The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fbiemad
I would say in terms of grade you are fine. Depends on the UMS/Perecentages though... (On French and Geography the % and on Maths the UMS of each module)
I am not sure, but I think some Universities prefer you to do the AS even if it doesnt count towards A-Levels. LSE might be one of them, but I do not know. Because to be honest predictions are not always correct and its hard for them to know if for example your Economics is actually A* level or not. It would have been better if you did AS Economics exam.
Also, it would have been slightly better if you did Further maths instead of the French, but this is not that big of a deal since you will be doing the AS further maths at least.

Overall I think you have good grades so you just have to wait and see if you will get an offer or not, since sometimes very strong applicants get rejected too. The wait for LSE to respond will be very long for many applicants so it will be tough... (Few will hear back early, but many hear back near the end)
No one is guaranteed an offer for the top courses in top universities. Good luck. :smile:

Okay thanks. I'm not sure if you're aware of the Linear A level system but there is no way I could've done an AS in economics; my school didn't offer it therefore I cannot be discriminated against for not having it surely.

It seems like overall you don't rate my chances too highly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Don Joiner
Okay thanks. I'm not sure if you're aware of the Linear A level system but there is no way I could've done an AS in economics; my school didn't offer it therefore I cannot be discriminated against for not having it surely.

It seems like overall you don't rate my chances too highly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I dont know that much about the new system. I thought colleges "can" take the AS but it just wont count towards your A-Levels. In my college the students did their AS even though it doesnt count towards their final grade. (For Economics)

No, I never said your chances are low. :smile:
I said you have a good chance, but also depends on the % of your Geography and French (and also how LSE judges the students who didnt take the AS, but I do not know that much on this topic, hence I put it in a bracket). Your maths UMS are good enough.

Last year I saw many good students get rejected while students with slightly lower grades got accepted (rare, but I saw a few), which is why I said you have to wait and see what happens... You just have to wish for the best if it makes sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fbiemad
Yeah, I dont know that much about the new system. I thought colleges "can" take the AS but it just wont count towards your A-Levels. In my college the students did their AS even though it doesnt count towards their final grade. (For Economics)

No, I never said your chances are low. :smile:
I said you have a good chance, but also depends on the % of your Geography and French (and also how LSE judges the students who didnt take the AS, but I do not know that much on this topic, hence I put it in a bracket). Your maths UMS are good enough.

Last year I saw many good students get rejected while students with slightly lower grades got accepted (rare, but I saw a few), which is why I said you have to wait and see what happens... You just have to wish for the best if it makes sense.

Yeh we had no option to sit an AS at the end of year 12 or any exam in economics for that matter,

I got 99 and 91 UMS in French and geography respectively btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh we had no option to sit an AS at the end of year 12 or any exam in economics for that matter,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats good.
You should be fine then. (Again there is no threshold which gives you an offer if you pass it, so you never know. Personally I think you have a good chance.)

By the way, I am just asking this for my own information, but is French spoken in your country or did you learn it from scratch?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you already applied?
Original post by Fbiemad
Thats good.
You should be fine then. (Again there is no threshold which gives you an offer if you pass it, so you never know. Personally I think you have a good chance.)

By the way, I am just asking this for my own information, but is French spoken in your country or did you learn it from scratch?

Thanks, no I'm from the UK so not a native French speaker, I picked it up in year 9 and found it quite easy really!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fbiemad
Have you already applied?

No I'll apply some time this coming week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, no I'm from the UK so not a native French speaker, I picked it up in year 9 and found it quite easy really!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'll apply some time this coming week

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok.
Same, I am planning to apply this week but I think I might have to apply the beginning of next week, so probably 3rd of October. Just need to do a few little changes on the PS and then everything is ready to go.
Original post by Fbiemad
Ok.
Same, I am planning to apply this week but I think I might have to apply the beginning of next week, so probably 3rd of October. Just need to do a few little changes on the PS and then everything is ready to go.

How are you feeling about your PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are you feeling about your PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will private message you.
Reply 150
what is the best time to apply?? Im still drafting my ps...
How is everyone feeling about their personal statement? I find its so hard to know whether mine is good or not :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mcr342
what is the best time to apply?? Im still drafting my ps...

Anytime before the deadline is fine. Honestly, makes no difference if you apply earlier or not. Once yours PS is done then its good to go.
(edited 7 years ago)
How is everyone feeling about their personal statement? I find its so hard to know whether mine is good or not :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you feel good about your PS? If yes, then it should be good. Dont make it too complicated for yourself, considering that you have finished it already means that it should be fine, otherwise you would not have felt as if it is finished yet. (If it makes sense) :smile:
Reply 154
I've finally finished my personal statement mines almost 4000 characters however when I post it into ucas I have no space or lines left to keep my paragraphs seprate! :/ do you think this will be a problem espec as the LSE admission team will be reading thousands of applications they'd want to read something In a nice layout
Does anyone think LSE would be reluctant to give too many offers for the same course to students from the same college? My grades were decent and I think I have a fair PS, but considering there are 10+ students in my college applying to LSE Economics, most of which have excellent AS grades (>90% average ums conversions based on notional grade boundaries), I am a bit worried.
Reply 156
Original post by AM66
Is no one applying for Business maths and stats or stats and finance??

I'm applying to BMS. May also apply to Maths with Econ but my UMS is shite and I don't think my PS is amazing as well.
Original post by arandomguyonline
Does anyone think LSE would be reluctant to give too many offers for the same course to students from the same college? My grades were decent and I think I have a fair PS, but considering there are 10+ students in my college applying to LSE Economics, most of which have excellent AS grades (>90% average ums conversions based on notional grade boundaries), I am a bit worried.

No, it doesnt matter at all...
I even once read someone saying 3 people got into LSE for Economics from the same school which was in another country (I "think" it was in Singapore).

Which means it is the same for UK colleges. I have heard of it happening.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fbiemad
No, it doesnt matter at all...
I even once read someone saying 3 people got into LSE for Economics from the same school which was in another country (I "think" it was in Singapore).

Which means it is the same for UK colleges. I have heard of it happening.

thanks, 3 is a relatively small number to use as an example but i get your point.
Original post by JohnGreek
One of the people I met here comes from a large school in Cyprus, which sent around 15 to LSE this year, some of whom (it is quite possible) got offers for the same course.

Other than using your school to contextualise your results (with postcode flags and all that), I can't imagine why any university would put a limit on the number of people with offers.

Well I was afraid that they would want some diversity in terms of college chosen (applicants from the same school may be compared more often idk :biggrin:). Also, my school's oxbridge co-ordinator advised us not to apply for the same course at the same college in oxbridge, so I was worried that this may apply to LSE as well since there are not separate colleges like Cambridge.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending