The Student Room Group

Best universities in Italy for international studies?

Hi! I'm an Italian student, currently on her fifth (and last) year of high school and I'm very confused about where to study international relations next year.
Until some time ago I was actually heading towards studying in Scotland (good universities and free tuition for me, an EU students) but after some research I've realised I couldn't really afford living there. Even if I did manage to get into Glasgow or Edinburgh or Aberdeen's universities I still wouldn't have 700€ (this is what I have found to be the average for these cities) circa to spend every month on rent, transport, food etc.
So I'm 99% sure I'll be studying in Italy next year. But where? Right now in my provisional list there are :
1. Bocconi University;
2. University of Milan;
3. University of Bologna (which doesn't provide an English-taught bachelor for this, though).
Bocconi University is actually private, with tuition fees ranging from 5k to 12k euros a year, but since my parents' income is very low and since I'd be considered an "out of office" I'd receive a scholarship that would allow me to cover my tuition fees completely.
Now, the course I'd be applying to is "International Politics and Government" (https://www.unibocconi.eu/wps/wcm/connect/Bocconi/SitoPubblico_EN/Navigation+Tree/Home/Programs/Undergraduate+School/Prospective+Students/International+Politics+and+Government/Program+Structure/) which has been activated only 2 years ago, so I don't have any data that would allow to compare this courses to others available in Italy. Plus, I'm not sure whether Bocconi University is actually worth it; I mean, I would still be spending my whole scholarship just on tuition fees, so, it should actually be very good.
So, what are your thoughts on this? Any advice? What do you think are the best places to study international relations in Italy?

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for your time. Have a good day!
Original post by paryzanka
Hi! I'm an Italian student, currently on her fifth (and last) year of high school and I'm very confused about where to study international relations next year.
Until some time ago I was actually heading towards studying in Scotland (good universities and free tuition for me, an EU students) but after some research I've realised I couldn't really afford living there. Even if I did manage to get into Glasgow or Edinburgh or Aberdeen's universities I still wouldn't have 700€ (this is what I have found to be the average for these cities) circa to spend every month on rent, transport, food etc.
So I'm 99% sure I'll be studying in Italy next year. But where? Right now in my provisional list there are :
1. Bocconi University;
2. University of Milan;
3. University of Bologna (which doesn't provide an English-taught bachelor for this, though).
Bocconi University is actually private, with tuition fees ranging from 5k to 12k euros a year, but since my parents' income is very low and since I'd be considered an "out of office" I'd receive a scholarship that would allow me to cover my tuition fees completely.
Now, the course I'd be applying to is "International Politics and Government" (https://www.unibocconi.eu/wps/wcm/connect/Bocconi/SitoPubblico_EN/Navigation+Tree/Home/Programs/Undergraduate+School/Prospective+Students/International+Politics+and+Government/Program+Structure/) which has been activated only 2 years ago, so I don't have any data that would allow to compare this courses to others available in Italy. Plus, I'm not sure whether Bocconi University is actually worth it; I mean, I would still be spending my whole scholarship just on tuition fees, so, it should actually be very good.
So, what are your thoughts on this? Any advice? What do you think are the best places to study international relations in Italy?

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for your time. Have a good day!

Hi,

I am english, but hoping to study in Italy next year. I hope to study engineering at the free university of bolzano. I can get a study grant from the south tyrollean government, which covers tuition and a small contribution to living expenses (around €1600/year). I'm not sure if I could also get a grant from the italian government (http://www.esteri.it/mae/en/ministero/servizi/stranieri/opportunita/borsestudio_stranieri.html) but would be great if I could.

not sure if this uni would interest you or if it has a suitable course (not entirely sure what international studies is!), although it is a very international uni, with courses taught in 3 languages -- you begin with a good knowledge of 2.

Living costs are apparently €600/ month, which I hear is a lot for italy, but not much compared to the UK. I finished school last summer and am working this year so hopefully i can earn some money this year. I'd love to graduate debt free, which should be possible if I save a lot this year and work while studying and get the grant(s).

hope that helps
Reply 2
Where are you at now? And how did you make your decision?
Wow, I didn't know I still get TSR emails ahahah. I did indeed go on to study mech eng at the uni I was talking about (unibz) and I am about to finish, just writing my dissertation now. It's been such a great experience, although it started out as a way of avoiding loads of student debt, there are so many other things that have made this a great choice. I saw your other thread -- if you have any questions I'm happy to respond!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending