The Student Room Group

Best A-levels for psychology at uni?

I'm thinking of studying psychology at university, maybe going onto clinical psychology in the future, the A-levels I'm thinking to do are psychology and maths but I'm not sure on a third/fourth? Biology is sometimes recommended but I don't like it the subject, any other recommendations?
Original post by Lohikäärme
I'm thinking of studying psychology at university, maybe going onto clinical psychology in the future, the A-levels I'm thinking to do are psychology and maths but I'm not sure on a third/fourth? Biology is sometimes recommended but I don't like it the subject, any other recommendations?

Psychology, maths, chemistry, biology.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Psychology, maths, chemistry, biology.

Any reasons why?
Reply 3

From my experience of both doing a foundation year in psychology and currently being a 3rd undergraduate, I'd say:

Psychology, sociology/history (any subject which involves essay writing because there's alot of it) and possibly maths?

Chemistry isn't needed because there's literally no chemistry in psychology from my experience. I didn't do a biology A Level either and although there's been 'some' biology - I haven't suffered by not taking it :smile:
Reply 4
I've applied for psychology at university

I currently do psychology sociology and law. All of these involve a lot of essay writing and evaluating . I also did English literature which involve analysis also.
Original post by Deyesy
From my experience of both doing a foundation year in psychology and currently being a 3rd undergraduate, I'd say:

Psychology, sociology/history (any subject which involves essay writing because there's alot of it) and possibly maths?

Chemistry isn't needed because there's literally no chemistry in psychology from my experience. I didn't do a biology A Level either and although there's been 'some' biology - I haven't suffered by not taking it :smile:

I was a bit worried about Chemistry because I can't do it and I thought it might come up! I was thinking between sociology or philosophy but I can't really decide between the two!
Matha and biology are the preferred subjects for a lot of universities. I have applied for psychology at university and I do psychology sociology ang english literature. If you do psychology a level then I would say sociology compliments it nicely :biggrin: like seriously
(edited 7 years ago)
Any reasons why?

Psychology - self-explanatory

Maths - there's a lot of statistics involved, which means that studying stats modules in maths would help a lot

Biology - you'll understand the various neurological processes that go on in the brain. Action potentials, anatomy, membrane receptors that receive signals from the hypothalamus. It's essential if you want to understand how psychology impacts the brain. But if you don't care, then it's worthless. Regardless, many people will still take it, and it could prove advantageous.

Chemistry - helps you understand the biology involved, to put it simply. It's not at all required, just a strong facilitating subject that has mild relevance to psychology.

I'd certainly recommend psychology and maths, along with another facilitating subject, such as English, biology, history etc.

Edit: the biology content varies by university. If you go to Universities like Oxbridge, you'll likely find it a lot more biology based.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TK_23
I've applied for psychology at university

I currently do psychology sociology and law. All of these involve a lot of essay writing and evaluating . I also did English literature which involve analysis also.

Did you find law relates much to psychology?
Original post by Shaaayxp
Matha and biology are the preferred subjects for a lot of universities. I have applied for psychology at university and I do psychology sociology ang english literature. If you do psychology a level then I would say sociology compliments it nicely :biggrin:

I was thinking sociology or philosophy too!

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Psychology - self-explanatory

Maths - there's a lot of statistics involved, which means that studying stats modules in maths would help a lot

Biology - you'll understand the various neurological processes that go on in the brain. Action potentials, anatomy, membrane receptors that receive signals from the hypothalamus. It's essential if you want to understand how psychology impacts the brain. But if you don't care, then it's worthless. Regardless, many people will still take it, and it could prove advantageous.

Chemistry - helps you understand the biology involved, to put it simply. It's not at all required, just a strong facilitating subject that has mild relevance to psychology.

I'd certainly recommend psychology and maths, along with another facilitating subject, such as English, biology, history etc.

This is very detailed thank you!
Reply 10
Did you find law relates much to psychology?

I do criminal psychology and criminal sociology so they ended up fitting :smile:.
But I did it purely out of interest really.

Check with some unis on what subjects they like
Original post by TK_23
I do criminal psychology and criminal sociology so they ended up fitting :smile:.
But I did it purely out of interest really.

Check with some unis on what subjects they like

What is criminal psychology like?
Reply 12
I was a bit worried about Chemistry because I can't do it and I thought it might come up! I was thinking between sociology or philosophy but I can't really decide between the two!

Chemistry really isn't necessary if you're intending to study psychology at university. Sociology and philosophy would both be good choices as they're essay based :smile:

I just had a look at the University of Bath's psychology entry requirements for you (they're the 3rd best in the country for it) and all they say is that they prefer applicants to be studying a combination of A Levels which prepare them for studying it at university - which is what studying psychology, maths and sociology/philosophy would do ^^
(edited 7 years ago)
I was thinking sociology or philosophy too!

This is very detailed thank you!

I have a friend who does psychology philosophy and English literature. I think you should find out more about what the a level courses for sociology and philosophy entail and see which one you like best :smile:
Reply 14
What is criminal psychology like?

Interesting! :biggrin:. We also look at the child psychology in our specification so I'm looking forward to that too
Reply 15
Original post by Shaaayxp
I have a friend who does psychology philosophy and English literature. I think you should find out more about what the a level courses for sociology and philosophy entail and see which one you like best :smile:

I'm planning to do this so is that a strong combination and will universities look favourably on it?

Quick Reply

Latest