The Student Room Group

I feel dumb for not knowing this!

Is it mathematically acceptable to show that 2x+a+b>=0 by adding x+b>0 and x+a>=0

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

I clicked on this by mistake and it's given me an instant headache.
Reply 2
Yes, of course.
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Is it mathematically acceptable to show that 2x+a+b>=0 by adding x+b>0 and x+a>=0

Spoiler

For the question in the spoiler, it's called latex

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lamaragymnast
Sorry :redface:
Original post by kingaaran
For the question in the spoiler, it's called latex

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yes, of course.
The first part of question 1 was quite easy. It's just that I didn't know which of the results to use to obtain the answer to part i) and ii) :frown: ; I assumed b=1 so thought that arcsin(x+a/x+b) was the result I needed. What logical steps could I have taken to ensure that I was using the correct result?

I wouldn't have recognised that the constant +- 1/√2 was needed in either results.
Reply 7

That's the usual effect maths has on people!
Original post by davros
That's the usual effect maths has on people!

Does on me. Was my worst subject at school.
Reply 9
Does on me. Was my worst subject at school.

And now you find yourself posting in a Maths forum on TSR :smile:
I mean it depends on what stage of education ur at. im doing A levels and im not doing step papers so not knowing that is not dumb at all.
If you have a Bsc or PhD or something like that then maybe
Original post by Toasticide
I mean it depends on what stage of education ur at. im doing A levels and im not doing step papers so not knowing that is not dumb at all.
If you have a Bsc or PhD or something like that then maybe

Haha thanks for the comforting words. It's just that I've never found the sum of >= and > inequalities.

What A levels are you doing? You want to do a Maths degree?
Haha thanks for the comforting words. It's just that I've never found the sum of >= and > inequalities.

What A levels are you doing? You want to do a Maths degree?

right now im doing A2's in Maths chemistry and physics and an AS in further maths.
Yes i do want to do a maths degree as i want to be a maths teacher afterwards :smile:
I'm not going for the really high end unis like oxford as i'm good at maths.... but not THAT good
Reply 13
I thought this thread was going to be "I did not know there was 52 weeks in a year" or something simplified lol :biggrin:.
Original post by Toasticide
right now im doing A2's in Maths chemistry and physics and an AS in further maths.
Yes i do want to do a maths degree as i want to be a maths teacher afterwards :smile:
I'm not going for the really high end unis like oxford as i'm good at maths.... but not THAT good
Ah cool. Your'e doing A2 Chemistry as well :smile: . Yeah tbh my grades let me down so even if I wanted to apply to Oxbridge (Cambridge prefered out of the two) it would be an instant rejection.
Do you mind us chatting over here ?http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4381572
Original post by TK_23
I thought this thread was going to be "I did not know there was 52 weeks in a year" or something simplified lol :biggrin:.
Haha sorry for misleading :biggrin:
Ah cool. Your'e doing A2 Chemistry as well :smile: . Yeah tbh my grades let me down so even if I wanted to apply to Oxbridge (Cambridge prefered out of the two) it would be an instant rejection.
Do you mind us chatting over here ?http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4381572

sadly i have to go to the cinema with my friends (seeing dr strange) but ill chat tomorrow, probs 3 English time as i wake up at 1 sometimes :s

Now I'm quoting myself, a bit sad. Can't believe my failure with maths seems so popular. :confused:
Now I'm quoting myself, a bit sad. Can't believe my failure with maths seems so popular. :confused:
It's a sign!
It's a sign!

I'm to dumb to know what for though. A minus sign probably.

Quick Reply

Latest