The Student Room Group

peak flow readings

hi there everyone, very random i know. was just wondering if you smoke and are a unfit person can that effect your peak flow readings???, im a male, 20 years of age, 6ft4, never had asthma, i smoke a lot a drink a lot on the weekends, dont do exercise, iv hit 325 first time and 400 second time, is this to do with smoking?? thankyou
Original post by jacksman
hi there everyone, very random i know. was just wondering if you smoke and are a unfit person can that effect your peak flow readings???, im a male, 20 years of age, 6ft4, never had asthma, i smoke a lot a drink a lot on the weekends, dont do exercise, iv hit 325 first time and 400 second time, is this to do with smoking?? thankyou

The smoking would affect your peak flow reading, I m asthmatic and 5 4 and get readings like that.
smoking will affect your readings

I'm also 5'5 and get readings around 300-380, my boyfriend can blow 600-700
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
The smoking would affect your peak flow reading, I m asthmatic and 5 4 and get readings like that.

thank you for the reply, does it really affect it that much???
Reply 4
Original post by doodle_333
smoking will affect your readings

I'm also 5'5 and get readings around 300-380, my boyfriend can blow 600-700

need to quit smoking fast, second time i only reached 400!! does your boy friend smoke? i thought it wouldn't affect it at all thats why i was concerned
need to quit smoking fast, second time i only reached 400!! does your boy friend smoke? i thought it wouldn't affect it at all thats why i was concerned

nope neither of us smoke (although I am asthmatic)
Reply 6
nope neither of us smoke (although I am asthmatic)

how does it affect it that much if you dont mind me asking??

From what I ve been told it can make quite a difference you re damaging your lungs by smoking after all, go see a health professional for some support :smile:

I don't know. I just know when I got checked out for asthma my doctor basically said my peak flow readings wouldn't be especially low if I was a smoker. It makes sense really with all the stuff you're filling your lungs with that they're not going to work so well.
Reply 9
I don't know. I just know when I got checked out for asthma my doctor basically said my peak flow readings wouldn't be especially low if I was a smoker. It makes sense really with all the stuff you're filling your lungs with that they're not going to work so well.

huh? so smoking doesn't affect it?? never suffered from asthma all my life never wheeze never short of breathe of stuff like that thats why im a bit concerned, trying to join the army next year you see and just worried that they will tell me its a symptom of asthma,
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending