The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You can change the title.
According to Wikipedia: "Virtue signalling is the expression or promotion of viewpoints that are especially valued within a social group, especially when this is done primarily to enhance the social standing of the speaker." (Clearly the term usually refers to turns of phrase and stuff)

To be honest, unfortunate though it is, there is a bit of that surrounding it. Nonetheless, I still wear my poppy with pride. I might get a white one too this year.
Original post by RayApparently
According to Wikipedia: "Virtue signalling is the expression or promotion of viewpoints that are especially valued within a social group, especially when this is done primarily to enhance the social standing of the speaker." (Clearly the term usually refers to turns of phrase and stuff)

To be honest, unfortunate though it is, there is a bit of that surrounding it. Nonetheless, I still wear my poppy with pride. I might get a white one too this year.

Yeah I'm more just poking fun at the Daily Mail writers.

I don't actually see what is wrong with virtue signalling. Seems like normal human behaviour. The Daily Mail right wing brigade just bang on and on about it when they are just as guilty of it. I can't stand hypocrites.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RayApparently

It's something you can't deny as a result of it being apparent.

I can assure you however that the people I know who wear it and many many others wear the poppy as a personal decision to show sympathy and gratitude and not to 'enhance' social standing.
Original post by Conceited
It's something you can't deny as a result of it being apparent.

I can assure you however that the people I know who wear it and many many others wear the poppy as a personal decision to show sympathy and gratitude and not to 'enhance' social standing.

It's a tricky one. I think poppies are a worthy symbol of remembrance but I do really hate the 'poppy fascism' that seems to crop up this time of year. Not wearing one or only wearing one in private or on Sunday should be completely fine.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yeah I'm more just poking fun at the Daily Mail writers.

I don't actually see what is wrong with virtue signalling. Seems like normal human behaviour. The Daily Mail right wing brigade just band on and on about it when they are just as guilty of it. I can't stand hypocrites.

Good lord, you're not taking on the Herculean task of pointing out all the examples of Daily Mail hypocrisy are you?
Meant to say *virtue signalling* :facepalm:

I'm dyslexic and drunk.

Do you know what virtue signalling means? No. Alright. I'll tell you. Virtue signalling is the promulgation of viewpoints to fit a narrative, especially one in a social or political context to appease a majority-consensus. As such, the poppy cannot be classified as an act of virtue signalling, because the poppy doesn't have any political connotations attached to it. Just because you wear a poppy, that's neither a ringing endorsement for the UK's foreign policy and nor is it you expressing support for bloodshed and violence. The poppy is about remembering the dead, be said British or otherwise, who have lost their lives as a result of warfare. It's not a sign of malice, but an archaic tradition which shows collective societal solidarity for the felled and fallen.

I'm not a progressive by the left's definition of the term, but I am opposed to unnecessary warfare. Iraq was a mistake. And the west's intervention in Libya and Syria has done more harm than good. Nevertheless, let's not politicise the poppy. I don't understand why people are trying to. If you don't want to wear it - fine, but if you don't agree with it - what's wrong with you?
Original post by jake4198
If you don't want to wear it - fine,

Clearly not though given that the media will brand you a Britain hating traitor if you choose not to wear one.

I choose not to wear a red poppy because I don't like the social pressure on people to wear one and the criticism people get for not wearing one. At times there seems to be an element of poppy fascism. If you want to wear one, fine, if you don't, also fine.
If anything, I would wear a white poppy.
Original post by Bornblue
Clearly not though given that the media will brand you a Britain hating traitor if you choose not to wear one.

I choose not to wear a red poppy because I don't like the social pressure on people to wear one and the criticism people get for not wearing one. At times there seems to be an element of poppy fascism. If you want to wear one, fine, if you don't, also fine.
If anything, I would wear a white poppy.

The media? Who? The Daily Mail? The Express? The Sun? The BBC or any other accredited news publication would not take issue with people not wearing the poppy.

If your sole reason for not wearing a poppy is because of the pressure to wear one, then grow up and stop being so petty. I don't wear a poppy because I show my respect by other means, but my decision most certainly wouldn't be influenced people in society.

Sent from phone.
The media? Who? The Daily Mail? The Express? The Sun? The BBC or any other accredited news publication would not take issue with people not wearing the poppy.

If your sole reason for not wearing a poppy is because of the pressure to wear one, then grow up and stop being so petty. I don't wear a poppy because I show my respect by other means, but my decision most certainly wouldn't be influenced people in society.

Sent from phone.

I don't wear a poppy because I consider it a very poor way to show my respects and have better ways of showing my respects to the armed forces.
Do you know what virtue signalling means? No. Alright. I'll tell you. Virtue signalling is the promulgation of viewpoints to fit a narrative, especially one in a social or political context to appease a majority-consensus. As such, the poppy cannot be classified as an act of virtue signalling, because the poppy doesn't have any political connotations attached to it. Just because you wear a poppy, that's neither a ringing endorsement for the UK's foreign policy and nor is it you expressing support for bloodshed and violence. The poppy is about remembering the dead, be said British or otherwise, who have lost their lives as a result of warfare.

It's as political as a national flag is. Rightly or wrongly, the poppy is widely seen as a particularly British symbol. Despite the RBL's efforts to insist it is an international symbol of war rememberance, outside the Anglophone Commonwealth states, it's rarely used. Other countries have their own, often different symbolisms. Furthermore, given the direct association of the poppy with national military veterans' groups, that inevitably appears to associate it with the national armies of those countries.
Meant to say *virtue signalling* :facepalm:

I'm dyslexic and drunk.

You're hardly in a position to talk about virtue signalling lol. Especially after last year when you on that yellow poppy time. Or white or whatever it is SJWs wear.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom
You're hardly in a position to talk about virtue signalling lol. Especially after last year when you on that yellow poppy time. Or white or whatever it is SJWs wear.

Quite a lot of veterans, who have served in the armed forces choose to wear a white poppy.
Are they social justice warriors?

This is what I mean by poppy fascism, that unless you wear a poppy you will be regarded as a Britain hating traitor. People often wear them to try and show just how much they love their country, without actually doing anything meaningful for the armed forces. If one really wants to show their respect to the armed forces then donate money, do a sponsored event or campaign against the government's decision to cut funding to veterans. Don't wear a piece of paper one day a year and claim the moral high ground.

If someone wants to wear a poppy. that is entirely their choice. But they shouldn't go round thinking it makes them better than people who exercise their choice not to.
(edited 7 years ago)
The poppy is definitely political.Maybe it shouldn't be but it is.If you want proof of this then all you need to do is get jeremy corbyn not to wear one on remembrance sunday.I can guarantee you that the tabloids would not shut up about it for at least a month.Maybe its not meant to be political.But its definitely used as political point scoring.Everyone on tv has to wear one otherwise they are heavily frowned upon.This actually misses the point because there is no point in doing it if its not voluntary.
Original post by Robby2312
The poppy is definitely political.Maybe it shouldn't be but it is.If you want proof of this then all you need to do is get jeremy corbyn not to wear one on remembrance sunday.I can guarantee you that the tabloids would not shut up about it for at least a month.Maybe its not meant to be political.But its definitely used as political point scoring.Everyone on tv has to wear one otherwise they are heavily frowned upon.This actually misses the point because there is no point in doing it if its not voluntary.

Exactly.

Rather than be a voluntary way for people to show their respects, it has become almost a way for the right wing press to oust 'traitors' and 'enemies of the state'.

If you wear a really big poppy though, it shows just how much you love your country!!

Sent from phone.

I don't wear a Poppy. I have a son in the Armed Forces who has completed tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. I show my respect for Armed Forces past and present by using what free time I have throughout the year by making blankets for those who have served their country in the 2 World Wars. Many of them now living in poverty and having to make the unenviable choice of spending the winter months to 'eat or heat.'
I don't and never have in my 68 years bowed to social pressure of any kind. I do what I do because I want to.
Original post by Seamus123
I don't wear a Poppy. I have a son in the Armed Forces who has completed tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. I show my respect for Armed Forces past and present by using what free time I have throughout the year by making blankets for those who have served their country in the 2 World Wars. Many of them now living in poverty and having to make the unenviable choice of spending the winter months to 'eat or heat.'
I don't and never have in my 68 years bowed to social pressure of any kind. I do what I do because I want to.

You're not wearing a poppy because you don't want to succumb to social pressure? Do you think that's noble? To me, you come across as self-righteous and narcissistic. As I said in my previous post, I also don't wear a poppy because I show my respect by other means. If you don't want to wear one, then that's fine. However, to not wear one out of opposition to "the pressure" to wear one is so self-centred it borders on petty.
Wearing poppies has been a symbol of remembrance and respect for many decades now. The fact that people want to take that away from people is quite disturbing.
I would totally wear a poppy if it actually continued to stand for what it was originally intended to stand for... you know, hope, not militarism.

Latest

Trending

Trending