The Student Room Group

Dropping an A Level - Help!

I started studying Economics this year and I have quickly grown to find it much too difficult for me. I have been looking into dropping the A Level and instead taking a BTEC in H&S care, however my school will not let me because it is oversubscribed. I am really stuck for what to do, as I don't have the choice of dropping out and going to college because it's too far into the year as it is. My school will only let me swap to Business Studies, but I will find this just as difficult and unenjoyable as I am currently finding Economics.

Has anyone got any sort of advice as to what I could do? I am really stressed and stuck for ideas on how to fix the situation.

Thanks!
Original post by starbix
I started studying Economics this year and I have quickly grown to find it much too difficult for me. I have been looking into dropping the A Level and instead taking a BTEC in H&S care, however my school will not let me because it is oversubscribed. I am really stuck for what to do, as I don't have the choice of dropping out and going to college because it's too far into the year as it is. My school will only let me swap to Business Studies, but I will find this just as difficult and unenjoyable as I am currently finding Economics.

Has anyone got any sort of advice as to what I could do? I am really stressed and stuck for ideas on how to fix the situation.

Thanks!

Are you currently taking 4 A-Levels? If you're struggling that much, then maybe you could drop economics and just do the three. At least then you'd have more time to focus on the remaining ones, and hopefully do really well. Discuss it with your sixth form
Reply 2
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Are you currently taking 4 A-Levels? If you're struggling that much, then maybe you could drop economics and just do the three. At least then you'd have more time to focus on the remaining ones, and hopefully do really well. Discuss it with your sixth form

Thanks for the advice. Currently I'm only taking three under the new A-Levels spec and so only people taking subjects such as Further Maths could take a fourth to support it. I spoke to one of my sixth form advisers this morning and they have arranged for me to get extra help with the subject because they feel as if I would be extremely held back if I did drop it as it would make it a lot harder to get into any reputable university.

Just going to try and stick at it for the moment!
Original post by starbix

Thanks!

Business Studies is meant to be much easier than Economics- apparently. i did it at gcse and it was pretty easy- a level business does not have any diagrams like economics or any diagrams which you have to analyse.
Original post by starbix

Thanks!

Did you find stuff like the demand and supply diagrams hard?
Reply 5
Original post by sunshine774
Business Studies is meant to be much easier than Economics- apparently. i did it at gcse and it was pretty easy- a level business does not have any diagrams like economics or any diagrams which you have to analyse.

Original post by sunshine774
Did you find stuff like the demand and supply diagrams hard?

Hiya, thanks so much for replying!

The supply and demand concepts were about the only things I understood and from then I have been struggling quite a bit, and did you enjoy business? I'm considering maybe switching over to doing that instead if I am really struggling later on to the point where I think I'll get a U.
Original post by starbix
Hiya, thanks so much for replying!

The supply and demand concepts were about the only things I understood and from then I have been struggling quite a bit, and did you enjoy business? I'm considering maybe switching over to doing that instead if I am really struggling later on to the point where I think I'll get a U.

I loved business so much!:h: It's why I decided to study econ at a level, and I would now like to study it at uni.:smile: It helped me with some of the contexts in economics like economies of scale, which I have already studied. I really think you should switch over if you find it too hard- you know how you feel! Meanwhile, check out pajholden, econplusdal and acdcleadership- these are all AMAZING youtubers who will help you to understand econ properly (especially if you have crappy teachers lol :tongue:). Tell me how you find the videos and best of luck!!!x:biggrin:
Also I have heard (and seen) that the gcse business course is very similar to the A level course.:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest