The Student Room Group

Which part of Maths A-level do you think...

I will be starting maths A-level this september so I need some help.

Which part of maths A-level do you think was/is the hardest. And also which part of maths A-level do you think I should pay close attention to in the first year.

Could you please also give reasons why. Thank you!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pay attention to it all haha. If anything M1 was the hardest for me just because it is so different from the GCSE maths I was used to. My advice is to just keep practising even if it feels impossible (that's how it felt for me). Also just make sure you understand each bit before moving on to the next.
Reply 2
Core 4 was the hardest for me.. though it is the exam i did the best in. D1 is difficult too.
Every area, you need to be on top of. The most difficult part is underestimating it (from doing well in GCSE, perhaps) and not doing enough practice.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Every area, you need to be on top of. The most difficult part is underestimating it (from doing well in GCSE, perhaps) and not doing enough practice.

Can't repeat this enough. A level maths is so much more difficult than GCSE
most people seem to think integration is difficult.
i disagree
Original post by KBSc
Core 4 was the hardest for me.. though it is the exam i did the best in. D1 is difficult too.

what do you find difficult about D1?
You should be fine for C1&C2 if you work hard, but choose your applied module carefully cause you don't want to study one which you end up hating, it'll make revision so much more boring.
Reply 8
Original post by Hashtosh302
what do you find difficult about D1?

i'm not sure. Gantt charts and stuff to do with that is difficult, and linear programming
I personally found S1 the hardest (even harder than m1) but that's just because I absolutely despise stats.
And give attention to the parts you're not good at the most and don't leave anything that you don't understand, practice and get help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
statistics was a giant slap in the face lmaoo
also vectors were hard because you think you understand it and then next thing yknow it turns around and tells you it doesn't love you anymore
Statistics is a killer
If you're unfortunate enough to be doing OCR and have to learn permutations and combinations -__-
Reply 12
Original post by tcameron
Statistics is a killer
If you're unfortunate enough to be doing OCR and have to learn permutations and combinations -__-

They're so damn useful though.
AS is quite standard across the board - get the CGP student books and work through them and you'll be fine.

A2 I bombed a bit, integration and trig are the BANE of my life. I'd say once you've got your easy marks from c1 solid, work on c2 trig and integration to get it solid for next year.

If you're nearby, Manchester do maths a level days near the end of the year, about 2 weeks before exams. Best £30 you can spend.
Original post by alow
They're so damn useful though.

only useful if you can actually understand it, which very few doing maths actually understood Stats
am i right in saying

for edexecel maths the 1 im doing) it is made up of: C1, C2, S1 and C3, C4, M1
Original post by Arima
statistics was a giant slap in the face lmaoo
also vectors were hard because you think you understand it and then next thing yknow it turns around and tells you it doesn't love you anymore

this is was me lmao the vectors question is what made be do so bad in c4😑

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't say it's difficult but it's really easy to make mistakes and one mistake early on could mess up your whole thing.

I would say the most difficult topic for me in AS was logs eve though after a while you get use to it. But as everyone is saying do I underestimate it make sure you understand every single topic and are on top of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Core 1 linear graphs man...killer.
Reply 19
Original post by bubblegumcat
this is was me lmao the vectors question is what made be do so bad in c4😑

Posted from TSR Mobile

psh i was so cocky after i went and did all the vector questions i could find, so when i flicked over that page to see the vector q i just. cracked fingers. i can ace this.

but nah lol i ended up w 3 pages of scribbles and dissatisfaction. which also, ironically, summed up the entire paper. just give me 2 hours to do the one vector question i promise i can eventually figure it out

Quick Reply

Latest