The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge PhD conditional offer after interview. Online Portal application advice

I recently interviewed for a PhD at Cambridge after contacting a supervisor directly about a position in their group. After the interview I was given a conditional offer (on the condition that the university also accept my application), and now I have to apply formally via the online portal. The project already has 4 years of funding secured and the supervisor and I will work together to write the research proposal.

Is this next online portal step just a formality, or could I still be turned down after receiving the conditional offer? What things will they be looking for in the application that might cause an issue? My pervious undergrad qualifications are not the strongest which concerns me, but I am currently averaging around 80% on a Masters course.

Has anyone else been through this process before?

Thanks
Do you meet the academic requirements of the university? The university will expect you to meet the standards outlined on their website. They will likely be a panel who review funded positions although if you have a suitable academic background, a solid research proposal (which you would expect from the supervisor) and the supervisor supporting your application, I imagine you stand an excellent chance.

Getting funding and a supervisor to accept you into their lab/research group is generally the important bit, so it’s not just a formality left but you have passed what is typically the hardest step.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Do you meet the academic requirements of the university? The university will expect you to meet the standards outlined on their website. They will likely be a panel who review funded positions although if you have a suitable academic background, a solid research proposal (which you would expect from the supervisor) and the supervisor supporting your application, I imagine you stand an excellent chance.

Getting funding and a supervisor to accept you into their lab/research group is generally the important bit, so it’s not just a formality left but you have passed what is typically the hardest step.

Thanks for the reply! The only requirements on their website are a “minimum good 2:1” and I have a 2:1 but not a particularly good one. I am currently on a Masters though and my average for this course is around 80%, and I have a year of industry experience. Hopefully they refer to that more than the 2:1 grade.
Original post by owj22
Thanks for the reply! The only requirements on their website are a “minimum good 2:1” and I have a 2:1 but not a particularly good one. I am currently on a Masters though and my average for this course is around 80%, and I have a year of industry experience. Hopefully they refer to that more than the 2:1 grade.

I suspect they deliberately use “good” to allow them to have flexibility but id consider a good 2.1 a mark >65%, one option they have and may well insist on is a conditional offer on your masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending