The Student Room Group

Maths Proof - Help!

Show that the product of the first n even positive integers is 2n(n!). [Hint: you can do it in one line.]

Please help! lol
Original post by Higherdude
Show that the product of the first n even positive integers is 2n(n!). [Hint: you can do it in one line.]

Please help! lol

1×2×3×4×...×n=n! \displaystyle 1 \times 2 \times 3 \times 4 \times... \times n = n!

thats your starting point
Couldnt you just do it by induction?
Reply 3
Original post by DylanJ42
1×2×3×4×...×n=n! \displaystyle 1 \times 2 \times 3 \times 4 \times... \times n = n!

thats your starting point

I have done this, and I have also used 2x4x6x8...x2n

But I don't know what to do after that...
Original post by Higherdude
I have done this, and I have also used 2x4x6x8x2n

But I don't know what to do after that...

2×4×6×8×...×2n=2(1)×2(2)×2(3)×2(4)×...×2(n) \displaystyle 2 \times 4 \times 6 \times 8 \times... \times 2n = \displaystyle 2(1) \times 2(2) \times 2(3) \times 2(4) \times... \times 2(n)

now take all those 2s at the front of the brackets to the front and get

2n×1×2×3×4×...×n \displaystyle 2^n \times 1 \times 2 \times 3 \times 4 \times... \times n = 2n(n!) \displaystyle 2^n(n!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by an_atheist
Couldnt you just do it by induction?

Lol a bit overkill. It trivially follows from the definition of factorial, as DylanJ42 showed.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Lol a bit overkill. It trivially follows from the definition of factorial, as DylanJ42 showed.

But it is possible. If you cannot think of a place to start, then it is as valid a thing to try as any.
Very lengthy though it may be.
Reply 7
It was actually meant to be 2^n

Quick Reply

Latest