The Student Room Group

Further maths rejected help!

My Sixth Form college didn't allow me to do Further Maths as I was 1 mark off an A*. I need some suggestions onto how I can convince them so I can do Further maths. I really want to do it as I enjoy maths and would need itfor my uni application. I either want to do maths degree or go into engineering so I need it either way. Also I don't enjoy my other A levels as I do maths A level so it would make sense to do further maths- I know it's hard but I'm up for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated need help😔
Reply 1
Have you spoken to your school about wanting to do it despite you missing an A*? If so what did they say?
Reply 2
Original post by Ryanzmw
Have you spoken to your school about wanting to do it despite you missing an A*? If so what did they say?

Yes I did and they said 'you can't do it unless you have the A* even if it is one mark.' Also they said that they only allow some people who have got all As and A* s to do further maths sadly I don't even meet that😰
Original post by Homere123
Yes I did and they said 'you can't do it unless you have the A* even if it is one mark.' Also they said that they only allow some people who have got all As and A* s to do further maths sadly I don't even meet that😰

That's a silly rule, I know people who've gotten A* at maths and FM without an A* at GCSE. You can self study it the material isn't very difficult if you're not too bad at maths. Check out the further maths support program, they help people in your situation. You'll definitely need it for a maths degree and if you get an A while self teaching they would be very unreasonable to not allow you to continue.
You don't need further maths for engineering or maths. Obviously it's useful, but it's far from the end of the world - you'd eventually get taught it and beyond at uni anyway.

I mean, I don't think there's a lot you can do. You could do AS further maths next year, provided that your AS maths grade is good this year. If it's a school policy that's been fairly used on all students, there isn't much of a case, unfortunately. I'm sure you knew beforehand you had to get an A* to do Further Maths anyway.

Lastly, Maths A Level in itself is quite difficult. Loads of people in my class with A*/A ended up with C/Ds, so you might also have to consider whether you'd be able to cope too.
Reply 5

Ultimately I think you just need to keep putting up a fight, don't take no for an answer. This is a ridiculous policy. Maybe if you have your parents speak to the school they might take this a little more seriously.
Reply 6
Original post by Ryanzmw
Ultimately I think you just need to keep putting up a fight, don't take no for an answer. This is a ridiculous policy. Maybe if you have your parents speak to the school they might take this a little more seriously.

Yeah but my mum is advising not to take it and she doesn't know much English lol so yeah I'm doomed every way😔
Reply 7
Original post by meowgoesthedog
That's a silly rule, I know people who've gotten A* at maths and FM without an A* at GCSE. You can self study it the material isn't very difficult if you're not too bad at maths. Check out the further maths support program, they help people in your situation. You'll definitely need it for a maths degree and if you get an A while self teaching they would be very unreasonable to not allow you to continue.

Yeah I will check out the further maths support programme. Thanks for advice
Reply 8
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
You don't need further maths for engineering or maths. Obviously it's useful, but it's far from the end of the world - you'd eventually get taught it and beyond at uni anyway.

I mean, I don't think there's a lot you can do. You could do AS further maths next year, provided that your AS maths grade is good this year. If it's a school policy that's been fairly used on all students, there isn't much of a case, unfortunately. I'm sure you knew beforehand you had to get an A* to do Further Maths anyway.

Lastly, Maths A Level in itself is quite difficult. Loads of people in my class with A*/A ended up with C/Ds, so you might also have to consider whether you'd be able to cope too.

On their sixth form website it said an A was required to study Further Maths so I didn't know beforehand. I told them this and they simply just said that's only in special cases then why is it there then? Lol they had no answer. I am determined to do well in maths A level it's because I like maths and it's my favourite subject. I want further maths so that I'm not at an disadvantage in the future I want no regrets.
On their sixth form website it said an A was required to study Further Maths so I didn't know beforehand. I told them this and they simply just said that's only in special cases then why is it there then? Lol they had no answer. I am determined to do well in maths A level it's because I like maths and it's my favourite subject. I want further maths so that I'm not at an disadvantage in the future I want no regrets.

If they've lied about their requirements, then say it altered your revision as you thought it meant you could get away with an A without having to get A*(which prior, you thought was unnecessary).

I don't think it's fair if they've changed/lied about their requirements in the last second.
Retake your GCSE?

Quick Reply

Latest