The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marathi
Not 100% sure how to tackle this one.

Finished all my MA work now and currently waiting for provisional dissertation marks in mid-September before final course marks mid-October. Need to get a reference from my MA and I haven't mentioned a single thing about medicine whilst studying aside from me working at a hospital, none of my work has been tailored towards medicine.

I am planning to meet with the course leader (who was not the original leader as she has left which is a bit of a relief) to discuss the reference and why I am planning to go into medicine and that I need my final marks to be sent to Warwick prior to the UCAS deadline. At this time I am worried about the questions and whether this will have irked anyone as I have kept all this to myself despite me only pursuing this MA to help with my GEM plans. Perhaps its just me feeling a bit guilty for keeping the truth from my tutors over the year but I have a feeling that they may be displeased. Due to this I plan to meet with the course leader after the provisional dissertation marks have been released and I will tell him that around Easter time, having had some experience as to what working at a hospital is like, I decided I wanted to pursue medicine but felt that I was too far into the course to start changing my dissertation, etc. and that the MA would help benefit me in my application.

I'm probably just being paranoid, and they probably don't care what I'll go onto do after I leave unless it was a PhD at the same uni ha! But do people feel that this is a good plan of action?

You're probably right in that they don't really give a stuff what you do afterwards. Is the story you're planning to tell the truth? If so, go with it. If not, why do you need to make it up? The fact that your MA is not tailored toward medicine may be a good thing. You've had the opportunity to weigh up what it is you really want to do having seen both sides of your options. Not to mention it may make you a more well-rounded person in general.
Original post by Medici103
You're probably right in that they don't really give a stuff what you do afterwards. Is the story you're planning to tell the truth? If so, go with it. If not, why do you need to make it up? The fact that your MA is not tailored toward medicine may be a good thing. You've had the opportunity to weigh up what it is you really want to do having seen both sides of your options. Not to mention it may make you a more well-rounded person in general.

Well I only did an MA because I am a 2.2 holder, I would have liked to have done an MSc but with my undergrad being a BA it seemed unlikely so I told them I wanted to do the MA to help with my marketing career (what I used to do). I felt if I had told them I was only planning to do an MA to go on to study medicine then they might have felt a lack of interest within the subjects I took and I may be declined a place...
Original post by Marathi
Not 100% sure how to tackle this one.

Finished all my MA work now and currently waiting for provisional dissertation marks in mid-September before final course marks mid-October. Need to get a reference from my MA and I haven't mentioned a single thing about medicine whilst studying aside from me working at a hospital, none of my work has been tailored towards medicine.

I am planning to meet with the course leader (who was not the original leader as she has left which is a bit of a relief) to discuss the reference and why I am planning to go into medicine and that I need my final marks to be sent to Warwick prior to the UCAS deadline. At this time I am worried about the questions and whether this will have irked anyone as I have kept all this to myself despite me only pursuing this MA to help with my GEM plans. Perhaps its just me feeling a bit guilty for keeping the truth from my tutors over the year but I have a feeling that they may be displeased. Due to this I plan to meet with the course leader after the provisional dissertation marks have been released and I will tell him that around Easter time, having had some experience as to what working at a hospital is like, I decided I wanted to pursue medicine but felt that I was too far into the course to start changing my dissertation, etc. and that the MA would help benefit me in my application.

I'm probably just being paranoid, and they probably don't care what I'll go onto do after I leave unless it was a PhD at the same uni ha! But do people feel that this is a good plan of action?

Don't worry about it too much. I didn't tell anyone that I was going into Medicine. I always knew I was. When i was in my final year a few weeks before finishing, I mentioned it to one of the lecturers who I was most comfortable with. I didn't tell my personal supervisor or course leader for the same reason, as I felt they may feel betrayed especially as my BSc was paid for (NHS). But I chose it because it was an area of interest and i knew to get a 1st I need to enjoy the area of study.

Anyways, the lecturer I did tell, was really happy for me and actually said it's brilliant Im moving on. Said will write me a reference and make me shine!. I also had to be choosy with the clinical reference and who I asked this from. But there is always someone who will understand and be happy for you whatever you choose. So don't worry, your being honest and who you decide to tell, is up to you. You don't have to tell your personal supervisor or the course leader etc..*

Good luck!*
Original post by Marathi
Well I only did an MA because I am a 2.2 holder, I would have liked to have done an MSc but with my undergrad being a BA it seemed unlikely so I told them I wanted to do the MA to help with my marketing career (what I used to do). I felt if I had told them I was only planning to do an MA to go on to study medicine then they might have felt a lack of interest within the subjects I took and I may be declined a place...

I understand your concerns. I'm going through a similar thing. You could always ask whoever will doing your reference if they will support you with a reference. That way, if they agree, they have signed on the giving you the best possible reference. Asking someone if they will give you a reference doesn't specify whether it has to be good or bad.

Maybe I'm too cynical....:smile:
Reply 1224
To those of you who its been over a year since graduating, how have you gone about obtaining your reference? I keep putting off the email as I don't know what to say?? What have those of you said and is there a list anywhere of things they need to comment on??
Hey Guys, (QUICK help please).

I am currently studying Biomed and I am predicted a 2:1. (From a low ranking university)

I have been volunteering at a hospital and in a care home for the past 3 months.

I have not yet done the UKCAT but i predict that i will score 700 or above as i have previously done the test and scored 720.

I would like to apply for Warwick GEM. What do you guys think? is there a chance or not?

Thank yo in advance :smile:
Could we maybe post our overall profiles here? As in what work exp has been gained and for how long? I'm applying next year and have been struggling to find any profiles of people that got on and what they did. Unless its just boredom goggles occurring.
Original post by tw781
To those of you who its been over a year since graduating, how have you gone about obtaining your reference? I keep putting off the email as I don't know what to say?? What have those of you said and is there a list anywhere of things they need to comment on??

I emailed a uni tutor earlier this year and told her I was planning on applying to Med School. I might arrange a meeting with her come September though just to talk about it and give her a gift. But I don't know what to give her. I might also send her my personal statement so she can get some background over my ambitions and motivations.

i think academic references are to attest to your ability to study at university. Not sure about that though since some people use work referees.
Reply 1228
Original post by Rasillon
Could we maybe post our overall profiles here? As in what work exp has been gained and for how long? I'm applying next year and have been struggling to find any profiles of people that got on and what they did. Unless its just boredom goggles occurring.

I second this, just to guage the benchmark and demo of applicants.

I've got a BSc in sports psychology and I'm currently doing an MSc in mental health; I've 5 months work experience in A&E and theatre (did this like 5 years go). I did a placement relating to my BSc at an academy, facilitating psychological interventions, for 4 months. I've done voluntary work at a forensic adolescent inpatient unit, assisting with rehabilitation, for 4 months. I've worked at schools teaching children with emotional and mental health difficulties for over a year. I've recently been on placements at a Maudsley IAPT service for 6 months and SLAM psychiatric inpatient unit for 8.

I'm aware that my experiences are heavily saturated with psychology, with the only consolation being that I'm doing a biology module in my MSc, but if I were to proceed onto the interview stage, would this hinder my chances? Aside from making clinical judgements, working in various professional and demanding NHS settings, incoporating principles alluding to specific fields of work, all I have that is medically pertinent is my time in A&E and theatre..
(edited 7 years ago)

Rememebr everyone is from different backgrounds. The mani thing you need is first the minimum academic requirements and then a good UKCAT/GAMSAT. Background then only comes into play at interview when you have to just show off your personality. I wouldn't get stuck comparing yourself to other people as everyone has come into medicine a different way be it the usual biomed-medicine, banker-medicine, ex army-medicine. In y year we have people from all walks of life ::smile:*
Original post by Humz7
I second this, just to guage the benchmark and demo of applicants.

I've got a BSc in sports psychology and I'm currently doing an MSc in mental health; I've 5 months work experience in A&E and theatre (did this like 5 years go). I did a placement relating to my BSc at an academy, facilitating psychological interventions, for 4 months. I've done voluntary work at a forensic adolescent inpatient unit, assisting with rehabilitation, for 4 months. I've worked at schools teaching children with emotional and mental health difficulties for over a year. I've recently been on placements at a Maudsley IAPT service for 6 months and SLAM psychiatric inpatient unit for 8.

I'm aware that my experiences are heavily saturated with psychology, with the only consolation being that I'm doing a biology module in my MSc, but if I were to proceed onto the interview stage, would this hinder my chances? Aside from making clinical judgements, working in various professional and demanding NHS settings, incoporating principles alluding to specific fields of work, all I have that is medically pertinent is my time in A&E and theatre..

Most GEM course I am aware of tend to only consider work experience from within the last 2 years, this is true for Warwick and Notts at least but seems to be the common theme. Although if your psychology experience is heavily patient facing I can't see why they couldn't be considered.
Original post by Kasx8
Fyi, birmingham uni doesnt consider optometry to be sufficiently related to medicine enough so you wont be able to apply.
Source: me applying last year

I sent an email earlier this year to check:

"Thank you for your email. Normally we would consider Optometry for graduate entry medicine.
Kind regards

Rosemarie Pumphrey
Admissions Administrator
College of Medical and Dental Sciences"
Original post by nisha devi
hey congrats.
any tips for QR?

Hey, for QR i actually used a tip that someone else posted on this forum.

Someone posted saying write in big letters on your note pad "flag guess and next" and thats what i wrote. I am quite stubborn when it comes to problem solving and can get a bit carried away and will try and solve the problem even if it is taking a while, which is obviously a bad thing in the QR section. In the exam if there were any questions I was hesitant about solving I just guessed and flagged and moved on. Sounds really silly but it enabled me to finish all the questions and I even had time to come back to some of the harder questions, which I ended up guessing anyway! The medify resource is good for QR it is only slightly harder than the real exam, so helps you prepare for the type of questions that will come up. In the decision making section I spent some time (that i wasnt twiddling my thumbs, going to the toilet and day dreaming) writing down formulas and easy ways to calculate things. This was useful as it got me into the QR mindset.

Anyway I've rambled on a bit now, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Goodluck! and let us know how you get on!*
Original post by eemooz
Hey, for QR i actually used a tip that someone else posted on this forum.

Someone posted saying write in big letters on your note pad "flag guess and next" and thats what i wrote. I am quite stubborn when it comes to problem solving and can get a bit carried away and will try and solve the problem even if it is taking a while, which is obviously a bad thing in the QR section. In the exam if there were any questions I was hesitant about solving I just guessed and flagged and moved on. Sounds really silly but it enabled me to finish all the questions and I even had time to come back to some of the harder questions, which I ended up guessing anyway! The medify resource is good for QR it is only slightly harder than the real exam, so helps you prepare for the type of questions that will come up. In the decision making section I spent some time (that i wasnt twiddling my thumbs, going to the toilet and day dreaming) writing down formulas and easy ways to calculate things. This was useful as it got me into the QR mindset.

Anyway I've rambled on a bit now, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Goodluck! and let us know how you get on!*

I'm glad you wrote this, as i was hoping to use the DM section time to us ether toilet (if needed), but mostly to write formulas i forget to help with the QR section,. But wasn't sure if that would be allowed. Thanks*
Original post by lcsurfer
Rememebr everyone is from different backgrounds. The mani thing you need is first the minimum academic requirements and then a good UKCAT/GAMSAT. Background then only comes into play at interview when you have to just show off your personality. I wouldn't get stuck comparing yourself to other people as everyone has come into medicine a different way be it the usual biomed-medicine, banker-medicine, ex army-medicine. In y year we have people from all walks of life ::smile:*

Im not trying to compare, I'm trying to get a feel for what people have under their belt, for when I apply. It's more like target setting.

Hi! I don't really have a profile yet but I'm going to be applying with a BSc in Biology, hopefully A-Level Chemistry, and maybe 2 more AS's (for Cambridge) In terms of W/E I've shadowed a Consultant Trauma Surgeon for a few days, I'm getting a week or two with him in a few different settings too, and also hopefully a week in an Oncology unit!

Does anyone think I should be looking for more 'caring' experience too? I was going to do it too but I wanted to get the balance between quantity and quality right!
Warwick dream is over :frown:

Did my UCKAT today and it went terrible(for graduate standard):

520 VR
770 QR
720 AR
AVG: 670
any advice guys? I am predicted a first, so should I gamble a choice on Bart's? :/
Hi there.

I volunteered for 3 years on the phone of a suicide helpline and went in to schools to give talks on emotional health and self-harm. I was an agency health care assistant work in care homes for 4 months along side my degree. Then 1 year as a bank health care assistant at major teaching hospital while studying. I had 4 weeks for shadowing experience, each week in a different department Inc GP.
Predicted first in Biomed. Pretty average IB grades. UKCAT of 707.5.

I got offers at:
- Warwick (4 year)
- Barts (4 year)
- Sheffield (5 year)
- Barts (5 year)

It was the suicide helpline work they seemed to value above all else, I would imagine because it was unique. But by all means don't feel there is any kind of textbook perfect applicant that they look for.

I hope this helps so what. Let me know if you have any questions. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Booked my ukcat today for the 15th September .. Should of booked it earlier .. I feel so stupid! .. Is that enough time?*
Reply 1239
Original post by prospectmedic
Hi there.

I volunteered for 3 years on the phone of a suicide helpline and went in to schools to give talks on emotional health and self-harm. I was an agency health care assistant work in care homes for 4 months along side my degree. Then 1 year as a bank health care assistant at major teaching hospital while studying. I had 4 weeks for shadowing experience, each week in a different department Inc GP.
Predicted first in Biomed. Pretty average IB grades. UKCAT of 707.5.

I got offers at:
- Warwick (4 year)
- Barts (4 year)
- Sheffield (5 year)
- Barts (5 year)

It was the suicide helpline work they seemed to value above all else, I would imagine because it was unique. But by all means don't feel there is any kind of textbook perfect applicant that they look for.

I hope this helps so what. Let me know if you have any questions. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's awesome, congratulations on the offers. D'you mind talking about what happened at the interview phase? As in the questions, tests etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending