The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster university - what is it like?

Can anyone please tell me what Lancaster is like as I want student based information?

Scroll to see replies

it look nice
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
GRIM. ...do not come here. They are full of false promises. Lancaster like to tell you how good they are but the reality is it is not a good uni and prospective employers see a degtee gained here as low currency.
Do your homework and visit the better uni's such as Cambridge, Oxford,LSE or Kings for example. Qualifications from these establishments will give you global recognition.
Head.snr is talking a load of rubbish. LSE, Oxford and Cambridge are better im sure, but i don't think anyone here is pretending Lancaster is a top 3 university.

Good University, good reputation. Better than oxford/cambridge, no, but overall will unlock great opportunities i am sure :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Not sure what Heath.snr is on about...

I love Lancaster, and I'm so happy I'm here. I turned down offers from Durham, York and Exeter and I'm so glad I did. Not only do I love it here, I also have two scholarships as I got A*A*A* in my A levels - there are lots of scholarships available (search online for your course if that interests you).

The welfare is fantastic, the college system makes it so easy to make friends, the lectures are great (if fast paced, but that's what you'd expect at a top 10 uni - but, in physics at least, there are loads of workshops and other opportunities to catch up if you get left a bit behind). The students union is fab too, and there are so many societies - literally everything you could want to do.

I really like the campus - imo it's one of the nicest looking new universities, but I know people's opinions vary :tongue: The library has very recently been refurbished, and it's so cool. The accommodation I'm in (Furness, standard rooms) is pretty good value, and my room is massive.

Best way to see if you like it is to look round - just because it was perfect for me doesn't necessarily mean it'd be right for you! I knew straight away at the open day that it was the right choice for me :smile:

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
The best part of Lancaster is the sense of belonging and community at the university.
I do like the university as a whole, it does have it's flaws as does every university, so I wouldn't immediately discourage anyone from applying here.

Things I like:
- the major/minor system: if your degree scheme allows you to take minors it allows you to take other subjects in your first year. My major (ethics,philosophy and religion) required me to take either Religious Studies or Philosophy as a minor, I could have taken one of them and another subject but I took both. The system allows you to switch your minor to your major, provided you have good enough grades to do so.
-accommodation: I lived in Cartmel first year and plan to return there next year. While being one of the more expensive accommodation options, the en suite was worth it.
-course: I really enjoyed my major in first year and I'm enjoying what I've done so far this year.
- support: the pastoral support has been pretty good, college welfare has helped me out a lot recently. The counselling service could do with a little work as more one on one counselling is needed rather than like group cbt which I didn't find helpful.

Things I haven't liked:
-off campus accommodation: An actual update on my living situation: I ended up moving out of the house I previously posted about for various reasons, mainly it just wasn't working out with my old housemates with things unfortunately ending badly between us. Lusu living were really good with sorting me out a new place. I'd recommend living in actual town rather than the other areas as you get all the benefits of town (easier access to shops and the train) whereas before I felt isolated from the university and the city. Also it's worth paying like £7 more to live in town as the difference in my old property and my new one was unbelievable. There are several problems living off campus mainly trying to catch a bus to campus with several being packed with people going to lectures so I'd consider this with regards to where to live post first year. Also I feel like we have to decide too quickly, with campus accommodation being open to application at around 2 months since moving in. This led me and many others to panic and sign for houses without thinking it through.
-The city itself: it's not that I don't like it, I've been spoilt by the likes of bigger cities like Liverpool and London so it can feel a lot quieter here in contrast but at least we have Primark now. Also the city doesn't feel like it was intended to host a large number of students hence the lack of variety in shops, entertainment etc for students.

I'd probably still pick Lancaster again if I could choose again, perhaps I would have taken a course that I was more interested in, one that I was actually passionate about enough to read about in my own time. There's just little things that bug you but I'm sure it's the same everywhere.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AmyTheSwifty
I do like the university as a whole, it does have it's flaws as does every university, so I wouldn't immediately discourage anyone from applying here.

Things I like:
- the major/minor system: if your degree scheme allows you to take minors it allows you to take other subjects in your first year. My major (ethics,philosophy and religion) required me to take either Religious Studies or Philosophy as a minor, I could have taken one of them and another subject but I took both. The system allows you to switch your minor to your major, provided you have good enough grades to do so.
-accommodation: I lived in Cartmel first year and plan to return there next year. While being one of the more expensive accommodation options, the en suite was worth it.
-course: I really enjoyed my major in first year and I'm enjoying what I've done so far this year.

Things I haven't liked:
-off campus accommodation: I live with Lusu Living this year, thinking it was part of the university in a way so it should mean we are getting a decent experience. The property wasn't clean when we moved in and we've had to push for things to be cleaned or fixed that we can't do ourselves. The house definitely wasn't intended for students and luckily I'm only here until summer. Also it's ridiculous trying to catch a bus to campus with several being packed with people going to lectures so I'd consider this with regards to where to live post first year. Also I feel like we have to decide too quickly, with campus accommodation being open to application at around 2 months since moving in. This led me and many others to panic and sign for houses without thinking it through.
-The city itself: it's not that I don't like it, I've been spoilt by the likes of bigger cities like Liverpool and London so it can feel a lot quieter here in contrast but at least we have Primark now. Also the city doesn't feel like it was intended to host a large number of students hence the lack of variety in shops, entertainment etc for students.

I'd probably still pick Lancaster again if I could choose again, perhaps I would have taken a course that I was more interested in, one that I was actually passionate about enough to read about in my own time. There's just little things that bug you but I'm sure it's the same everywhere.

For what it's worth my son did almost 2 years at another top ten university before withdrawing as he was so unhappy, both with his course and the university in general. He has now just commenced his second year at Lancaster and is extremely happy. Last year he lived on campus and had no complaints about his accommodation and this year he is living off campus and after dropping him off there approx 4 weeks ago I can honestly say as a parent that his student house is excellent. Both him and his 5 housemates have rooms that are large, warm and clean, as is the whole house. The house is owned and managed by the university. I have recently had a niece and a nephew graduate from Lancaster and they were very happy there too and have yet to hear anything other than positive comments about how friendly an environment Lancaster is. I understand Lancaster itself may not be as big as some other cities/towns but I think it has most if not all of what you would need - both socially and otherwise.
On another note my son is currently applying to employers for a Summer placement for next year and has been fortunate enough to pass the initial assessments for each one he has applied for so the idea that employers may look down on Lancaster is a load of rubbish in my opinion.
Original post by lilymargaret123
Can anyone please tell me what Lancaster is like as I want student based information?

It's an amazing University. I won't lie, its a little on the calmer side but it's a smaller university where you get a sense of community. In terms of partying I swear you'll get your fair share.

If you want a good idea, I vlogged my time there.
This might help!!!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp1QSH8eG9OinuUfkefFLqb-qdUioRVun
Reply 9
I am thinking of applying to Lancaster as really liked the campus and community feel. Do you feel however that you don't get the full university experience because the town is very small?

Would really appreciate your honest thoughts :smile:

Original post by loveire&song

I love Lancaster, and I'm so happy I'm here. I turned down offers from Durham, York, Exeter and Oxford (admittedly for materials, not what I'd originally applied for - Physics!) and I'm so glad I did. Not only do I love it here, I also have two scholarships as I got A*A*A* in my A levels - there are lots of scholarships available (search online for your course if that interests you).

The welfare is fantastic, the college system makes it so easy to make friends, the lectures are great (if fast paced, but that's what you'd expect at a top 10 uni - but, in physics at least, there are loads of workshops and other opportunities to catch up if you get left a bit behind). The students union is fab too, and there are so many societies - literally everything you could want to do.

I really like the campus - imo it's one of the nicest looking new universities, but I know people's opinions vary :tongue: The library has very recently been refurbished, and it's so cool. The accommodation I'm in (Furness, standard rooms) is pretty good value, and my room is massive.

Best way to see if you like it is to look round - just because it was perfect for me doesn't necessarily mean it'd be right for you! I knew straight away at the open day that it was the right choice for me :smile:

Original post by emswhite
I am thinking of applying to Lancaster as really liked the campus and community feel. Do you feel however that you don't get the full university experience because the town is very small?

It's a brilliant university. It's collegiate so you feel part of a community within a community. My sister is in the smallest (and best) college Furness. It's very central on campus and has a wonderful JCR and freshers' reps that look after you all your first year if you need it. The town is small but the uni has its own nightclub - Sugar, this provides a level of security as it only lets in students so everyone has a fighting chance of getting through the night without some stranger drama. There are lots of bars and clubs there that are equally as good and each college has its own bar and social life if you want to stay on campus. It's in the top ten of all 3 uni tables now and is situated in a beautiful part of the world.

I'll be sending my bill to the VC for this fabulous promotion of his university ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luna1602
It's a brilliant university. It's collegiate so you feel part of a community within a community. My sister is in the smallest (and best) college Furness. It's very central on campus and has a wonderful JCR and freshers' reps that look after you all your first year if you need it. The town is small but the uni has its own nightclub - Sugar, this provides a level of security as it only lets in students so everyone has a fighting chance of getting through the night without some stranger drama. There are lots of bars and clubs there that are equally as good and each college has its own bar and social life if you want to stay on campus. It's in the top ten of all 3 uni tables now and is situated in a beautiful part of the world.

I'll be sending my bill to the VC for this fabulous promotion of his university ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can confirm Furness is the best college! :tongue:
Original post by emswhite

Hi! Quick answer: no, I really don't :smile:

So I'd second everything Luna1602 has said, but also add that there are actually two universities in Lancaster (also University of Cumbria) and another one the other side near Preston (UCLan), so whilst the town is small, there are a large number of students, so there are a lot of things catering for students. Again while Lancaster is small, it's really easy (and fairly cheap) to go to Preston or Manchester by train.
(edited 7 years ago)
any comrades here for politics or international relations? got offer for 2017
Original post by loveire&song

I love Lancaster, and I'm so happy I'm here. I turned down offers from Durham, York, Exeter and Oxford (admittedly for materials, not what I'd originally applied for - Physics!) and I'm so glad I did. Not only do I love it here, I also have two scholarships as I got A*A*A* in my A levels - there are lots of scholarships available (search online for your course if that interests you).

Hi, I've applied to Lancaster for biological sciences with biomedicine.
I can't decide which university to put as my firm and insurance between Lancaster and Warwick, I know you might be biased but if you have any advice to help me pick between the two that would be great.
Also, are there certain reputations for each college and do you get a different type/ class etc of people in each one? I really liked cartmel and fylde I think (when I visited) and I'm quite set on having an ensuite, any advice on that?
Thanks!
Original post by Heath.snr
GRIM. ...do not come here. They are full of false promises. Lancaster like to tell you how good they are but the reality is it is not a good uni and prospective employers see a degtee gained here as low currency.
Do your homework and visit the better uni's such as Cambridge, Oxford,LSE or Kings for example. Qualifications from these establishments will give you global recognition.

You are right in a way. I did my undergrad at Lancaster and it was... medicore. The reason I say that is because I then went to study at Imperial and that just showed me the significant disparity in opportunities and research quality at the two institutions. One was global and one was rather provincial and I think that is the key difference.

In my experience most people go to Lancaster out of necessity rather than choice. It is a good university but it still has a long way to go before it can compete with the big boys.

The one thing about the university that I found very good was the quality of teaching, far better than at imperial. If one values this more than say, employment opportunities, then I would recommend Lancaster.

OP - if you have an offer from Lancaster then I would think seriously about accepting it. Universities like Sheffield, Birmingham, Southampton, Bath, Bristol, Warwick etc are just as good if not better than Lancaster. I would visit each institution you have applied for and speak to current students.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Think of doing physics in Lancaster in 2019. Your videos are great on YouTube (shame you stopped posting) and Lancaster just sounds so good for me. If I ever do see you, can I come and say hi?
Original post by Fangli
Think of doing physics in Lancaster in 2019. Your videos are great on YouTube (shame you stopped posting) and Lancaster just sounds so good for me. If I ever do see you, can I come and say hi?

If you're referring to the Lancaster Physics videos then we had a bit of an issue with the account itself, plus everyone who made those videos graduated. I was involved in them (I'm in a couple of them) and filmed some stuff that never got edited. But thanks!

There are a number of open days throughout the summer (there was one last weekend but I guess that's not helpful right now). The next ones are 14th July, 1st September and 15th September. If you apply early enough then you'd have an interview day before Christmas and get an offer very soon after that. There are a lot of interview days though, so don't worry too much if you get your application in after Christmas.
thanks a lot captain obvious, that comment was simply ridiculous. clearly Oxbridge is going to be the superior uni, your obseen silly remarks are not needed here, thank you and good day you boneen.
Wow this thread goes back a few years, and daughters seen @Watchdevante videos too before she joined in September of 2020.
She does particle physics and cosmology @Manitude is right about the interview days. I believe last year they was interviewing right up until this February and there was a few different days.
Lancasters very good for physics internships and she got one in first year in the summer doing an online project. Not saying they fall into your lap of course, you got to express your keenness to the supervisor and the dept. Lancaster uni itself has all you need. Shops, bars at every college, loads of eateries, and the library capacity has increased by a third, making it a very large library compared to some others ive seen on open day. Lancaster city is smaller than other cities like Nottingham or Leeds, but it still has 3 clubs and 2 shopping centres. Lancaster city is very good for 2nd year to live in if you don't want to feel overwhelmed by the larger city. You do not feel like a small fish in a big pond when it comes to Lancaster. I would imagine if your from London or Manchester, this must feel very quiet, but as a smaller city, you get smaller crime rates too.
I cant speak for all courses, but physics is excellent, and I also hear good reports on management and business, biochem, and also English as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending