The Student Room Group

UCAS- Applied but want to take a gap year?

hi!

My situation currently is that I've applied to optometry this year and have received some offers from them. Initially, I wanted to apply to dentistry, but UCAT didn't go well so I decided my next option was optometry and did so.

However, now I have maybe realised I haven't really got my heart set on optometry and want to give dentistry another go. But I fear the uncertainty of my second UCAT results not being good enough.

I must reply to my UCAS offers by June 8th. And I'll be taking UCAT in around August. So is it possible to accept a choice on UCAS and then not go to that university in September (say my UCAT went great and I decided to reapply)?

sorry if my wording was complicated!

thanks for any advice!
(edited 5 months ago)
Hey there - moved your thread to the dentistry forum.

Yes, you can absolutely accept a UCAS offer and then not go to that uni come September, although this has some drawbacks - you ideally want to be doing something for your potential gap year, so not knowing if you'll be going to uni or not will make your planning more complicated.
Yes, you’re not really committed to anything unless you formally enrol.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
Yes, you’re not really committed to anything unless you formally enrol.

hello, thank you for your reply, just another question. so when would I have to enrol if I were to go on to to optometry?
Reply 4
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hey there - moved your thread to the dentistry forum.

Yes, you can absolutely accept a UCAS offer and then not go to that uni come September, although this has some drawbacks - you ideally want to be doing something for your potential gap year, so not knowing if you'll be going to uni or not will make your planning more complicated.

Hi, thank you for your reply. indeed, I haven't planned at all for a gap year. But I do have some plans to volunteer in a hospital and possibly travel.
Also, do you how I should inform the university that I won't be going although I accepted the offer and when would be the latest that I can do this?

thank you very much!
Original post by iverer
hello, thank you for your reply, just another question. so when would I have to enrol if I were to go on to to optometry?

Can't speak specifically for optometry, but for most undergrad courses enrolment happens 4-6weeks ahead of the actual course start date.

That would be the point I'd notify them that I wasn't joining if I wanted to keep my options open up until then.
Original post by iverer
hi!

My situation currently is that I've applied to optometry this year and have received some offers from them. Initially, I wanted to apply to dentistry, but UCAT didn't go well so I decided my next option was optometry and did so.

However, now I have maybe realised I haven't really got my heart set on optometry and want to give dentistry another go. But I fear the uncertainty of my second UCAT results not being good enough.

I must reply to my UCAS offers by June 8th. And I'll be taking UCAT in around August. So is it possible to accept a choice on UCAS and then not go to that university in September (say my UCAT went great and I decided to reapply)?

sorry if my wording was complicated!

thanks for any advice!

You could always withdraw your application maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest