The Student Room Group

Please share your experience - Bills and subscriptions per month

Hi guys,

sorry for the longer post already but I am quite confused & worried :frown:

I just moved into a new apartment and have to pay quite a lot of bills like water, gas, etc. etc. When I then also look at my netflix & amazon prime membership I realized that I am actually spending quite a lot of money fixed per month before I even do groceries and other stuff like going out:colondollar:.
Now I spoke to some friends who said that I should just cancel netflix and amazon prime for now to cut my costs.
But before doing so I wanted to ask all of you how you do it? I mean, yeah, of course, I can cancel my subscriptions but isn't there a better way somehow to keep on top of my bills and still manage to have a life!? I live currently in Manchester if this helps...

Can you help me please??:biggrin: Just wanna hear your experience and see what you guys do. Some friends also told me that they are not paying any bills cause their landlord does it so would that be better? If I look on the internet I am always a bit scared to use services which want to access my bank account or some data and stuff, cause I am not sure what happens to my data then. Do you use something like this or do you also have data concerns? Perhaps it would make my life easier :s-smilie::redface:

Thank you !!!
If you've got Prime, do you really need Netflix too? It's also worth have a look around for deals.
I have Amazon Prime because I get the student discount and do actually use it for shopping, books, shows etc. I don't bother with netflix since I download and films and tv shows I want to watch for free...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool, thanks a lot for your answers!!!

Now, how you do it when you try to save money on your recurring bills? I heard a lot of people use spreadsheets for that?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by petergriffin95
Cool, thanks a lot for your answers!!!

Now, how you do it when you try to save money on your recurring bills? I heard a lot of people use spreadsheets for that?

Spreadsheets do help many people. I don't use them because I'm too lazy and most of my recurring bills aren't weekly/monthly, but if you do have loads, laying them all out on a spreadsheet would probably be useful. I mean, when I was in sixth-form and being taught how to get ready for uni, spreadsheets were a main method we were taught about for seeing where our money is going.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks a lot Moonstruck16 for your response.
Do you know what people try to get out of the spreadsheets? Cause just looking at my bills is confusing and difficult but it's quite a struggle to actually make my finances better??
Original post by petergriffin95
Thanks a lot Moonstruck16 for your response.
Do you know what people try to get out of the spreadsheets? Cause just looking at my bills is confusing and difficult but it's quite a struggle to actually make my finances better??

I imagine it's just a breakdown of where your money is going. So as bills are obviouslybthe most important thing, you'd set out what bills you have and how much you expect will come out of your bank and probably when. Then that'll leave you with your 'spending ' money, which could then be divided up into how much is reserved for food, how much for transport, how much for fun, how much for an emergency fund etc.

Essentially it's probably to make budgeting easier instead of just having a load of money and trying to budget on the go and then finding out you've overspent on say, food, for that month and as a consequence don't have enough money left for transport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Rent: 305
Water: 40
Electricity: 25
Sky: 25
Phone: 10
Debt: 10
Council Tax: 15
Credit Account: 10

Total Rent plus bills : 440

Bus+Train: 120
Food+Toiletries: 100

Total Monthly Expenses: 220

All figures are per month. Since my general spending only comes to £660 and i allow another £100 spending money i essentially save anything i earn above £800. Right now i'm aiming to save about £500 for a deposit on a place closer to work and with less accumulated bills. The places i'm thinking of would allow me to save £60 on transport costs and if i go for a spare room i can reduce my rent+bill costs.
you just need to work out what you can and can't afford, this will in part be personal preference (i.e. if you have £50 a week after bills and food and rent then you decide if you want the money for clothes, netflix or going out)

bills do add up quickly and my personal preference would always be for a bills included contract if you can get one but it's too late for that, make sure you have the best deal you can for each bill and then work on keeping your usage as low as possible to keep costs down... personally I would streamline to one viewing service (netflix OR amazon) but it shouldn't be an issue to find £5-10 a month for most people if you want netflix

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending