The Student Room Group

Manchester University A100 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marsbar3007
I have found this thread too late :redface: question for anyone who may know: would you say it makes a big difference that I did my caring role back in 2014 ? They say preferably in the past three years but I'm not sure... thanks!

I was told you get fewer marks if the experience you base it on is not recent
Original post by michaela__
Listening and talking is so vital to being a doctor though I think it would be best to include both but I think communication is a vital point to get across.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree with you michaela. Plus when I volunteered at a care home I was not allowed to do any practical stuff for security reasons. I highly doubt the universities will expect us to have done things we are not yet qualified to do!
Original post by SarahCroydon
I was told you get fewer marks if the experience you base it on is not recent

I'm sorry but where have you been getting all the information you post on this thread? Is it from admissions tutors at Manchester? Why would they say preferably in the last 3 years if they were planning on marking you down if it wasn't in the last year? I honestly feel like it's all about how you describe what you did and what you gained from it.
Original post by kayasparkles
I'm sorry but where have you been getting all the information you post on this thread? Is it from admissions tutors at Manchester? Why would they say preferably in the last 3 years if they were planning on marking you down if it wasn't in the last year? I honestly feel like it's all about how you describe what you did and what you gained from it.

My teacher called the admissions team at Manchester a number of times while helping me with the form
Original post by SarahCroydon
It's actually cheaper to study medicine in Europe than here

Yes but it's kind of difficult when your parents aren't rich and you are going to have to rely on loans etc plus I wouldn't be able to come home much so it works out worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I called he told me there wasn't a checklist and not to worry

Posted from TSR Mobile
I completely agree with you michaela. Plus when I volunteered at a care home I was not allowed to do any practical stuff for security reasons. I highly doubt the universities will expect us to have done things we are not yet qualified to do!

Yes exactly like at the hospital I'm not even allowed to help people get out of bed as I've not been trained for that so I just go get a nurse/HCA instead as that's the right thing to do 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DocPK
I do AQA for Chem as well, OCR for bio and OCR MEI for maths. Just got to motivate ourselves to get the grades first time tbh. Yeah same here, apparently it's cheaper there than the UK. Also most of there websites are so ****, can't get any info on applying

You might have to help me in Chem then :wink: I hate organics so much 😭 what bit are you doing at the minute?

Posted from TSR Mobile

exactly I wasn't allowed to do anything practical, so relieved im not the only one.
Yes but it's kind of difficult when your parents aren't rich and you are going to have to rely on loans etc plus I wouldn't be able to come home much so it works out worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My parents are not exactly loaded but I take your point
I intend to teach English to pay for some of the cost if I go over as shortage of private fluent tutors
When I called he told me there wasn't a checklist and not to worry

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the care home I was at we had to do the manual handling as well as other basic training after which you could help residents out of bed and to the wash room
Reply 231
You might have to help me in Chem then :wink: I hate organics so much 😭 what bit are you doing at the minute?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm up for helping each other out in chem 😊 I don't mind organic. Once you know your mechanisms it's all good. Doing aldehydes and ketones in organic and in physical just finished Kc and Kp and now onto acids and bases. What about you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 232
For the nature of the role, would volunteering with people who have disabilities and also a care home be under community work?

What examples would count as 'Medical Experience'
Original post by DocPK
I'm up for helping each other out in chem 😊 I don't mind organic. Once you know your mechanisms it's all good. Doing aldehydes and ketones in organic and in physical just finished Kc and Kp and now onto acids and bases. What about you?

That's so good that you do physical and organic at the same time! We are just doing amines at the minute, wait until you get onto carboxylic acid derivatives 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DocPK
For the nature of the role, would volunteering with people who have disabilities and also a care home be under community work?

What examples would count as 'Medical Experience'

I have the same experience with the disability part and I'm putting that under community work! I think medical experience would be shadowing not sure what else there is tbh😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes exactly like at the hospital I'm not even allowed to help people get out of bed as I've not been trained for that so I just go get a nurse/HCA instead as that's the right thing to do 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha that's exactly what I'm experiencing at the hospital I volunteer at! Glad to hear I'm not the only one lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you ! So they give points on each section? Sorry to be a pain but I wasn't able to go to the open day :-)
Reply 237
That's so good that you do physical and organic at the same time! We are just doing amines at the minute, wait until you get onto carboxylic acid derivatives 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's good but we also learnt A2 stuff last year as we didn't do the official AS 😭😭 omg had a look at that, does not seem fun
Reply 238
I have the same experience with the disability part and I'm putting that under community work! I think medical experience would be shadowing not sure what else there is tbh😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, you're the best! It's so bad but I'm going to have to finish the form tomorrow now as it's Diwali today 😬😂 have you finished yours yet?
Original post by DocPK
Thanks, you're the best! It's so bad but I'm going to have to finish the form tomorrow now as it's Diwali today 😬😂 have you finished yours yet?

No I haven't lol 😂I've just picked up the cutest puppy today so I've been preoccupied 😉😍ImageUploadedByStudent Room1477848321.411178.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending