The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spudhead
A lot of my friends are doing that who did Biomed with me.

But to be honest, I feel like its a doctor-wannabe and I would never be fully satisfied in that role.

I also think theres too many students and not enough jobs for it currently, but if you do get it the pay is really good money.

Yeah that's the dilemma.

And I feel that there's some uncertainty with the job and job role itself.
Original post by eemooz
thanks for your reply :smile:*
i just had a look on the calculator, you end up paying so much back :/
yeah youve got a solid plan there, the issue comes after graduation when you have to pay back student loans as well as this, as well as paying for additional exams which cost like thousands.

Is there a criteria that you have to meet to get the 8000? for my undergrad I only got 3100 a year.. :/

Yeah you do end up paying back a lot and monthly payments can get quite high, depending on borrowing amount. Unfortunately Im not aware of any other alternatives :frown: ... so its a price we must pay if we want to be doctors.

I think the £8k is if you have been living on your own and/or 26 years old.

Luckily for me (but also unfortunately I guess :P) I will be 26 by the time I start medicine.
Yeah you do end up paying back a lot and monthly payments can get quite high, depending on borrowing amount. Unfortunately Im not aware of any other alternatives :frown: ... so its a price we must pay if we want to be doctors.

I think the £8k is if you have been living on your own and/or 26 years old.

Luckily for me (but also unfortunately I guess :P) I will be 26 by the time I start medicine.

yeah i guess, i might ask around and see if i can get a bank to give me a better deal as my credit score is decent.
ahhh i dont fit either of those criteria haha, sucks for me but so nice for you :P*
Original post by eemooz
yeah i guess, i might ask around and see if i can get a bank to give me a better deal as my credit score is decent.
ahhh i dont fit either of those criteria haha, sucks for me but so nice for you :P*

Please let me know if you find any decent bank rates :smile:
Does anyone know if Southampton consider you for both the 4 and 5 year course if you apply for the 4 year GEM?

Im sure I've heard of other uni's doing this before, Kings I think do it.
Please let me know if you find any decent bank rates :smile:

of course :smile:
Reply 1946
Original post by Lostperson
are you above the VR national cut off?

Nope really below
Original post by Akz18
Nope really below

yeh sure rejection from them. sucks. lol VR was again this year.
Does anyone know if Southampton consider you for both the 4 and 5 year course if you apply for the 4 year GEM?

soton are very uKCAT heavy. look on last years thread.
Reply 1949
yeh sure rejection from them. sucks. lol VR was again this year.

haha yeah! Good luck with you application
soton are very uKCAT heavy. look on last years thread.

So I dont have a chance there basically? haha

Where do I find these threads, sorry Im quite a noob to TSR.
So I dont have a chance there basically? haha

Where do I find these threads, sorry Im quite a noob to TSR.

I am not saying you do not have a chance haha. i just know they use the ukcat heavily, whether it is the a100 or a101.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3628221#primary_content
Reply 1952

Southampton do not, and at Kings it is rare to happen.
I am not saying you do not have a chance haha. i just know they use the ukcat heavily, whether it is the a100 or a101.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3628221#primary_content

Thank you!

Original post by GavinJR
Southampton do not, and at Kings it is rare to happen.

Oh god this is stressful.

I think it might be best to ring Southampton tomorrow and see if my application would be competitive at all.

Whats St Barts/Queen Mary like for UKCAT on GEM? Hoping my Masters will counteract a low UKCAT score.

p.s. UKCAT should be abolished!
Original post by NafNaf39
I've re written it a million and one times. God knows if its good but I feel like it reads better? probably being biased :P

Yup no space whatsoever, I had to delete ONE word because I had gone over the line limit -_-

Aw that sucks. Surprised you didn't puke up especially with how strong vomit smell can be...

Nope. Just sad times. Feel like I'm constantly pestering her but tomorrow is the day where I'm gonna just call her. I gave her everything she needed and still -_-

Is anyone considering the Physicians Associate program?

I feel like mine's awful lol

I have lots of character space left but no line space to write a decent sentence.

I felt like it. Esp cos I had just given him his milk and he ate some chocolate biscuits too. He was crying at the same time and wanted a hug and I was trying not to get my clothes dirty but felt bad so hugged him anyway.

ahh that sucks. You gave her plenty of time tbh so don't feel bad. If she couldn't do one she should have told you. I really dislike it when people don't keep their word. :hugs:

I would have considered the PA course but I don't have a science-y degree.
Thank you!

Oh god this is stressful.

I think it might be best to ring Southampton tomorrow and see if my application would be competitive at all. * * Whats St Barts/Queen Mary like for UKCAT on GEM? Hoping my Masters will counteract a low UKCAT score. * p.s. UKCAT should be abolished!

Ukcat and degree are weighted 50:50/
so having a masters would help you out if you have a good prediction or classification :smile: whats your ukcat score ?
Original post by eemooz
Ukcat and degree are weighted 50:50/
so having a masters would help you out if you have a good prediction or classification :smile: whats your ukcat score ?

Only got 615 UKCAT unfortunately. I bombed the real exam after acing the mocks pretty much :/ ... got so many damn questions on the efficiency of washing machines and it really threw me off my game lmao.

seeing as I have a 1st in Biomed, I presume my predicted will be Distinction at Masters level too. I did ask my professor to mention my predicted grade in his reference.
Only got 615 UKCAT unfortunately. I bombed the real exam after acing the mocks pretty much :/ ... got so many damn questions on the efficiency of washing machines and it really threw me off my game lmao.

seeing as I have a 1st in Biomed, I presume my predicted will be Distinction at Masters level too. I did ask my professor to mention my predicted grade in his reference.

there is a specific place to put predicted grades, its not meant for the body of the reference i believe.

I think barts is a tad risky, have you considered any other unis?*
Original post by eemooz
there is a specific place to put predicted grades, its not meant for the body of the reference i believe.

I think barts is a tad risky, have you considered any other unis?*

The only one I know for certain is 5 year at Leicester. Its close to home for work purposes for funding.

With regards to GEM courses I have absolutely no idea tbh as Im not sure which ones I'd have a shot at?
The only one I know for certain is 5 year at Leicester. Its close to home for work purposes for funding.

With regards to GEM courses I have absolutely no idea tbh as Im not sure which ones I'd have a shot at?

hmmm the gem ones are tricky, have you done any other entrance exams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending