and dont continue it counts

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's your reason for wanting a qualification? Does it have to be a school-level academic one? How about something like ECDL? MOOC courses? Language course? Open university courses are designed to fit around full-time work. Whatever you choose good luck!
Reply 9
If your confident then AS maths or physics is good and very interesting BUT these are the hardest AS subjects and require good knowledge and understanding(you cant make things up in the exams and get credit as specific answers are required).They are also the two subjects that look good for any job
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
if you continue to A2 it doesnt but if you do tge AS exam and dont continue it counts

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohh ok, I didn't know that.
Original post by McGowan123
Hello All

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way I could gain a qualification in a year working around my retail job (assistant manager 45 hrs), I would like anything that could be added to my CV preferably an A-Level but anything below that I could realistically gain, I have tried access to higher education but it is too much to work around work, I would even do a GCSE if I couldn't do anything else.

Thanks

Your local further education college with have a range of part time/evening courses. Have a look at their web site or request their brochure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest