The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rk2k14
Yeah^ extreme situations are a pretty poor basis to judge a person's moral compass.

Are they though?

Couldn't you say people are only properly morally tested when the consequences are extreme?
Reply 9221
Original post by Lúcio
I would argue it does tell you a little about yourself morally.

For instance, when both losses were equal, my most important deciding factor would be which person was "I the right". For instance I was more likely to save people who were crossing on the green man than ones who were crossing on the red man.

So it does tell you a bit about moral values, although I agree there are some huge problems with it. Like you said, instinct may come in to it more than situational assessment, and it's obviously not representative of the real world. As a driver you're always gonna swerve...

I took pretty much no notice of gender, fitness or profession - the only individual characteristic I accounted for was age and species. I think it's a very simplistic experiment on purpose but you can go further with it if you ask for a brief explanation following any decision.

Essentially, there are two main issues with the test:

It's a "what would you do based question". I'm sure we've all looked back at things, and after thinking about them wondered what we'd do differently. If I was driving a car and came across one of those scenario's I'd probably wish I could go back and do things differently in retrospect, and I'd want to do them differently based on my "morals". Your action at the time would be based entirely on instinct, rather than having even a few seconds to think about it. I know that even a fox on the road will probably make me swerve. If you are going fast enough to not be able to break in time, meaning you had to swerve - then you wouldn't have the time to think at all, otherwise it would be too late in you would probably end up going straight on most occasions... much like a goal keeper doesn't have time to decide where to dive after the penalty taker kicks the ball. So there's a real issue with the validity of the test as a whole..

Second thing is that the test is trying to measure a very subjective entity. Moral by who's definition? I'm sure people from different parts of the world might view each scenario differently so in that sense it isn't much of a "fair test". Equally people from different life experiences, beliefs or backgrounds would view how moral something is differently.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SA-1
Essentially, there are two main issues with the test:

It's a "what would you do based question". I'm sure we've all looked back at things, and after thinking about them wondered what we'd do differently. If I was driving a car and came across one of those scenario's I'd probably wish I could go back and do things differently in retrospect, and I'd want to do them differently based on my "morals". Your action at the time would be based entirely on instinct, rather than having even a few seconds to think about it. I know that even a fox on the road will probably make me swerve. If you are going fast enough to not be able to break in time, meaning you had to swerve - then you wouldn't have the time to think at all, otherwise it would be too late in you would probably end up going straight on most occasions... much like a goal keeper doesn't have time to decide where to dive after the penalty taker kicks the ball. So there's a real issue with the validity of the test as a whole..

Second thing is that the test is trying to measure a very subjective entity. Moral by who's definition? I'm sure people from different parts of the world might view each scenario differently so in that sense it isn't much of a "fair test". Equally people from different life experiences, beliefs or backgrounds would view how moral something is differently.

I think for the first point, the experiment is asking something more along the lines of "what should you do" rather than "what would you do" - like you rightly said, in the real life scenario you're always gonna act on instinct. I think the purpose here isn't to find out what people would actually do, it's to find out what they think they "should" do, which is where the morality links in.

As for the second point, the experiment doesn't really indicate right or wrong because there isn't an incorrect answer. All it does is collate the information you provide and feeds it back to you with comparisons to the rest of the world. The assessment on what is/isn't moral is then left to the individual.

It's a brilliantly simplistic study tbh.
Luke marking his territory at University:

Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
zootopia, its so legit.

Yes
Reply 9225
Original post by Lúcio
I think for the first point, the experiment is asking something more along the lines of "what should you do" rather than "what would you do" - like you rightly said, in the real life scenario you're always gonna act on instinct. I think the purpose here isn't to find out what people would actually do, it's to find out what they think they "should" do, which is where the morality links in.

As for the second point, the experiment doesn't really indicate right or wrong because there isn't an incorrect answer. All it does is collate the information you provide and feeds it back to you with comparisons to the rest of the world. The assessment on what is/isn't moral is then left to the individual.

It's a brilliantly simplistic study tbh.

Remind me what your masters is in again?
Original post by Dirtybit
Luke marking his territory at University:

More like:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475583710.443237.jpg
Original post by SA-1
Remind me what your masters is in again?

MSc Organizational Psychology :smile:

What are you doing?
Inb4 dentistry
Reply 9228
Original post by Lúcio
MSc Organizational Psychology :smile:

What are you doing?
Inb4 dentistry

When you do research based modules, you'll see what I meant with my above arguments. It's a very critical way of looking at studies, which I hope you'll see at some point.

And lel nah, **** being a tooth mechanic like that swine FK

Neurorehabilitation
Original post by SA-1
When you do research based modules, you'll see what I meant with my above arguments. It's a very critical way of looking at studies, which I hope you'll see at some point.

And lel nah, **** being a tooth mechanic like that swine FK

Neurorehabilitation

Oi I've done that before you fool - you do realise I had to do a dissertation for my first degree? :colonhash:

I understand your viewpoint on everything from the above - my responses were merely alternate interpretations that stem from limited explanation about the details of the study. If this were a journal entry, there'd obviously be tonnes of information here and we'd probably be in agreement about the above :tongue:

I know, said it for lols - fake doctors will be replaced by robots soon anyway.

Not bad, decent degree - at what uni?
You in 2nd year or something?
Reply 9230
Tooth mechanic. Lel.
Original post by Lúcio
Oi I've done that before you fool - you do realise I had to do a dissertation for my first degree? :colonhash:

I understand your viewpoint on everything from the above - my responses were merely alternate interpretations that stem from limited explanation about the details of the study. If this were a journal entry, there'd obviously be tonnes of information here and we'd probably be in agreement about the above :tongue:

Nah
Gonna buy my mum an iMac. To 4k Retina or not...

Not sure if I'm just being cheap because if it were me, I'd be 27inch 5k'ing it. She's hardly a techie though, just feel its money down the drain.
Reply 9233
Original post by Lúcio

Research goes up a notch for MSc, I found that when I started my masters too. There should be a massive thing about critically appraising every study you look at.. and the one above fails on so many levels

I think that's it tbh, the fact that it's not big at all makes me question its integrity.

What's a fake doctor 🤔

& yeah, 2nd year part time
Original post by Fizzel

Not sure if I'm just being cheap because if it were me, I'd be 27inch 5k'ing it. She's hardly a techie though, just feel its money down the drain.

I think without is perfectly fine man. She won't put you on blast anyway if it wasn't 4k retina, at least I don't think she will? :tongue:
Original post by Fizzel

Aww
Original post by Fizzel

I wish I was your mother
Original post by SA-1
Research goes up a notch for MSc, I found that when I started my masters too. There should be a massive thing about critically appraising every study you look at.. and the one above fails on so many levels

I think that's it tbh, the fact that it's not big at all makes me question its integrity.

What's a fake doctor 🤔

& yeah, 2nd year part time

Oh sorry, thought you meant 2nd year of BSc. So you're on your final year of masters? Quality mate, didn't realise you were that clever (no digs)!
You doing a PhD?

I'm doing 1 year full time so we'll finish at the same time - do you do your dissertation over the summer after May exams like I do?

Yeah, like I said it's pretty simplistic and could definitely be improved with more info provided and some tweaks to the method. Interesting nonetheless though!
(edited 7 years ago)
Been at uni 5 years, currently considering doing a part time masters next year that'll last 2 years through my employers. Dat education
Original post by Angry cucumber
Been at uni 5 years, currently considering doing a part time masters next year that'll last 2 years through my employers. Dat education

What's the benefit of a masters if you're a trained veterinarian?