The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

I've been at RoHo for 3 years - ask me anything!

Hiya!

I'm Amelia and I've been at Royal Holloway studying History since 2013. I struggle with mental health problems and so repeated my first year in 2014 and then interrupted my second year in early 2016. I lived in Reid for my first year, rented privately in a house share in 2014 and then lived in Founders last year.

I'm living in Founders again from September and I'll be attempting to finish my second year haha. I know I was super nervous to start uni and couldn't find much about actual uni life when I was getting ready to go 3 years ago. Because I've been here so long, I'd like to think I know quite a bit about things now!

If anyone has any questions about halls, the History department, uni life, nightlife in Egham, mental health at uni or anything really then shoot!

Welcome to Royal Holloway :smile:
Hi Amelia, please may you recommend to me some off campus housing and tell me about your experience of renting a house of campus. :smile:
Original post by ameowlia
Hiya!

I'm Amelia and I've been at Royal Holloway studying History since 2013. I struggle with mental health problems and so repeated my first year in 2014 and then interrupted my second year in early 2016. I lived in Reid for my first year, rented privately in a house share in 2014 and then lived in Founders last year.

I'm living in Founders again from September and I'll be attempting to finish my second year haha. I know I was super nervous to start uni and couldn't find much about actual uni life when I was getting ready to go 3 years ago. Because I've been here so long, I'd like to think I know quite a bit about things now!

If anyone has any questions about halls, the History department, uni life, nightlife in Egham, mental health at uni or anything really then shoot!

Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ameowlia
Hiya!

Hi :smile: I'm currently stuck between accepting RoHo and Exeter Penryn campus and have to decide before tomorrow morning as I can't be guaranteed accommodation after that. How have you found the support regarding mental health at RoHo, and are they lenient with deadlines etc if you are having difficulties? Also random question but are there any music practice rooms you can use if you're not doing a music degree? Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by kat16997
Hi :smile: I'm currently stuck between accepting RoHo and Exeter Penryn campus and have to decide before tomorrow morning as I can't be guaranteed accommodation after that. How have you found the support regarding mental health at RoHo, and are they lenient with deadlines etc if you are having difficulties? Also random question but are there any music practice rooms you can use if you're not doing a music degree? Thanks :smile:

Hey! I really hope this isn't too late of a reply aaah! I would say the mental health support is really good. The dyslexia and disability services (which mental health support comes under) are an amazing team of people, I used to have a weekly meeting with one of them just to talk about how things are going. My department were extremely understanding once I was registered with the disability services, allowing me extensions when I needed them and also understanding my absences. Pretty good all round IF you make sure your problems are known. I made the mistake of not telling anyone during my first year so they couldn't help me and I mostly just got into trouble. Once you tell tutors and your department and start seeing people at the uni who are there to help you, things get a lot better.
I'm not 100% sure but I think that anyone can book to use a music practice room! If not, I'm sure if you email the music department and ask nicely, they would probably allow it!
Really hope this reply is useful!
Reply 4
Original post by SimplyBisa
Hi Amelia, please may you recommend to me some off campus housing and tell me about your experience of renting a house of campus. :smile:

Hi there,
I can't really give you a recommendation as the houses/rooms that are available change a lot! I looked on spareroom.com and also on the various RHUL groups on facebook that are for people looking for a room. I lived in Nightingale Shott which was a few minutes walk from the back gate but it's cheaper to look at places in Englefield Green which is down the road from Egham.

I found my room very last minute, about a week before term started, and it was pretty expensive. Obviously it's a lot more expensive than living in halls, you have to pay rent and then utility bills and then food shopping etc on top of that. I had been staying in the catered halls on campus so this was a lot to take in at first! I would say if you can get a room that has bills included in the rent price, do that.

I really didn't enjoy living off campus, but that's probably because of my mental health struggles. I felt very isolated and on my own as I wasn't living with people I knew very well. I had a lot of issues with my landlord and the state of the house so that was annoying as well. Most of the people I know really enjoyed renting off campus though, everyone's experience is different! There are some good estate agents in Egham and also the uni provides a big list of some available properties on its website. They help a lot in finding a place and what your housing contract really means so if you're in doubt definitely go to the SU and talk to the housing people. Hope this helps!
Do people go on nights out in London often? I know the SU puts on some events but do people at RHUL only go to London a few times in the year or is it often.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending