The Student Room Group

Economics Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rajive
What subjects?

Biology - BChemistry - BMaths - AEconomics - A
Original post by RallySPORT
So samiz, would you choose a BA over a BSc? And do you think that a BA reduces your career prospects compared to a BSc? Thanks

I don't think it will make much difference depending on which career you are looking at. Most grads schemes will be happy with either degree, for Consulting a masters is likely. It will rarely be a big difference, would I would say is the expected level of Mathematical ablity will vary(at least it did at my uni), in that you had to have a minimum of A level Maths to sit a BSc Economics degree compared to GCSE for BA. This could make a difference to students, in that in BSc, you were assumed to have a solid Maths A level foundation.

I would pick BSc, put that only because I much prefer mathematical modules to long theoretical ones, i.e Why I chose Financial Modules over Law/Management/Environmental Economics. But I would say just look at the course description and decide is that something you would like to study? Do you like the structure? Does it have modules you are likely to do better at? Compared to carreer prospects at this stage as it will be grade not degree that will influence whether you pass the threshold for Grads schemes.
Thanks samiz, that was really good advice.
Original post by RallySPORT
Thanks samiz, that was really good advice.

No problem, nice to hear it helped.
Original post by JRKinder
Maths content depends on the modules you take and which uni you go to. LSE and UCL, for example, require an A* in A level Maths and like to see Further Maths as their first year is heavily based on statistics and other mathematical methods. Some unis offer a BA so are less Mathematical in nature. As a rule though, degree level Economics is far more mathematical than at A level.
Thank you! This is very helpful! One more thing ... do you have to have prior knowledge of economics to study the degree? I did not study it at GCSE, AS
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by idr335
A bit of both really but what surprises a lot of students starting an economics degree is the amount of maths you have to learn throughout your degree. It largely depends on what year your in the amount of essays you write and maths you do tbh.

Thank you! This is very helpful! One more thing ... do you have to have prior knowledge of economics to study the degree? Never studied the subject at GCSE or AS level
Original post by samiz20891
I think I can help you on this. A little background: I did a Bsc Economics degree in 2012 but I don't think the syllabus have changed much since.

This will depend on whether you degree is BA or BSc tbh. The difference in mine between the two was calculus in BA was a little simpler and taught slower and to a lower level and there was a little Econometrics(i.e. Applied Statistics).
However, in my degree BSc Economics, each semister there was one Calculus Module(i.e. Differentiation and Optimisation), one Econometrics and one Micro/Macro module and normally I could choose the fourth module. So at the minimum it would be at least 50% mathematical and I tended to pick a financial/mathematical module as a fourth anyway. This structure was throughout all three years tbh.

If you want mathematical degree, Bsc tends to be more mathematical in my opinion,but if universities will only offer BA it is different in those cases, however if both are offered, BSc will likely be more mathematical but the course description will give you a better Idea.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! This is very helpful! One more thing ... do you have to have prior knowledge of economics to study the degree?
Never studied the subject at GCSE, AS
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Thank you! This is very helpful! One more thing ... do you have to have prior knowledge of economics to study the degree?
Never studied the subject at GCSE, AS

no, micro and macro will start from basics, I.e. Supply and demand and the four key economic policies and then build up. Maths at A level on the other hand is likely to be necessary for Bsc Economics and preferred for BA.
Normally, the requirements tend to prefer Maths at A level as it really helps with both econometrics as well as optimisation(I.e. Differentiation)*
Thank you! This is very helpful! One more thing ... do you have to have prior knowledge of economics to study the degree? I did not study it at GCSE, AS
No problem! And no, if your school doesn't offer it (like mine) then you'll be fine. If it does they may question as to why you didn't do it, but I honestly doubt they'll have time to filter each applicant based on whether or not your school offers A level economics so you should be fine either way.
AS Levels were awful: ABDE (Maths, Economics, English, Computing)
Prospective Unis:
1 - UCL
2 - Nottingham
3 - QMUL
4 - Manchester
5 - City

Interested in Game Theory, Behavioural Economics and Econometrics
Also taking an extra maths module (S2)
Any advice on other unis would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by JRKinder
No problem! And no, if your school doesn't offer it (like mine) then you'll be fine. If it does they may question as to why you didn't do it, but I honestly doubt they'll have time to filter each applicant based on whether or not your school offers A level economics so you should be fine either way.

Ah great. Maybe one of my 5 choices for Maths could be Maths with Economics. :smile:
AS Results: ABBD
Course: Economics and Politics
Prospective Universities: Manchester, Birmingham, Aston, Leicester and possibly Goldsmiths
Original post by samiz20891
no, micro and macro will start from basics, I.e. Supply and demand and the four key economic policies and then build up. Maths at A level on the other hand is likely to be necessary for Bsc Economics and preferred for BA.
Normally, the requirements tend to prefer Maths at A level as it really helps with both econometrics as well as optimisation(I.e. Differentiation)*
Nice! I'm going to be doing Maths and Further Maths at A2. Maybe one of my 5 course choices could be Maths with economics instead it being BSC Maths :smile:
Reply 33
do employers prefer if you do a bsc. Im not planning on taking maths but am taking economics. As levels weren't great for me so i'm dropping maths gonna try really hard this year and if i do well might take a gap year and re apply
Ah great. Maybe one of my 5 choices for Maths could be Maths with Economics. :smile:
Sounds great, go for it! I considered doing Maths and Econ actually, but have finally settled for straight Economics :smile:
Original post by ChrisP97
Hey everyone, I went through the 2016 economics application process, so feel free to ask me any questions. I ultimately applied to LSE, Warwick, Birmingham, UCL, & Nottingham. I received offers from the latter 2 (withdrew application from Birmingham).

Hi Chris,
Firstly, did you do any work experience/read any books? If so, please elaborate
Secondly, did Warwick and LSE give their reasons for rejecting you?
Thanks
results:
gcse: 11a*
as:
AAAA (geography history economics maths)
B (further maths)

thinking oxford, warwick, bath then choose between durham edinburgh st andrews kings

I want a good uni or nothing - does everyone apply to a uni with a lower grade offer?
Original post by ChrisP97
Hey everyone, I went through the 2016 economics application process, so feel free to ask me any questions. I ultimately applied to LSE, Warwick, Birmingham, UCL, & Nottingham. I received offers from the latter 2 (withdrew application from Birmingham).

I haven't done Economics at A-level but I have done maths so was wondering, do they introduce you to the basics of Macro/Micro at Russel Unis? And would they discriminate me in the fact that I didn't do Economics at A-level when comparing me with other students? (Didn't do Economics because my school never offered it)

Also what sort of jobs can it lead to? I was interested in Chartered Accountancy but I might not do A&F as I want a more mathematic/broad financial degree
Original post by chumaniward
results:
gcse: 11a*
as:
AAAA (geography history economics maths)
B (further maths)

thinking oxford, warwick, bath then choose between durham edinburgh st andrews kings

I want a good uni or nothing - does everyone apply to a uni with a lower grade offer?
I was in the same position as you last year, all but one of my options were hyper-competitive (A*AA for three of them, and AAA for two of them), if you're confident of meeting the grades then go for it. Remember, you don't need to fill in all 5 options at the start. You can leave one blank and see if you get offers, and then fill in the 5th one accordingly depending on whether or not you need a safe offer.
Reply 39
Original post by Supplynddemand99
Nice mix :smile:. How much o you think oxford, UCL, Warwick care about GCSEs, because I only got 4A*, 7A's and 2 b's

Oxford generally go for around 6A*s but don't let that deter you. The other two id say your grades wouldn't hinder you at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending