The Student Room Group
Reply 1
All difficult to get in to. Here's the defiinitive guide to the respective careers:

Medicine: Maximum career credibility, just like Casualty, fantastic arrogance and salary once you reach consultant, may marry a nurse
Dentistry: Back ache, working in disguisting cramped mouths, arsey dental assistants, sued at every heel and turn
Optometry: Low stress, some clinical credibility, reasonable pay, might get a bit tedious saying clearer with one or clearer with 2 plus you could still end up in jail for missing something

Go for medicine
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
All difficult to get in to. Here's the defiinitive guide to the respective careers:

Medicine: Maximum career credibility, just like Casualty, fantastic arrogance and salary once you reach consultant, may marry a nurse
Dentistry: Back ache, working in disguisting cramped mouths, arsey dental assistants, sued at every heel and turn
Optometry: Low stress, some clinical credibility, reasonable pay, might get a bit tedious saying clearer with one or clearer with 2 plus you could still end up in jail for missing something

Go for medicine

LMAO wtf, you can get sued with all three though but this made me lol
Reply 3
But honestly it depends on your grades ngl so dont stress yet, wait till you've slayed your exams. x
Original post by Zarek

Go for medicine

Do you have an idea what the pay is? I've heard a lot of people on TSR complaining about the career in Optometry
Reply 5
Original post by honour
Do you have an idea what the pay is? I've heard a lot of people on TSR complaining about the career in Optometry

~£40k once established. Not bad for a relatively pleasant clinical role
Original post by Zarek
~£40k once established. Not bad for a relatively pleasant clinical role

Yes that's what I thought. Do get paid lower if you work for the NHS, do you know?
Reply 7
Original post by honour
Yes that's what I thought. Do get paid lower if you work for the NHS, do you know?
Dont really know the details to be honest, you would have to do a bit of Googling or browse a careers book in Waterstones.
Reply 8
Original post by honour

You start out with a low pay somewhere around 20k but if you progress and move up bands it can be >40k
u guys should go on to the website u-explore.com
Its fantastic . Signup and u will love it because u can search different careers and they have loads of information
im interested in optometry and i had a few questions
I'm a third year optom student, I have enjoyed Optometry, but I have applied for Medicine this year! Let me put it as basic as I can if you love a hospital environment (as I have found working in an Ophthalmology clinic) then go for Medicine honestly. But Optom isn't bad and I have learnt invaluable skills! Also the first reply pretty much hit it on the head!

Latest