The Student Room Group

Barts and the London- 2017 Entry Applicants for Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gogregg
Would I still get UCAS points for an AS-Level when I've dropped the subject. I'm predicted A*A*A*, and I have an A in my fourth subject at AS, so would that be 168 or 188 points?
I'm also doing EPQ if my proposed title gets accepted, but let's say I got a B in it, or was predicted a B, would that be an issue? I don't think it'll happen, because I'm doing a topic that properly interests me, but just in case...

The UCAS points from your AS will go forward but they are worth 40% of the full A2 now so 188 points. As long as you've done well in ukcat you could probably get away without an epq so doing one would really strengthen your application.
Reply 61
How do I calculate my tariff points?
Predicted AAA so = 144 points
How do I calculate the ukcat points?

And is there anything else I can add to boost tarriff?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kraytz
How do I calculate my tariff points?
Predicted AAA so = 144 points
How do I calculate the ukcat points?

And is there anything else I can add to boost tarriff?

you can add up your ucas point here https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/calculator
UKCAT is a score you get, have you sat it yet?
Reply 63
Original post by lowkey-loki
you can add up your ucas point here https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/calculator
UKCAT is a score you get, have you sat it yet?

Yeah I got 676 but that doesn't get added to your tariff does it? How do people get tarriffs of 391 then?
Original post by Kraytz
Yeah I got 676 but that doesn't get added to your tariff does it? How do people get tariffs of 391 then?

People get high tariffs by doing extra A-levels, EPQ's, music qualifications etc.
As i'm sure you know for Barts they take a 50:50 weighting. There estimations for the 2016 data are:
Tariff 755 (282) UKCAT 2,570 (1930)Tariff 630 (242) UKCAT 2,690 (2020)Tariff 550 (216) UKCAT 2,740 (2060)Tariff 500 (196) UKCAT 2,810 (2130)
so i'm assuming you got like 2028 total ( i just multiplied your ukcat avg by 3) you'd need a ucas tariff of around 240.
Are you in year 12? if you get the opportunity to do an EPQ it would really help your application to barts.
Reply 65
tariff: 164
ukcat: 2050 (average 683)

my tariff isn't very good but my school doesn't let us do EPQ's so i don't know whether i stand much of a chance which is annoying because i really want to go to barts :frown:
Reply 66
Hi y'all

So i'm trying to decide whether to apply to Queens this year but i'm unsure of my ucas tariff and i don't know if it's good enough :frown: I really cannot afford to waste an application this time round since i'm a re applicant and taking a gap year. My stats are:

GCSE's: 1A*, 7A's
AS: AAAA level: A*AA

UKCAT: 763.3 average, 2290 total, SJT band 1

I know they have a 50;50 weighting on both ukcat and ucas tariff.... which i think is 172 for me although i'm not entirely sure i've calculated it right :s-smilie:

Can someone please advise me on how likely i am to get an interview and how strong my application seems so far? I don't want to waste an application if i'm not in with a chance for interview :afraid:
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone know if they look at the subjects/qualifications that go into creating your UCAS tariff? Mine is very high, mainly because I have so many dance and music examinations! Would this give me a real advantage, or will it not be considered as strongly if my tariff isn't so academic? (I'm predicted A*AA and doing an EPQ too!)
Original post by emelinaw
Does anyone know if they look at the subjects/qualifications that go into creating your UCAS tariff? Mine is very high, mainly because I have so many dance and music examinations! Would this give me a real advantage, or will it not be considered as strongly if my tariff isn't so academic? (I'm predicted A*AA and doing an EPQ too!)

They just want a high UCAS tariff! Definitely apply if it is very high! :biggrin:
I'm a graduate who's just started the five year course at Barts.

My stats were:
1st Biomedical Science
UKCAT : 685 Band 1
A level's - extremely poor lol

Definitely worth a try with your stats as I know people with lower UKCAT scores who got a place.
Original post by ExcitedMedic

My stats were:
1st Biomedical Science

Definitely worth a try with your stats as I know people with lower UKCAT scores who got a place.

Did you apply to the GEM course also?
Reply 71
Original post by ExcitedMedic

My stats were:
1st Biomedical Science

Have you met anyone with 2:1 in the five year course? Any idea what UKCAT score they got too?

Been reading and was speaking to someone on pm with a 2:1 last year and 800+ UKCAT and didn't even get an interview!
Reply 72
Original post by rayrk
Have you met anyone with 2:1 in the five year course? Any idea what UKCAT score they got too?

Been reading and was speaking to someone on pm with a 2:1 last year and 800+ UKCAT and didn't even get an interview!

That's a good question because I'm in the same position too (except my UKCAT is much lower lol), I can only pressume that their PS wasn't good because Barts is a UKCAT heavy university and a score of 800+ "should" guarantee an interview. Hmm, I'd like to know too since I'm considering applying.
Hi
Can someone please advise.
GCSE 8 A* 3A
A2 predictions AAA*
UKCAT 730
With my A2 predictions, Is it wise to apply to Barts with my low ucas tariff? Even If I do EPQ & add my LAMDA exam, it'll be 206.
Could someone help me out with the my tariff.

I'm predicted 2A* 2A at A2 and also have an AS at grade A.

With a UKCAT of 713 is this likely to be competitive?
Original post by HopelessMedic
Could someone help me out with the my tariff.

I'm predicted 2A* 2A at A2 and also have an AS at grade A.

With a UKCAT of 713 is this likely to be competitive?

228, yeah probably. I am applying with a tariff of 204 and 793 UKCAT
(edited 7 years ago)
How much PBL is there at Barts? I've hear there's quite a lot but I thought it was an integrated/systems based course
Original post by AmaduM
That's a good question because I'm in the same position too (except my UKCAT is much lower lol), I can only pressume that their PS wasn't good because Barts is a UKCAT heavy university and a score of 800+ "should" guarantee an interview. Hmm, I'd like to know too since I'm considering applying.

I haven't met all the graduates yet but to be fair, all the ones I have asked got a 1st. I think personal statements were looked at too though because I also know some people who had high UKCATs, a 1st and still didn't get an interview. A lot of the time it can just be down to luck and who else is applying in your cycle so if you really want to go to Barts, I'd say it's worth a shot.

Original post by rayrk

We had decision analysis in our UKCAT and I heard they've removed it this year? I know people on the course who had in the range of 610-640 averages on their UKCAT.

Is there no way you could scrape a 1st?
Original post by HopelessMedic
How much PBL is there at Barts? I've hear there's quite a lot but I thought it was an integrated/systems based course

I've only just started so I wouldn't be able to give a great overview but in first term of 1st year there is one a week and in second term it's 2. Not sure about subsequent years though.

Original post by Member1995
Did you apply to the GEM course also?

I didn't bother because I thought my UKCAT score was too low but looking back, I wish I did.

Note: I somehow didn't realise I already had a TSR account so excuse the use of this one and not "ExcitedMedic"
Hi there
my stats are
GCSEs 9A* 2As
AS AAAB (bio chem english lit and maths)
A2 predictions A*A*A* (bio chem and english lit)
UKCAT 680 sj band one

do you think i have a chance of getting in?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending