The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Anyone been invited to a Maths pre-sessional course run by Homerton and some other colleges (maybe G&C?)? Does anyone know what this actually involves? Basically it means you get to move in on the 25th September as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 301
In relation to Trinity;
What is the difference between formal and special formal?
What is the dress code for formal/special formal? It says a gown is to be worn and it cannot be over a shirt or pullover, so does this mean i will need a suit jacket?
What seems to be the average living costs of Cambridge? (excluding accommodation)
Original post by tridianprime
Anyone been invited to a Maths pre-sessional course run by Homerton and some other colleges (maybe G&C?)? Does anyone know what this actually involves? Basically it means you get to move in on the 25th September as well.

My college (Homerton) mentioned something like this, but I don't know yet whether I'll be going to the Maths one or the NatSci Maths one (since I'm doing CompSci with Maths). I think the NatSci one starts on the 27th. They also mentioned something about a classics one.
Original post by KingRS
In relation to Trinity;
What is the difference between formal and special formal?
What is the dress code for formal/special formal? It says a gown is to be worn and it cannot be over a shirt or pullover, so does this mean i will need a suit jacket?
What seems to be the average living costs of Cambridge? (excluding accommodation)

You need to wear a suit under a gown with a tie.
No need for a dinner jacket. Just a standard business suit will do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 304
Original post by vincrows
You need to wear a suit under a gown with a tie.
No need for a dinner jacket. Just a standard business suit will do.

It says I need to wear a gown during Formal dinner, Special Formal seems to be 3 times a week so does that mean Formal is the dinner that's on every day? (In the White Book)
I may have read it wrong so please correct me if so

Basically geek week, they teach you a bit of analysis, some uni maths, it's really fun and a good way to ease in, from what I've heard. Look through the 2013 version of this thread for more info.
Whoo! King's sent us an email. We have some stupid book to read and are have an online accommodation form to fill in, plus health questionnaires and forms sent to us by mail. Ooh, and we're getting our college parent letters posted tomorrow! Exciting. :biggrin:
So you're not missing anything then.
That was the only reason she got up before midday on Saturdays.

Prmbrke's formal was her best among all the colleges' formals by far, btw.
The famous Michelin chef still there?

Pretty sure the chef is still there. She must have got lucky and came on one of the days the chef wasn't feeling experimental - some of their desserts are very odd choices...

I've always enjoyed Peterhouse formal when I've gone. People seem to dislike it because the food is often not really formal (pizza, pie) but I think it's great.

Yeh mate since we're the same college.
I am just curious what other colleges will be there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone compile vincrows' tips plzzz
Original post by DJMayes
Pretty sure the chef is still there. She must have got lucky and came on one of the days the chef wasn't feeling experimental - some of their desserts are very odd choices...

I've always enjoyed Peterhouse formal when I've gone. People seem to dislike it because the food is often not really formal (pizza, pie) but I think it's great.

lol Suppose being a Cambridge college's chef is a good position to experiment weird things because there's no danger of losing customers.....:tongue:
Apparently there used to a chef at King's many years ago who liked putting all sorts of fruits (fresh or dried) in the mains. Our niece who was a King's engineer at the time still can't eat any main dish that has some fruit in it, even it's in the sauce. .

Hmmmmm...
Peterhouse is one of few colleges my daughter never been to formal. Maybe because of pizza, pie.......:tongue:
lol Suppose being a Cambridge college's chef is a good position to experiment weird things because there's no danger of losing customers.....:tongue:
Apparently there used to a chef at King's many years ago who liked putting all sorts of fruits (fresh or dried) in the mains. Our niece who was a King's engineer at the time still can't eat any main dish that has some fruit in it, even it's in the sauce. .

Hmmmmm...
Peterhouse is one of few colleges my daughter never been to formal. Maybe because of pizza, pie.......:tongue:

We don't have quite that issue (college is very big on dietary concerns due to some students we've had who basically couldn't eat anything) but over my time we've had things like black pepper jelly, chilli sorbet, and one yoghurt that I can only describe as refrigerated washing powder (and a huge kick in the teeth if you were attempting to show off your formal amid claims it was the best :tongue: ).

Peterhouse is odd as it's the least formal formal despite being the oldest college, but it's great for those of us who would choose Greggs over Pret A Mangers every day of the week...
With cycling do most people wear helmets? I think I should take and wear a helmet but my parents seem to think that most people who only cycle small distances around cambridge don't bother with a helmet
Original post by Whizbox
With cycling do most people wear helmets? I think I should take and wear a helmet but my parents seem to think that most people who only cycle small distances around cambridge don't bother with a helmet

You're more sensible than your parents.
I know a couple of people who had very serious bike accidents in Cambridge (and another with less serious accident) , one of them permanently severely disabled (though wearing a helmet wouldn't have saved him) and the other who recovered after a few weeks hospital stay but his parents was told by the doctor the outcome would've been very different if he hadn't been wearing a helmet. I saw the photo of the helmet was wearing. There was a huge dent on the side.

There are many students who do not wear helmet, but you never know you don't become a next person who's going to be like those two I know.

Please be sensible.

@physicsmaths, back me up!! :biggrin:
When will we get information on accomodation, moving in, general useful information, catering, payment, etc.

Confirmed to Girton for Phys NatSci and haven't heard anything at all
Original post by Mathemagicien
So you can go to other colleges for food? What's to stop someone from staying at a college with a low KFC (kitchen fee), and eating at somewhere where the meals are more subsidised?

You certainly can, but you are likely to have to pay a slightly higher out-of-college price.
You're more sensible than your parents.
I know a couple of people who had very serious bike accidents in Cambridge (and another with less serious accident) , one of them permanently severely disabled (though wearing a helmet wouldn't have saved him) and the other who recovered after a few weeks hospital stay but his parents was told by the doctor the outcome would've been very different if he hadn't been wearing a helmet. I saw the photo of the helmet was wearing. There was a huge dent on the side.

There are many students who do not wear helmet, but you never know you don't become a next person who's going to be like those two I know.

Please be sensible.

@physicsmaths, back me up!! :biggrin:

Indeed I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 317
Original post by Zacken
Whoo! King's sent us an email. We have some stupid book to read and are have an online accommodation form to fill in, plus health questionnaires and forms sent to us by mail. Ooh, and we're getting our college parent letters posted tomorrow! Exciting. :biggrin:

Another King's student here at TSR : D What kind of room are you taking? I'm probably going to choose Spalding - international student and want to stay the vacations in town - but I've heard a lot of first years pick Keynes.

The book thing was pretty unexpected but hey, something to read and get myself in the "Cambridge state of mind" ;p
Original post by eniet
Another King's student here at TSR : D What kind of room are you taking? I'm probably going to choose Spalding - international student and want to stay the vacations in town - but I've heard a lot of first years pick Keynes.

The book thing was pretty unexpected but hey, something to read and get myself in the "Cambridge state of mind" ;p

Whoo! I'm going for Spalding. Same reason as you. Kitchens are a bonus, but my culinary skills max out at making tea, so not much use to me. Not very happy about all the other freshers enjoy themselves over the college bar at Keynes with their ensuites, but I'll live, I suppose.

Haha, I'm not sure if I can work up the motivation to read it, apparently we'll have a group discussion about it in Freshers, so... urgh, King's are such nerds. :lol:

BTW, on that note - you haven't received your CAS yet, have you?
Original post by DJMayes
We don't have quite that issue (college is very big on dietary concerns due to some students we've had who basically couldn't eat anything) but over my time we've had things like black pepper jelly, chilli sorbet, and one yoghurt that I can only describe as refrigerated washing powder (and a huge kick in the teeth if you were attempting to show off your formal amid claims it was the best :tongue: ).

Peterhouse is odd as it's the least formal formal despite being the oldest college, but it's great for those of us who would choose Greggs over Pret A Mangers every day of the week...

Lol it must be really 'thrilling' to wait for your food to be served.
Never had chilli sorbet but it seems adding chilli to sweet thing has been popular trick of chefs lately, like chocolate with chilli, chilli ice cream, etc.

Lol What exactly was the refrigerated washing powder-like thing? Was it white cold stuff scattered on food, like the white stuff in this pic?
If so, that's 'edible snow,' a popular trick by chefs these days......and the brown stiff on the left is 'edible soil'. :biggrin:
........starting to wonder it might be why my daughter liked pembroke's formal.....:tongue:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending