The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Another 2017 hopeful here! Graduated this year with a 1st in Biomed.
Did my UKCAT today and got 710 (SJT Band 1); anyone think this is still worth a shot for Newcastle? Hoping there's a downward trend in the cut off this year!
Is anyone in a similar position? I'll be applying for 2 UKCAT unis (Birmingham and Oxford are the others) so any strategic advice based on my score would be hugely appreciated! :smile:
Also for anyone asking about Medify; would totally recommend! My AR practise was abysmal a couple of weeks ago and it helped immensely, plus it helps make the actual test feel much less unfamiliar :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TomT95
Hey, thought I might as well get involved here
I'm about to start my final year studying Biochemistry, and will be applying for GEM courses for 2017 entry
I sat the GAMSAT last year and got a pretty good score (Overall score: 64)
I did my UKCAT earlier this week but didn't do too well, so I'm not sure if I should chance it with one of my options (Average: 653.3)
In terms of experience, I volunteered at a care home last summer, which turned into a paid healthcare assistant role when I returned for this summer
I also had a week shadowing a surgical team back in December, so I'm pretty happy as far as experience goes
Currently I have Nottingham and Liverpool on my list as definites, with St. George's as a potential although I'd prefer to avoid London! I was going to apply to Warwick but I don't think my UKCAT score makes me much of a competitive applicant. I need to have a rethink now I have all my test scores
Just wanted to join in with the discussion, if anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it!

That's a great GAMSAT score congratulations! I'd definitely apply to all GAMSAT unis with that score and considering your UKCAT.
Hi guys sorry to break from the thread, but I was wondering if people could help give a loose insight into which universities I should I apply for for graduate medicine.

At the moment I was thinking Nottingham, St Geroges and maybe Liverpool I'm not sure which others. I graduated from the University of Warwick with a 2:2 this year (due to extenuating circumstances) so my options are quite limited and I realised that St Georges have increased entry requirements to a 2:1 :frown: - still gonna apply there becasue its so local to me as well.

I'm going to start a masters this october at Imperial and I'm currently preparing for the GAMSAT- this was so expensive so I'm not looking to do any other tests ( and dont have much time to do them ) unless I really have to.

some other info - I got 11A* at GCSEs - not much point of that I realise
A*BB in English Literature, Biology, and Chemsitry for my A levels

Any help and insight on this would be greatly appreciated !!!! I might post this in the GAMSAT forum so sorry if you see it twice!
I'm a Birmingham Med Student going into clinical years albeit on the undergrad course where I'll be joined by the GECs! Any Qs on UoB I'm more than happy to answer here or in PMs!
Reply 1084
Original post by Marathi
That's a great GAMSAT score congratulations! I'd definitely apply to all GAMSAT unis with that score and considering your UKCAT.

Thanks, I really wasn't expecting it! Yeah I think I might be best doing that, I'll probably go with Notts, L'pool, St George's and Swansea, seeing as they're the only GEM courses I'm eligible for that use the GAMSAT
OK, So I must be completely silly, but i think that the Medify QR questions are worded so confusingly!

Is this how they are worded in the actual test? Even when I re-read the Qs *twice or thrice, I still find it confusing.*
Original post by ChkATM
I'm a Birmingham Med Student going into clinical years albeit on the undergrad course where I'll be joined by the GECs! Any Qs on UoB I'm more than happy to answer here or in PMs!

Hi. I am applying to Birmingham for GEM. I did a BMedSc degree here (graduated recently) and would love to do medicine here too :smile: Do you know what weighting is given to the academia and personal statement for medicine at UoB? They seem to be very strict on academic grades? I got a 2:1 in my degree so I am ok but they tend to give preference to those with a 1st or a very high 2:1. Mine is a good solid 2:1 but they may not class it as a high enough grade. If I have a good personal statement, would they still consider me or will they kick me out before they even get to that because of my grades?
Would really appreciate some advice :smile:
Original post by mj1dan2014
Hi. I am applying to Birmingham for GEM. I did a BMedSc degree here (graduated recently) and would love to do medicine here too :smile: Do you know what weighting is given to the academia and personal statement for medicine at UoB? They seem to be very strict on academic grades? I got a 2:1 in my degree so I am ok but they tend to give preference to those with a 1st or a very high 2:1. Mine is a good solid 2:1 but they may not class it as a high enough grade. If I have a good personal statement, would they still consider me or will they kick me out before they even get to that because of my grades?
Would really appreciate some advice :smile:

I'll text some GECs for you and see if they know the answers to the Qs for you. Really should stop calling them GECs as we've all merged together now haha!

If you've done a BMedSc here, your course content should prepare you pretty well for GEC1 (first year). A few I've spoken to had very similar ish modules taught by the same lecturers!
Original post by ChkATM
I'll text some GECs for you and see if they know the answers to the Qs for you. Really should stop calling them GECs as we've all merged together now haha!

If you've done a BMedSc here, your course content should prepare you pretty well for GEC1 (first year). A few I've spoken to had very similar ish modules taught by the same lecturers!

Thank you. Yes I heard that the first year is very similar to BMedSc, which is good.
Please let me know when you hear from the GEMs (or GECs :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1089
Does anyone know if the medical school comparison tool on The Medic Portal is accurate? I just checked for Barts and it says

"Ranked according to weighting (UKCAT 50% and UCAS Tariff 50%). Must score more than average UKCAT score to be considered (around 2330 in 2016). UKCAT scores are sorted into deciles. An interview will not be offered if the total UKCAT score is below the third decile."

Does this mean we have to get above 2330 this year (without DA) to be considered?? Or is it 2330 from last year (with DM)? Confused D:
Original post by immaa
Does anyone know if the medical school comparison tool on The Medic Portal is accurate? I just checked for Barts and it says

"Ranked according to weighting (UKCAT 50% and UCAS Tariff 50%). Must score more than average UKCAT score to be considered (around 2330 in 2016). UKCAT scores are sorted into deciles. An interview will not be offered if the total UKCAT score is below the third decile."

Does this mean we have to get above 2330 this year (without DA) to be considered?? Or is it 2330 from last year (with DM)? Confused D:

That's for non graduates. If you check the admissions data the scores are all there. The ones in bold type are what a similar score would be without DA.

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/assets/courses/admissions-data-from-the-2016-admissions-cycle.pdf
Thank you. Yes I heard that the first year is very similar to BMedSc, which is good.
Please let me know when you hear from the GEMs (or GECs :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Upon systems enquiry of the GECs, a common finding was seen. However, it must be said that a sample group was selected (aka texted) and findings were subsequently applied to the GEC population.

Jokes, basically out of the entire year group nearly every single one had a first and those that didn't, only a very small handful, their 2.i was a very very high 2.i quite literally on the cusp of a first (one or 2 percent below). As for personal statement, my mates didn't really know the relative weight placed on it. They said the academics are extremely important as well the interview so if you do get called up, prepare well!!!

GEC1 is meant to be hell on earth, but most of you guys have an extremely good scientific grounding.

I think the undergrad course is harder :wink: jokes jokes everyone stay calm now, don't want people to get supraventricular tachycardia.
Original post by ChkATM
Upon systems enquiry of the GECs, a common finding was seen. However, it must be said that a sample group was selected (aka texted) and findings were subsequently applied to the GEC population.

Jokes, basically out of the entire year group nearly every single one had a first and those that didn't, only a very small handful, their 2.i was a very very high 2.i quite literally on the cusp of a first (one or 2 percent below). As for personal statement, my mates didn't really know the relative weight placed on it. They said the academics are extremely important as well the interview so if you do get called up, prepare well!!!

GEC1 is meant to be hell on earth, but most of you guys have an extremely good scientific grounding.

I think the undergrad course is harder :wink: jokes jokes everyone stay calm now, don't want people to get supraventricular tachycardia.

Hi. Thanks very much for the update. I hope I can get to the interview stage. My degree is 4% off a 1st but would really want to try anyway. I studied here so I think it would make sense for me to try applying here for med :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. Thanks very much for the update. I hope I can get to the interview stage. My degree is 4% off a 1st but would really want to try anyway. I studied here so I think it would make sense for me to try applying here for med :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course, you're already familiar with it all and you'll know better than me where the strengths lie in your application. For all I know your personal statement and other facets of your application may be superlative!

Glad to see the loyalty to UoB :wink: really wish you well with the application and I hope the info helped
Hi!

I'm a pharmacy graduate (graduated in 2014 with a 2:1). UKCAT results are VR 670, QR 890, AR 680, SJ Band 1. Thinking of applying to a mix of GEM and UG courses to have the best chance of getting in (currently thinking Newcastle GEM, Leicester UG, Hull-York UG and Sheffield UG).

This might seem like a really stupid question but I'm currently filling in my UCAS form and was wondering if your university result goes in the education section the same way GCSEs and A-levels do. It just seems a really clunky way of doing it and I don't want it to be missed at the first screening (especially for the UG courses where my A-levels wouldn't be good enough to get an interview on the basis of those alone).
Original post by james282
Hi!

I'm a pharmacy graduate (graduated in 2014 with a 2:1). UKCAT results are VR 670, QR 890, AR 680, SJ Band 1. Thinking of applying to a mix of GEM and UG courses to have the best chance of getting in (currently thinking Newcastle GEM, Leicester UG, Hull-York UG and Sheffield UG).

This might seem like a really stupid question but I'm currently filling in my UCAS form and was wondering if your university result goes in the education section the same way GCSEs and A-levels do. It just seems a really clunky way of doing it and I don't want it to be missed at the first screening (especially for the UG courses where my A-levels wouldn't be good enough to get an interview on the basis of those alone).

That's where I put mine. If you're particularly worried about them missing it, you could ask your referee to include it in your reference.
Original post by james282
... I don't want it to be missed at the first screening (especially for the UG courses where my A-levels wouldn't be good enough to get an interview on the basis of those alone).

It's fine, admissions see your uni grades exactly as they would for A Levels but it also helps if your referee also writes about your (exceptional) academic prowess, continued development and suitability for a higher level of education. For those applying before they graduate, the reference absolutely must include a predicted grade.
Reply 1097
Hey everyone :smile: I am thinking of applying however I never studied chemistry at school... A for Biology, and 1st class LLB Hons degree - think I stand a chance?
Original post by saward1988
Oh my goodness seriously?

I just checked...what on earth? I'm actually interested to see how the number of applicants for medicine this year is affected. I predict there will be no difference to the GEPs programmes as I think generally people by this point are pretty determined to be a Dr no matter what, despite contracts, NHS being bankrupt etc..that's my theory anyway.

Pretty much this. All my work colleagues are bringing up so many negatives of wanting to do medicine and I'm all over here like, I don't care, I'm still going to do it whatever
Original post by CGSW
Hey everyone :smile: I am thinking of applying however I never studied chemistry at school... A for Biology, and 1st class LLB Hons degree - think I stand a chance?

Yeah, Warwick, Swansea, SGUL, Nottingham and Newcastle are still options and if you get a good UKCAT/GAMSAT score it will just be down to how well you interview.

Do an A Level in Chemistry if you also want a shot at Barts, Southampton and Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending