The Student Room Group

Are these good options ?

Hi everyone
i chose : geography, Spanish and triple science for my GCSE options. I also wanna do either art or latin. Has anyone got any experiences on any of these subjects that'll help me come to a decision of what to choose?! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Amethyst_
Hi everyone
i chose : geography, Spanish and triple science for my GCSE options. I also wanna do either art or latin. Has anyone got any experiences on any of these subjects that'll help me come to a decision of what to choose?! Thanks :smile:

Did all of them except Latin. Geography was really good, really enjoyed it and will be carrying on to a level! Triple science for me was also very good, I enjoy science so I guess that's why! Spanish ahhh.... We got made to do a language and I wasn't particularly interested in it at all but I still tried my best anyway. I did art and it was good, a good stress reliever from the more academic, knowledge based subjects. Idk about Latin but if I was in your position I would probably choose art.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by amyjf
Did all of them except Latin. Geography was really good, really enjoyed it and will be carrying on to a level! Triple science for me was also very good, I enjoy science so I guess that's why! Spanish ahhh.... We got made to do a language and I wasn't particularly interested in it at all but I still tried my best anyway. I did art and it was good, a good stress reliever from the more academic, knowledge based subjects. Idk about Latin but if I was in your position I would probably choose art.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile: thanks for your reply

Yes I decided I'd choose Triple sci, geography, art & Spanish. Since you done the same options I'm about to choose, were you able to cope with all the workload especially as Art is a time consuming subject.

Hi :smile: thanks for your reply

Yes I decided I'd choose Triple sci, geography, art & Spanish. Since you done the same options I'm about to choose, were you able to cope with all the workload especially as Art is a time consuming subject.

Overall I found the GCSE workload very manageable. Overall I did 12 subjects (eng,maths,bio,chem,physics,RE,Spanish,art,DT,geo,PE). I also do sport to a high level so I didn't have loads of time but it taught me to be organised and do my work on the day I got it. Art much to my surprise was never stressful, if you use all your lessons to their full advantage and work hard during them you will find you will never get behind. I often did art on the weekends as it allowed more time and did my other subject work during the week.

I never found the geography workload to be that much, a lot of content but if you know it and revise for topic tests you will do well.

In contrast to what lots of people say I never found triple science workload to be that much? The only thing was the controlled assessments which were so annoying as they are marked really harshly so you have to do it right! I didn't find it that bad having 9 exams at the end of yr11 as it allowed me an extra year to grasp the content and I enjoyed it so I didn't mind revising it.

I never really got any outside work for Spanish except learning controlled assessments. I advise to start learning the speaking ones about a month before as its so much less stressful then trying to last minute cram. Writing was fine tbh because if you forgot it you could just sort of make it up.

Best of luck, I hope you enjoy your subjects! (I'm sure you will but I guess I'm biased😂)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by amyjf
Overall I found the GCSE workload very manageable. Overall I did 12 subjects (eng,maths,bio,chem,physics,RE,Spanish,art,DT,geo,PE). I also do sport to a high level so I didn't have loads of time but it taught me to be organised and do my work on the day I got it. Art much to my surprise was never stressful, if you use all your lessons to their full advantage and work hard during them you will find you will never get behind. I often did art on the weekends as it allowed more time and did my other subject work during the week.

I never found the geography workload to be that much, a lot of content but if you know it and revise for topic tests you will do well.

In contrast to what lots of people say I never found triple science workload to be that much? The only thing was the controlled assessments which were so annoying as they are marked really harshly so you have to do it right! I didn't find it that bad having 9 exams at the end of yr11 as it allowed me an extra year to grasp the content and I enjoyed it so I didn't mind revising it.

I never really got any outside work for Spanish except learning controlled assessments. I advise to start learning the speaking ones about a month before as its so much less stressful then trying to last minute cram. Writing was fine tbh because if you forgot it you could just sort of make it up.

Best of luck, I hope you enjoy your subjects! (I'm sure you will but I guess I'm biased😂)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you ! I'm not that great at art (especially drawing people and faces 😂) but I'll give it a go! Thanks for ur time :smile:
Hi everyone

I am currently doing my second year (year 11) of spanish, triple science and geography. Personally, I love all of these subjects but they are hard work. A language is a good option to take and I don't think it's too difficult. I would say to make sure you know how to conjugate and learn the key words from the spec. You will have 9 exams for triple science, all within around 3 weeks. Therefore, ensure you keep revising little things along the way so you don't forget things by your exams. Geography is alright, though there are many case studies you have to learn, so make sure you revise. Overall, these are good subjects but they require your hard work so good luck!! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest