The Student Room Group

Achieving top grades at A-Level?

I'm in year 12 and I really want to do well in my A-Levels, realistically, I'd like to get As and A*s. I'm doing English Literature, Psychology and Geography. I'm also doing the EPQ.

I've read a lot about how you need to do a lot of extra reading around your subjects for the top grades, obviously for English I need to read a wide variety of books, and for Geography I've subscribed to a magazine that has a lot of current information on geographical issues. I don't know what else to do for extra reading around the subjects?

Thank you, I appreciate any help!
Original post by mjb633
I'm in year 12 and I really want to do well in my A-Levels, realistically, I'd like to get As and A*s. I'm doing English Literature, Psychology and Geography. I'm also doing the EPQ.

I've read a lot about how you need to do a lot of extra reading around your subjects for the top grades, obviously for English I need to read a wide variety of books, and for Geography I've subscribed to a magazine that has a lot of current information on geographical issues. I don't know what else to do for extra reading around the subjects?

Out of those subjects I only did Psychology so I can only comment on that. I personally didn't do much reading around, simply because the specification doesn't require it.
I feel that knowing the content on the specification perfectly is much better preparation than knowing the content generally along with interesting facts on the topic.
This is just my opinion of course, but I did get an A* at A level so I don't think this approach hindered me.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jemmaaa0853
Out of those subjects I only did Psychology so I can only comment on that. I personally didn't do much reading around, simply because the specification doesn't require it.
I feel that knowing the content on the specification perfectly is much better preparation than knowing the content generally along with interesting facts on the topic.
This is just my opinion of course, but I did get an A* at A level so I don't think this approach hindered me.
Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much! Do you have any advice that really helped you learn the content well? Also well done on your result that's amazing! :smile:
Original post by mjb633
Thank you so much! Do you have any advice that really helped you learn the content well? Also well done on your result that's amazing! :smile:

Haha thank you! My main technique was summarising all my notes onto index cards (including theories and research studies) that I would go over and over again with family/friends until I knew them all well enough to verbalise each possible essay in about 5 minutes.
Also I did some past papers in the month before the exam just to get me used to timings.
I think if you put the time in, you will achieve highly.
Original post by mjb633

what is the geography magazine called?
Reply 5
Original post by jemmaaa0853
Haha thank you! My main technique was summarising all my notes onto index cards (including theories and research studies) that I would go over and over again with family/friends until I knew them all well enough to verbalise each possible essay in about 5 minutes.
Also I did some past papers in the month before the exam just to get me used to timings.
I think if you put the time in, you will achieve highly.

Thank you so much that's really useful! I'll use that technique :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 99Qwerty99
what is the geography magazine called?

It's called Geography Review, it's really good quality and has a lot of information in it. I got it through my sixth form so it was £15 for an annual subscription so if you are considering getting it, I'd recommend asking your sixth form or college about it, to see if you can get a cheaper price. If not it's £38. I'll link it below.

https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Product?Product=9781471857140

Quick Reply

Latest