The Student Room Group

Study abroad advice

As an Indian should I study abroad or in India?
Original post by Jessica Roe

Hi @Jessica Roe,
Deciding where to study - whether at home, in the same country or a different country - is a big decision that has a lot to consider.
1. Financial - This is a big consideration because uni can be very costly in terms of course fees, living fees etc. I would suggest having a look at the options available to you to see what options are financially viable. I would encourage you to look at scholarships which are often listed on university websites and also perhaps ask your school about previous students and if any of them decided to study abroad.
2. The course - This is essential to consider. Have a good look at prospectus' for the universities you think you might be interested and see where you can study what you want to. Also check the entry requirements because they will vary between every university.
3. Visiting - Often students like to visit uni campus' before committing to go. Likely this may not be possible if you choose universities abroad. Post-covid some universities offer online visit opportunities so I would encourage you to have a look on the university websites for any opportunities
4. Distance/Independence - Studying abroad will mean that you are not close to family and for some people that is no problem but for others they prefer to be close with family. Also living abroad will need you to be independent and so it is worth considering if your are ready for that. I'd suggest perhaps talking with friends and family because it can help to talk through your options.

There are likely lots of other things to consider but a good start is to research your options and talk it through with people your close to.
Best wishes for your decision - Catherine (University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)
Original post by Jessica Roe

@Jessica Roe

You can study wherever you want to!

There might be benefits to studying in India if you are more familiar with different areas and the universities there, and the best places to attend for the course you are interested in.

If you study abroad, you have the opportunity to see new places and to experience a different way of life. It could be an exciting adventure but it could also be very stressful or lonely, if you are very close to your family or have never been away from home before.

It might be worthwhile to think about your personality, ideas for a future career and finances (How much would it cost to study abroad in comparison to studying in India, and would it be worth it?).

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending