The Student Room Group

What makes medics so greedy?

Yes they save lives and are compassionate and stuff and full credit to them for that and all BUT I do think they are greedy.

Think about it, every time they are mentioned in the news its never about them curing cancer or anything like that, its always about them wanting more pay and more money for less hours. Bus drivers, firemen, policemen have to work 24/7 and they don't complain. I feel doctors feel they are entitled to some kind of superior treatment.

And then theres the fact that they are quite sneaky. You ask them "Is this strike about money?" and their answer is essentially this:

"No DEFINITELY NOT. This is about completely about patient safety. The government are proposing to stretch resources too thin. They're trying to convert a 5 day service into a 7 day service using the same number of doctors...[and then here it comes...] They need to acknowledge that Saturdays and Sundays are out of hours services."

What they are saying is... if you pay us enough, we'll do the extra work even though its apparently unsafe LOL

So dodgy.

Scroll to see replies

Did you get rejected from Medicine?
Reply 2
4EX
OP
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Did you get rejected from Medicine?

No lol

I would never apply for a job that pays 30K for going around sticking my finger into people's ********s.
Reply 3
Nope. They are superior, hence them being titled as doctors, and that being different to the normal person. They save lives. They deserve to have their weekends.
Reply 4
4EX
OP
Original post by Pinkberry_y
*rectum

I didn't know there was any other way to get to the rectum. I guess you could go through the mouth, theoretically. Im not sure that would be very comfortable.
Original post by 4EX
Yes they save lives and are compassionate and stuff and full credit to them for that and all BUT I do think they are greedy.

Think about it, every time they are mentioned in the news its never about them curing cancer or anything like that, its always about them wanting more pay and more money for less hours. Bus drivers, firemen, policemen have to work 24/7 and they don't complain. I feel doctors feel they are entitled to some kind of superior treatment.

And then theres the fact that they are quite sneaky. You ask them "Is this strike about money?" and their answer is essentially this:

"No DEFINITELY NOT. This is about completely about patient safety. The government are proposing to stretch resources too thin. They're trying to convert a 5 day service into a 7 day service using the same number of doctors...[and then here it comes...] They need to acknowledge that Saturdays and Sundays are out of hours services."

What they are saying is... if you pay us enough, we'll do the extra work even though its apparently unsafe LOL

So dodgy.

Do you actually know what doctors do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Everyone who does medicine does it because its what their parents force them to do, or they just want social prestige.

It's a terrible career path in 2016.
Reply 7
Original post by RooshVee
Everyone who does medicine does it because its what their parents force them to do, or they just want social prestige.

It's a terrible career path in 2016.

But then aren't all career path ****** these days with all the automation going on I'm afraid most jobs can be done by a machine in the near future Doctors jobs can't be automated because you need that human touch which is very important I wouldn't want to be cured by a Robert that was downloaded from a lab
Reply 8
4EX
OP
Original post by Boredomstrikes
Do you actually know what doctors do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Complain about pay
They work very long hours to save your life, leave them alone.
What a load of rubbish :lol:
Original post by 4EX
No lol

I would never apply for a job that pays 30K for going around sticking my finger into people's ********s.

could have sworn most gps get 60-90k (~100k in london), likewise consultants. but if your on about those in 1st 3 years of gp training than more or less ballpark figure.

If you want an easy job with £50/hour be an optometrist.
Reply 12
its not about greed. You wouldn't want to go through 5 years of med school, 2 years of foundation and about 8 years of speciliaty training and earn as much as a train driver.
Its a demanding job, it requires you to sacrifice yourself and if you do that you want to be able to at least not worry about rents, bills and putting your children through education.

Also, making 7 days normal working days means medics HAVE TO be at work then. Making 2 days extra days means they get them off and can use the time to live their own lifes.
Original post by 4EX

So dodgy.

This is such a ridiculous, ignorant thing to say. You show a clear lack of understanding of the BMA strikes, 7 day NHS service, etc.
The other day they were all stupid because they could be making SO MUCH MOAR money being traders. Now they're greedy, but at the same time OP wouldn't do their job because it "only" pays £30K apparently. OP is clearly just a wind-up merchant.
Reply 15
4EX
OP
Original post by Juedjegfewo
This is such a ridiculous, ignorant thing to say. You show a clear lack of understanding of the BMA strikes, 7 day NHS service, etc.

lol my understanding of the strike is perfect. It IS about money.
lolwat

Original post by Jee1
But then aren't all career path ****** these days with all the automation going on I'm afraid most jobs can be done by a machine in the near future Doctors jobs can't be automated because you need that human touch which is very important I wouldn't want to be cured by a Robert that was downloaded from a lab

Doctor jobs could totally be automated to a degree eventually, just people would quite rightly feel a bit weird about it.
Original post by 4EX

So dodgy.

Doctors pay is **** for what they do. They have every right to complain. They could earn multiples of that easily in alternative careers.

Have you seen the starting salary of a doctor? **** that.

The starting salary should be closer to £50,000, not £20whatever it is. So under-valued, it's embarrassing. I think it's a miracle anyone does the job at such low wages, especially in London and the South East.

I'm all for them striking for more money. They should be paid more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Doctors forced to work almost non stop with the threat of being sued for a single medical mistake (obviously more likely to happen when working on the 20th hour of your shift). Meanwhile footballers can get away with "unprofessionalism" on and off the pitch and still take home their 100k+ a week. Mistakes cost little to them
Original post by 4EX

So dodgy.

Bit rich considering you were posting recently about how trading was the only worthwile career and money the only thing of value. Which you were ridiculed for.

Quick Reply

Latest