The Student Room Group

Do the uni fee increases make you want to study abroad?

I regularly see people posting on TSR about studying abroad for uni and have always been interested in what it takes to make that step. When I was applying for uni, studying my entire degree abroad isn't something I would have considered (wanted to study in London, language barriers, hadn't done my research etc etc) - I thought about a placement but that was about it.

An analysis by FairFX of 200 universities across the globe has shown that the UK is one of the most expensive countries to be a student in. We all know that higher tuition fees are coming and I was wondering if this would help to influence your decision to study home or way.

The independent ran an article earlier this week and announced "Germany and Sweden named the cheapest places to attend uni". It looked at tuition fees and average living costs with the most affordable uni experience being 3x cheaper than it would be in the UK!! There is a breakdown of the top 10 cheapest countries on the article if you are interested in having a look for yourself.

So...
What do you think? Are you tempted to look abroad for your degree?
Or would you have been tempted if you've finished uni already?

By the way, there is a helpful Study Abroad Cost Calculator on FairFX's website
Reply 1
No, because you will have accommodate visa and etc costs then accommodation costs in another country. It will be more difficult, especially if the main language isn't English.

In addition to this, you may not be entitled to any support from the government. At least, here you're entitled to tution fee loan and maintenance loan. My parents help out here and there as much as they can really.

Plus, the university fees is paid off in small amounts and wiped off after 30 years. It doesn't affect you getting an mortgage etc.

Edit: I'm not sure if employers in England will accept a degree from another country. Correct me, if I'm wrong?
it firstly depends how much tuition fees rise. At the moment it looks like I will pay £500 a year more by the time i start which isn't nice but would not make a huge difference.

The problem comes if this starts to get silly and we are suddenly talking about £3000 a year or even £5000 year more. This gold Silver and Bronze thing really scares me.

From life experience such a thing normally comes in along side something very unpleasant to distract from that.

I am not so worried about universities been labeled gold silver or bronze they can name them iggidy biggidy and diggidy for all i care. I am more concerned that this new labeling system is designed to distract from or justify much more painful hikes in tuition fees.
I think you make a very fair point about "leveling" unis in this way. Personally (and I keep saying this) I believe uni should be free!

"iggidy biggidy and diggidy" made me giggle haha

Spoiler

Tbh, yes. The fee is way too much and on top of that, if you're living out, you're done. Literally so broke. Thinking of doing my further studies in Sweden.
Original post by BrokenLife
Tbh, yes. The fee is way too much and on top of that, if you're living out, you're done. Literally so broke. Thinking of doing my further studies in Sweden.

I had to work part time in order to have enough to live off when I was at uni so I feel for you.

That's interesting though - why Sweden in particular?
Reply 6
Tagging @Snufkin :smile:
Trinity College Dublin has many excellent degrees for about 2700 quid per year, the rest of the life in Dublin is very similar to say, life in Sheffield.
Allegedly, if you get a job in McDonalads in Holland somewhere, for at least 3 months, then the Dutch government will pay you a grant for the entire three year course at Delft (best Dutch uni) or Amsterdam etc - I dunno if this is true. Otherwise they are great value in NL even without a grant.
Sweden is very good tuition (almost if not totally FREE), very reasonable prices, obviously travel & living costs are higher.
What about studying on the island of Venezia? (the University of Venice "Ca'Foscari" accepts UK students for several courses) a few hundred places available, fees seem to be less than 2 grand a year, in Venice! there are some other very interesting places out there. . .

I have to say, these foreign options arent for everyone, its probably only suited to the students who have already holidayed abroad on their own, and know a few of the pitfalls (like prosecco being 5 euros a bottle in Italian supermarkets) And surprisingly many European students have the opposite idea to British students, in UK most people choose a college a few hours away from home, for the freedom, fun and the courses. Most Europeans just choose the closest college so they can stay at home, minimise costs.

Some UK universities are amazing value for money, even today, internationally. Oxbridge/Durham/St-Andrews/Glasgow/Edinburgh etc etc would all cost ten times more if these were US universities. Difference is, all Americans grew-up knowing that college cost $100K, so almost from birth the (sensible) parents started a savings plan-college fund for their kids, whereas in UK it has suddenly started to cost 9 to 10k, in the last few years meaning there was never time to budget beforehand.
Increased tuition fees / parent contributions may indeed result in more students choosing to do their degree abroad, but they will be middle class students whose parents support them financially. I would've loved to do a degree in Germany or Sweden; lots of English-taught degrees, interesting countries, chance to learn a new language, better employment prospects... but even with the lower cost of living, it just wouldn't have been feasible without finding a job, and that is by no means guaranteed, especially if you don't speak the local language. I wish the government offered maintenance loans to British students studying abroad.

Original post by jneill
Tagging @Snufkin :smile:

Eeep... well technically I don't study abroad, I study via distance learning at a foreign university (woo, free degree). If circumstances had been different, I would have loved to study abroad in Scandinavia, but I got sick which rather put a spanner in the works, and I couldn't have afforded the living costs anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by Snufkin
Eeep... well technically I don't study abroad, I study via distance learning at a foreign university (woo, free degree). If circumstances had been different, I would have loved to study abroad in Scandinavia, but I got sick which rather put a spanner in the works, and I couldn't have afforded the living costs anyway.

Ah I thought you were actually in Viking land, or even further north!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Ah I thought you were actually in Viking land, or even further north!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe one day... :moon:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending