The Student Room Group

Physics A level advice

i am thinking about doing Physics at A level since my college rejected me Further Maths since i was 1 mark off A*. I got a C at GCSE and i know that is not good but my circumstances were not the best. I took Physics in year 10 and that year March my father passed away so it was really hard for me to concentrate- i tried my best but i couldn't study. In Year 11 i did rest of my GCSEs i got A in biology and B in chemistry and A in maths so it shows i could've gotten a better grade if my circumstances were better. My question is would my College allow me to do Physics at A level?
Ask them. I doubt anyone here works at your college and can give you an accurate answer. Some colleges might accept you, some might not. I doubt they will unless they have an extenuating circumstances clause or whatever. Explain your situation to the College.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AlexLawrence1453
Ask them. I doubt anyone here works at your college and can give you an accurate answer. Some colleges might accept you, some might not. I doubt they will unless they have an extraneous circumstances clause or whatever. Explain your situation to the College.

im sorry but what do you mean by 'extraneous circumstances clause' dont know what it means.
Also yeah i am going to my College in the coming week i will explain it to them hopefully they allow me to do it.
Original post by homere
im sorry but what do you mean by 'extraneous circumstances clause' dont know what it means.
Also yeah i am going to my College in the coming week i will explain it to them hopefully they allow me to do it.

Something like your father dying isn't usually ignored when considering applicants. An extenuating* (whoops) circumstance is one that accounts for irregular behaviour or performance. Lots of education institutions will see that you have reason for doing worse in your GCSEs and be more lenient with the entrance requirements. It's not guaranteed, and might not be enough to let you in with a C in physics, but it's worth a try.
Reply 4
Original post by AlexLawrence1453
Something like your father dying isn't usually ignored when considering applicants. An extenuating* (whoops) circumstance is one that accounts for irregular behaviour or performance. Lots of education institutions will see that you have reason for doing worse in your GCSEs and be more lenient with the entrance requirements. It's not guaranteed, and might not be enough to let you in with a C in physics, but it's worth a try.

Thanks for replying hopefully they let me in i need it for engineering :smile:
Original post by homere

No problem! I wish you well.
Reply 6
Original post by homere

Hi, in the highly unlikely event that they refuse to let you onto Physics.

Self-teach, learn the content and ask them to allow you to take an exam in say January. I doubt they'd let someone who has achieved an A in the mock, not sit the real exam. Schools love their statistics

Good luck anyway man!
physics wuld be a good choice
Reply 8
Original post by Naruke
Hi, in the highly unlikely event that they refuse to let you onto Physics.

Self-teach, learn the content and ask them to allow you to take an exam in say January. I doubt they'd let someone who has achieved an A in the mock, not sit the real exam. Schools love their statistics

Good luck anyway man!

Thanks for the advice will do this if they dont let me do Physics :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest