The Student Room Group

studying maths a level in a gap year

Hi,
I'm unable to go to university this year (2023) because of some visa issues so I need to take a gap year. I was thinking of doing a level maths during this year and apply again next year (2024). But I'm not sure where I should be going to study. Like do I have to go to collage or sixth form?

Also this year I already applied to law school but I don't want to do that anymore and was thinking of either doing Computer science or Economics I'm not sure which one but for both doing a level maths would help.

I'm really just confused. I just want to focus on my a level but I seriously can't- this is stressing me out. I'd really appreciate some advice.
Original post by latatata
Hi,
I'm unable to go to university this year (2023) because of some visa issues so I need to take a gap year. I was thinking of doing a level maths during this year and apply again next year (2024). But I'm not sure where I should be going to study. Like do I have to go to collage or sixth form?

Also this year I already applied to law school but I don't want to do that anymore and was thinking of either doing Computer science or Economics I'm not sure which one but for both doing a level maths would help.

I'm really just confused. I just want to focus on my a level but I seriously can't- this is stressing me out. I'd really appreciate some advice.

i think colleges may be the way to go as typically most sixth forms like the one i went to will need their students to do 3 a levels. from my understanding, colleges are more lax and offer many more courses so you may have the option only to do maths there. i will say maths is a difficult a level to complete, im still struggling with some hard parts despite doing it over 2 years so if you are confidence in your abilities then go for it! it definitely opens a lot of doors in terms of uni courses but there will be a lot of intense individual studying from on part if you want to finish it in a year.

also most places will spread the course out over 2 years, so you might have to join a year 12/lower sixth/first year further maths class as they usually finish the course during year 1 then do the further course in year 2. alternatively you could look into a private tutor to help you learn the content which will be one to one and at your own pace so its more personalised to you. then you would need to organise sitting the a level at a test centre but i think you will need to pay to do so.

i would advise you to email some sixth forms and colleges about your plan and see what they suggest, they definitely have more insight about the logistics than i do as this is all from the top of my head. good luck and feel free to reach out if you need help with maths or uni tips etc!
Reply 2
Original post by arch17
i think colleges may be the way to go as typically most sixth forms like the one i went to will need their students to do 3 a levels. from my understanding, colleges are more lax and offer many more courses so you may have the option only to do maths there. i will say maths is a difficult a level to complete, im still struggling with some hard parts despite doing it over 2 years so if you are confidence in your abilities then go for it! it definitely opens a lot of doors in terms of uni courses but there will be a lot of intense individual studying from on part if you want to finish it in a year.

also most places will spread the course out over 2 years, so you might have to join a year 12/lower sixth/first year further maths class as they usually finish the course during year 1 then do the further course in year 2. alternatively you could look into a private tutor to help you learn the content which will be one to one and at your own pace so its more personalised to you. then you would need to organise sitting the a level at a test centre but i think you will need to pay to do so.

i would advise you to email some sixth forms and colleges about your plan and see what they suggest, they definitely have more insight about the logistics than i do as this is all from the top of my head. good luck and feel free to reach out if you need help with maths or uni tips etc!

Thank you so much for the replay!

Quick Reply

Latest