The Student Room Group

RCSEd National Students Surgical Skills Competition

Hi guys!

I have recently received a link about the final year RCSEd National Students Surgical Skills Competition and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this event?

It's the first time I've heard of it and wanted to know more about how it works and the preparation/support offered (there doesn't seem to be much on the website at the moment). Do they teach the skills during the heats before being assessed or is it more for students that already know surgical skills who must perform the skills when asked?

Any insight would be appreciated!
Original post by Simantha19
Hi guys!

I have recently received a link about the final year RCSEd National Students Surgical Skills Competition and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this event?

It's the first time I've heard of it and wanted to know more about how it works and the preparation/support offered (there doesn't seem to be much on the website at the moment). Do they teach the skills during the heats before being assessed or is it more for students that already know surgical skills who must perform the skills when asked?

Any insight would be appreciated!

It says on the website "medical students will compete to see who is a cut above the rest by learning and then demonstrating their skills such as suturing and knot-tying to laparoscopic skills tests" so presumably they must teach you beforehand.

Nevertheless if you're entering with a view to trying to win then you should already be familiar with the tasks you'll be performing. If your uni has a surgical society contact them to see if they host surgical skills sessions or you could get down to your local butchers and suture up some pig belly.
Reply 2
Original post by plrodham1
It says on the website "medical students will compete to see who is a cut above the rest by learning and then demonstrating their skills such as suturing and knot-tying to laparoscopic skills tests" so presumably they must teach you beforehand.

Nevertheless if you're entering with a view to trying to win then you should already be familiar with the tasks you'll be performing. If your uni has a surgical society contact them to see if they host surgical skills sessions or you could get down to your local butchers and suture up some pig belly.

thanks! when I read that I wasn't too sure exactly what they meant but I'm not planning on entering with a view to win...I know there are a lot more experienced students out there! I'd like to enter for the surgical experience.
What other skills are skills are in the competition apart from suturing, knot tying and laproscopy?

Can someone explain the competition to me please
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending