The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

randdom
I know. Some of my friend think I am crazy because I believe in Aliens. I don't believe they have made contact or come to earth just that they are out there somewhere. Thats another theory though isn't it. That the first humans were aliens who came and colonised earth. Personally I think it is a load of rubbish but some people believe it.

the cult that claims to have done the first human clonning do (no evidence of this) believe we developed due to aliens i think
piginapoke
How many stars are there out there? A lot! We choose a set of 9 (or is it 10) planets, one of which has life on it, to make assumptions about life. We aren't really in the best position to determine how abundant life is!

Or to put it another way:

DNA
Space is big.

You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.

I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.
Reply 42
randdom
I know. Some of my friend think I am crazy because I believe in Aliens. I don't believe they have made contact or come to earth just that they are out there somewhere. Thats another theory though isn't it. That the first humans were aliens who came and colonised earth. Personally I think it is a load of rubbish but some people believe it.

I agree with you there. But you have to remember, true believers of creationism state that you must be barking to believe that.
Reply 43
Sire
I agree with you there. But you have to remember, true believers of creationism state that you must be barking to believe that.

I don't believe in creation, I just wouldn't say someone is stupid for believing it.
randdom
I don't believe in creation, I just wouldn't say someone is stupid for believing it.

why not?
Reply 45
Speciez99
why not?

Because I think people are entitled to believe what they want to believe without being mocked.
Reply 46
Sire
Quite right, it is almost a certainty that there is life out there. How advanced or not we don't know, simply because we have yet to see any other life in space. But to merely dismiss the idea of another planet supporting life is stupidity. Something that creationists do at will

If we are not in a position to determine how abundant life is then how are we in a position to say for certain that we are not alone?

What is certain is that we do not know. Perhaps some day one may be able to demonstrate how self replacating organisms can come into existance spontaneously and then one may evaluate the possibility for it happening. However, with todays knowledge we have no way of determining whether it is a remarkable coincidence that life has evolved at all, or whether it is extremely likely that there are other civilisations only a few lightyears away. We simply do not have enough parameters to determine how likely it is for life to evolve.
randdom
Because I think people are entitled to believe what they want to believe without being mocked.

but if their beliefs are wrong surely someone should tell them and if because of fraudulent beliefs children are recieving a bad ecuducation surely it is right to campaign against it?
Reply 48
Speciez99
but if their beliefs are wrong surely someone should tell them and if because of fraudulent beliefs children are recieving a bad ecuducation surely it is right to campaign against it?

As long as they are being taught other theories in school aswell I see no problem with it. When we learnt about evolution we were told that no matter what we believe we should write this in the exam. We didn't have to believe it just write it.
Speciez99

So would you tell a 5 yr old that father christmas isn't real?
Reply 50
Speciez99

Yes but it can be done in a polite manner. Think of the old Japaneese samurais. Eaven though they tried to kill their enemy because the situation required it, it was important not to do so in an unhonorable way. Britain also has a long tradition of politeness. Thus it is ok to disagree and to argue your case, but you should do so in a polite manner.
Reply 51
Jonatan
If we are not in a position to determine how abundant life is then how are we in a position to say for certain that we are not alone?

What is certain is that we do not know. Perhaps some day one may be able to demonstrate how self replacating organisms can come into existance spontaneously and then one may evaluate the possibility for it happening. However, with todays knowledge we have no way of determining whether it is a remarkable coincidence that life has evolved at all, or whether it is extremely likely that there are other civilisations only a few lightyears away. We simply do not have enough parameters to determine how likely it is for life to evolve.

It is that law of probability again. It may not be a thing that occurs often, but even rarely means that it must happen more than once. QED
Pencil Queen
So would you tell a 5 yr old that father christmas isn't real?

people who are spending milions to try and get equal time for creationism as evolution in schools in america are not quite the same as children, nor is the idea of father christmas (a bit of fun) quite the same as a belief which is going to affect your life
Speciez99
people who are spending milions to try and get equal time for creationism as evolution in schools in america are not quite the same as children, nor is the idea of father christmas (a bit of fun) quite the same as a belief which is going to affect your life

How does belief in creationism affect your life?

And of course creationism should get equal time - in RE/RS lessons though not in science lessons. Creationism isn't a science as the basis of it's main arguement is a fundab=mental misunderstanding of science (ie the "it's only a theory" arguement)
Reply 54
Speciez99

I don't agree with the equal teaching of the two theories in non religious shools but I think that creationism should be mentioned in gcse science. Saying father christmas doesn't hurt anyone isn't really true. Do you remeber how upset you were when you found out he didn't exist.
Reply 55
Jonatan
Yes but it can be done in a polite manner. Think of the old Japaneese samurais. Eaven though they tried to kill their enemy because the situation required it, it was important not to do so in an unhonorable way. Britain also has a long tradition of politeness. Thus it is ok to disagree and to argue your case, but you should do so in a polite manner.

I agree with that, but speciez makes the point that it is wrong to let the lessone go unlearnt. By all means teach someone politely, but do not under any circumstances let them believe a falsehood. E.g. Rumours. Should you ever let people believe a rumour?
Reply 56
Sire
I agree with that, but speciez makes the point that it is wrong to let the lessone go unlearnt. By all means teach someone politely, but do not under any circumstances let them believe a falsehood. E.g. Rumours. Should you ever let people believe a rumour?

But if you tell someone your theory and they don't agree with you and contiue to believe what they want to believe don't you think they should be left to believe what they want to believe.
Both Pencil Queen and randdom have raised the issue of does creationsim affect your life/ surely father chrismas is important.

Firstly i agree that father christmas can be important to some youngsters and prehaps i should of put a qualifer like "less than on my previous post". However a belief in creationism is going to led to a literal interpretion of the bible which IMO is bad for society. The same groups that promote creationism are the same ones that are trying to convert people in the 3rd world still to christiainity in the believe they are "saving people". The limiting of their power is very important i think espically when they are spouting rubbish. I think that a child will get over the idea of father christmas not being real far better and quicker than creationism and hence its a joke that its taught as a science.

why should creationism be mentioned in biology? because it is not science, its go no crediable evidence backing up, by all means mention it in RE or theology gcse's just not science
Reply 58
Speciez99

The strange problem here is that the people advocating creationism may very well think they are doing the right thing in trying to spread christianity and creationism. No decent person could justify not trying to do what you beleive is right. Thus when I beleive that it is the right thing to do to let people know that creationism is a big pule of junk, it becomes very difficult for me to justify leaving children to beleive whatever nonsense their parents may try to indoctrinate into them. In the end you just have to do what you beleive is right, eaven though someone somewhere is likely to disagree. As I tried to point out in my original post. There is a point were you simply have to use your common sense. Is it acceptable for parents to teach their children a certain religion? Yes! Is it acceptable for parents to punish their children for not beleiving in that religion? No!
Reply 59
randdom
I don't agree with the equal teaching of the two theories in non religious shools but I think that creationism should be mentioned in gcse science. Saying father christmas doesn't hurt anyone isn't really true. Do you remeber how upset you were when you found out he didn't exist.

I was more upset that the person consuming the milk and biscuits was my father, and he wouldn't share with me.

Latest

Trending

Trending