The Student Room Group

only 5 GCSE's, mention reasons?

Hello,

I only have 5 GCSE's, because I moved to the UK when I was 15/16, so I had my first go at GCSE's at a 16+college. Should I mention this specifically, or would they know my circumstances based on the other UCAS information?
Original post by motassks
Hello,

I only have 5 GCSE's, because I moved to the UK when I was 15/16, so I had my first go at GCSE's at a 16+college. Should I mention this specifically, or would they know my circumstances based on the other UCAS information?

This should be explained in your reference not in your PS
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
This should be explained in your reference not in your PS

Ok, thank you. I assume I should I tell my college that they should write it in their reference? They probably won't mention it otherwise, because the college where I did my GCSEs is not the college where I'm doing my Level 3 qualifications now.
As long as you have the GCSEs and grades that they want, it doesn't need to be spoken about.

I had 2 Cs and 3 Ds - but never mentioned why I only had five GCSEs (and three at level 1 to boot). I got offers for four separate degree courses at three separate universities (including a law-based course at a Russell Group). I have only 5 GCSEs because I was home educated for three years - and my science GCSE (Human Physiology and Health) is like the lesser spotted whatever, according to admissions tutors when I wanted to do BTEC Applied Science after finishing my GCSEs.

As long as you have the English and maths grades they want (plus science if necessary for the course you want to do), they're more concerned with your level 3 (A-level, BTEC, Access, etc.) grades. I don't even have predicted grades for level 3 (although I have gotten three distinctions since I sent my application off), and like I say, I have four offers - I haven't gotten any English or maths qualifications since finishing my GCSEs in 2008.

As long as your English and maths are up to the standard they expect, you should be okay (assuming you have the level 3 qualifications they want, obvs!).

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending