The Student Room Group

Do you have to do Further Maths to do Computer Science?

I want to do Maths A level, but I think Further Maths will be abit hard. Do you think Computer Science is the wrong course for me, if I cant handle FM? Does the Maths get quite tricky?
bump
Reply 2
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I want to do Maths A level, but I think Further Maths will be abit hard. Do you think Computer Science is the wrong course for me, if I cant handle FM? Does the Maths get quite tricky?

NO you don't need further maths for CS, tho during your 2nd year of alevels picking it up in AS may enhance your application if your applying to the top uni's........ computing would help :smile:
I think some universities like KCL ask for Maths or Computer Science at A-Level, but I don't think further maths is a requirement.

The best thing to do though is to look at the websites of the universities that you're interested in and see what they are asking for :smile: Then you'll know for sure what you need in order to apply.
Reply 4
Original post by Iqbal007
NO you don't need further maths for CS, tho during your 2nd year of alevels picking it up in AS may enhance your application if your applying to the top uni's........ computing would help :smile:

They don't care about computing cos hardly anywhere offers it... and to be honest it's a rubbish course.

OP if you're good at Maths then just do it. (F)Maths at A-level is more of an indicator for performance at CS than actual learning of content that you'll use. Obviously there's some stuff you'll use but the rest is discrete maths which you won't have seen.
Reply 5
Original post by tooosh
They don't care about computing cos hardly anywhere offers it... and to be honest it's a rubbish course.

OP if you're good at Maths then just do it. (F)Maths at A-level is more of an indicator for performance at CS than actual learning of content that you'll use. Obviously there's some stuff you'll use but the rest is discrete maths which you won't have seen.

I just thought it might help toosh
Original post by tooosh

Im thinking I might get stuck on maths A level, never mind FM? Shall I not do CS? Is the maths hard in CS as say Economics or Physics?
Reply 7
Im thinking I might get stuck on maths A level, never mind FM? Shall I not do CS? Is the maths hard in CS as say Economics or Physics?

It depends where you do it to be honest. As for personal experience, well I'll tell you when I start, someone else will be able to help you from here :tongue:
Original post by tooosh
It depends where you do it to be honest. As for personal experience, well I'll tell you when I start, someone else will be able to help you from here :tongue:

Cool where are you going
Reply 9
Cool where are you going

Southampton. They require A-level Maths and the course is meant to be fairly mathematical even though it has a bunch of electronics and other stuff as well.
Reply 10
You dont have to do Maths to get into a CS course, however. You WILL find the maths difficult once your required to do it, if you haven't gone through the Maths route, unless your pretty amazing at it.
Reply 11

Depends which University, some University's really focus on the maths part (Cambridge, UCL, etc, while some focus on the programming (Queens, Nottingham etc) Choose whatever you prefer
Reply 12
Most maths used in CS (I go to Soton) isn't really covered in A-level (unless you opt for Decision maths in which case you may touch upon parts). Everyone starts in the same place generally, and there is a module designed to bring everyone's maths up to speed focusing on just what you need to know (mainly regarding set theory, group theory, proofs, etc)
Reply 13
everybody

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending