The Student Room Group

I want to do a level history

I am currently studying 3 a levels which include biology, chemistry and psychology. I have been studying biology and chemistry since the beginning but changed cs to physics then now psychology. I was contemplating taking history but decided against it however I am now regretting it. The issue is I don't think the teachers will now let me change a level course, however I was wondering whether I would be able to history additionally or whether I could do it next year.
The uni course I am considering include engineering, pharmacy, optometry and computing.
Should I pick... History?

This video might be of use.
Original post by bkr32
I am currently studying 3 a levels which include biology, chemistry and psychology. I have been studying biology and chemistry since the beginning but changed cs to physics then now psychology. I was contemplating taking history but decided against it however I am now regretting it. The issue is I don't think the teachers will now let me change a level course, however I was wondering whether I would be able to history additionally or whether I could do it next year.
The uni course I am considering include engineering, pharmacy, optometry and computing.

It's definitely doable, whether it is recommended is another story. Can you drop psychology next year? if so you can take History in conjunction with the three courses and drop Psychology next year.
I am not too sure as the courses are linear, so the question being would I be able to cover history in a year? Also I'm not sure whether I can drop psychology also due the course being linear.
Original post by Jasaron
Should I pick... History?

This video might be of use.

The issue isn't whether I should do it or not it's more will I be able to do it. I always felt it was one of my stronger subjects, the main reason being I genuinely have an interest for it which probably can't be said for any other subject. I got an A at gcse (with around 60% attendance for my history lesson). I wonder whether my liking to it as well as my gcse grade could influence my chances of getting on at all.
Original post by wolfmoon88
It's definitely doable, whether it is recommended is another story. Can you drop psychology next year? if so you can take History in conjunction with the three courses and drop Psychology next year.

I am not too sure as the courses are linear, so the question being would I be able to cover history in one year? Also I'm not sure whether I can drop psychology also due to the course being linear.
Original post by bkr32
I am not too sure as the courses are linear, so the question being would I be able to cover history in one year? Also I'm not sure whether I can drop psychology also due to the course being linear.

I am sure you can cover it in one year, it is just whether you have the time to do it (I do not think you do have the time) Go talk with you teachers about it and see if they'll let you do it.
I am sure you can cover it in one year, it is just whether you have the time to do it (I do not think you do have the time) Go talk with you teachers about it and see if they'll let you do it.

If the answer is no then is there no other way I can do it?
Original post by bkr32
If the answer is no then is there no other way I can do it?

I can't think of another way... sorry
I can't think of another way... sorry

What if I was to have it in addition to my current a levels, is there any chance they would let me on now?
Original post by bkr32
What if I was to have it in addition to my current a levels, is there any chance they would let me on now?

There is a chance but you would have to ask your teachers about that one. However I would warn you that 4 A levels plus EPQ (if you are doing it) is extremely tough and the workload is hard to handle.
There is a chance but you would have to ask your teachers about that one. However I would warn you that 4 A levels plus EPQ (if you are doing it) is extremely tough and the workload is hard to handle.

The main reason for my change of mind is due to my complete disinterest in psychology and chemistry. I wanted an a level which genuinely interests me which biology partly does but I believe history very much would interest me.
Original post by bkr32
The main reason for my change of mind is due to my complete disinterest in psychology and chemistry. I wanted an a level which genuinely interests me which biology partly does but I believe history very much would interest me.

Honestly, as a person who has taken Psychology and is taking Chemistry... I do not blame you. I hated psychology and found it uninteresting... (which might be also why I got a 6 rather than a 7 in my IB exam last semester) I personally love Chemistry, Biology and History. I am sure you will find History very interesting indeed but having an essay heavy subject on top of Chemistry, Biology and Psychology might be extremely hard...
I understand exactly what you mean but I feel as though if I am interested it provides me with motivation to complete the work. Also how difficult did you find chemistry?
Original post by bkr32
I understand exactly what you mean but I feel as though if I am interested it provides me with motivation to complete the work. Also how difficult did you find chemistry?

I find Chemistry challenging, probably the most challenging course I am taking right now after English Literature. And yeah perhaps but that's still a lot of time you are spending.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find Chemistry challenging, probably the most challenging course I am taking right now after English Literature. And yeah perhaps but that's still a lot of time you are spending.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would they let me drop psychology? I have only been on it for 3 weeks. I am also quite worried about chemistry since I am working at a C grade according to most of my test and nearly all the uni courses I am interested in require at least a B.
Original post by bkr32
Would they let me drop psychology? I have only been on it for 3 weeks. I am also quite worried about chemistry since I am working at a C grade according to most of my test and nearly all the uni courses I am interested in require at least a B.

You still have time to bring up your grade for Chemistry. I don't know if they'll let you drop psychology but 3 weeks in, it would be reasonable for you to try.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest