The Student Room Group

Benefits

My parents had their own business for 20+ years. During those times they would work pretty much everyday from morning til night because of how busy it was. You could see how draining it was on them physically and mentally because my mum was always stressed.

They wanted to have some quality at home without worrying about work so they recently sold their business. So now while they are having a few months off without work it means that we're on benefits.

Anyway my question is If I got a part time job will this affect how much benefits we get?

*i know many of you will think this is ridiculous and disagree with us being on benefits but honestly in my whole life I have never spent decent family time with them due to their busy work life. They really do deserve a few months off

**just want to clarify that they will be planning on getting jobs soon
Don't take my absolute word for this, but I have heard something about as long as you earn less than £10K in a year, you're still entitled to benefits. It could all be hearsay so I would definitely contact HR customs if I were you to double check
Original post by Anonymous
My parents had their own business for 20+ years. During those times they would work pretty much everyday from morning til night because of how busy it was. You could see how draining it was on them physically and mentally because my mum was always stressed.

They wanted to have some quality at home without worrying about work so they recently sold their business. So now while they are having a few months off without work it means that we're on benefits.

Anyway my question is If I got a part time job will this affect how much benefits we get?

*i know many of you will think this is ridiculous and disagree with us being on benefits but honestly in my whole life I have never spent decent family time with them due to their busy work life. They really do deserve a few months off

The person above is wrong.

If you get a job, your parents benefits will be affected. You'll have to pay a non-dependents deduction.
It depends on your situation, I think, During sixth form I had a part time job but was obviously in full time education. - this meant that I could work up to 20 hours a week without my parents losing any money or me having to pay anything back. However I think the rules change slightly if you're not in full time education/you're a uni student. But if you're in the same situation that I was then don't worry, you can work up to 20 hours a week without anything being affected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

Dont worry about claiming benefits. If you are eligible, then you are entitled and should very much make a claim.. Go and book an appointment with CAB and get a full benefits assessment. They will work it out for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending