The Student Room Group

Medicine long term volunteering and work expereince

Hi everyone,
Im just about to start sixth form and desperately want to guarantee some volunteering work experience, which I can uphold for the next 2 years. I was just wondering whether an old people's home would be a suitable location and be recognised by universities as relevant to medicine.
Furthermore, how often- and for how long each day- did you volunteer for? How did this fit in around A levels?
Thank you to anyone who replies!!

By the way I didn't post this on the work experience megathread as it seems kinda dead at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BackLumbarJack
Hi everyone,
Im just about to start sixth form and desperately want to guarantee some volunteering work experience, which I can uphold for the next 2 years. I was just wondering whether an old people's home would be a suitable location and be recognised by universities as relevant to medicine.
Furthermore, how often- and for how long each day- did you volunteer for? How did this fit in around A levels?

By the way I didn't post this on the work experience megathread as it seems kinda dead at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes an old persons home is fine. If it's a regular long term thing, then 1-2hours a week is fine.
Reply 2
Hi everyone,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I know lots of people applying for medicine who volunteered in a nursing home.
Another potential thing for you to consider is contact your local hospital and see if there are any volunteering positions there. Towards the middle of year 12 I started volunteering on the reception desk in my local hospital and then worked my way up to volunteering on a ward. Both experiences were invaluable and it really does give you a feeling of a hospital environment! I did three hours one day a week so it wasn't ever too much and then I stopped a few weeks before my exams as I didn't want to mess them around with times etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any "care" environment including old people's homes or children's centre is more than okay. Med schools want to see what you learnt or what empathy you gained from the work experience. The actual location and amount of time is far less important than the learning points.
How can you effectively show what you learnt, rather than regurgitating the monotonous, generic answers that are used by everyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How can you effectively show what you learnt, rather than regurgitating the monotonous, generic answers that are used by everyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the tricky bot of the ps isn't it !!
Talk about if your views changed about any relevant topics , any new insights, etc
(e.g. limitations of what medics can do). As long as it is genuine then it will come across well. Be prepared to talk about what you write at interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending