The Student Room Group

What age did you read and discover Harry Potter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airmed
My sister bought me the scarf from the London store, Ravenclaw one. I was given a Time Turner necklace and a Snitch bracelet by a lovely someone for my birthday. I have Harry Potter pjs, I am that obsessed. My mug says 'I solemnly swear I am up to no good'. :love: Stg, me and Harry Potter stuff is dangerous. :laugh:

Mine says The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in the book title font and Diagon Alley underneath :|

lol but I treasure it..mangled and all

wow didn't know they had all that, see I didn't go I stayed back- couldn't afford to pay my own way so just let them to it :\

Oh and on the back of the mug is the Horntail blowing but it's not colourful or anything :\
Original post by sr90
Well put it this way, I remember queuing up with my parents to get the books before some of the people replying to this thread were even born.

One of the things i'm incredibly grateful to my parents for is ensuring that we all read lots of books from an early age.

There's a good chance that there are a few first editions in my family's possession, but as 3 of us all used them as kids (and they've now been gathering dust in the attic for years) they'll hardly be in mint condition. I keep meaning to check when I go home but always forget!

Same here man, queued for ages to get them, got first editions, read them to hell, now they have heavy damage from wear, wouldn't have it any other way :smile:
Reply 23
How old were you when you first read the books / watched the films?

I was 10 I think when I read the first book? (I'm now 23) I only ever read the first five as I gradually stopped reading as I got older. As for the films, I've only seen the first 2. Shame on me.

How / Why did you decide/want to read/watch the books or films?

I read the books simply because everyone else did, it was a race against time to finish the books first, bit of a competition.

Did the series help you in your life at all? Has it played a big part in your life?

Not at all since I've not read or seen the entire series. Although a lot of people have tried to make me watch them all. I'll get round to it eventually lol.
lucky you😃👍 same amount here, book no. 5 & 6, quidditch through the ages & fantastic beasts 1st edition
Reply 25
Not going to lie, never read it :|

never seen the films either

or LOTR for that matter

am I missing out?

I don't think I am, I'm just not into wizards and stuff...
Original post by Airmed
How old were you when you first read the books / watched the films? I was 8.

How / Why did you decide/want to read/watch the books or films? I saw PoA in the school library, picked it up, and I've been in love ever since. :love:

Did the series help you in your life at all? Has it played a big part in your life? Yes. It helped me get over my parents' divorce. It made me be comfortable to know that it's ok to be different (and I am quite different; thank you Luna :love:). It's my go-to series when my mental health is rubbish, or I need a pick me up. For years it has been the only series I have read more than three time (we're bordering on perhaps nearly 100 times now).

wow, that's a lot of times you've read them :smile:, hope your're alright now
the spine of my books seem to be in danger of splitting especially Order of the Phoenix (I've been listening to the audiobook version on youtube which is worth checking out as well :smile:
Original post by Allie4
Not going to lie, never read it :|

never seen the films either

or LOTR for that matter

am I missing out?

I don't think I am, I'm just not into wizards and stuff...

Oh dear...- have you been living under a rock for the last few years?:s-smilie:
don't think your're missing out where the lord of the rings are concerned since I've never seen LOTR either

you're probably missing out a lot on the HP front though

I'd say go to your local library and grab a copy of the Philosophers Stone (then again it depends if its there or not since the new spin off films out this week...
or ask to borrow a copy from a friend (but I wouldn't lend my precious HP books to anyone so order of Amazon or something

try and watch the books before the films (or do ike i did watch the first film first to get the jist of things might help you understand the book better.
Original post by JohnGreek
9-10

even though I stupidly started with Book 6 and had no idea as to who everyone was

well that was a silly idea... :smile:
Hope you decided to read them in the right order eventually :smile:
Original post by Deanio

I was 10 I think when I read the first book? (I'm now 23) I only ever read the first five as I gradually stopped reading as I got older. As for the films, I've only seen the first 2. Shame on me.

I read the books simply because everyone else did, it was a race against time to finish the books first, bit of a competition.

Did the series help you in your life at all? Has it played a big part in your life?

Not at all since I've not read or seen the entire series. Although a lot of people have tried to make me watch them all. I'll get round to it eventually lol.

there's an audiobook series on youtube where you can listen to them if you can't be bothered to read them if you're interested, tbf they are quite heavy to hold
OMG my cousin used to be OBSESSED with Harry Potter and still says my brother looks like Harry- he does actually!:tongue:

Original post by bizzy_penguin
okay so Fantastic Beasts is nearly here 😃😃😃
so I thought we could start a thread about how Harry Potter series has affected us.

Did the series help you in your life at all?
Has it played a big part in your life?

okay i'll start

When I was 6 years old, My nan accidently switched over to itv when HP & the chamber of secrets film was being shown (the basilisk fight scene) my mum had to drag me away from it, i was hooked.
later on in the evening we watched the first film
After I went upstairs to bed on the way went and nickrd the first book from my parents shelf and read it the same night which only took a few hours.

over the next month i'd read all the books which were out at the time (just before HP book 6 was released, yes my teacher was annoyed at my parents for not signing my reading journal because i read too many books back then, sigh.😂😂

during 1 month i read the next few books / films were released.

At the time primary school was a nightmsre due to me being shy / sometimes mute meaning it was hard to make friends - basically i had no friends then, so the book series allowed me to escale into hogwarts 😃

okay i might not have read the bigger books because of the content and longer words but a family friend managed to persuade my mum the films rated 12 weren't that bad so was finally allowed to watch it 😊

the books and films still play a big part in my life as i have met many of my friends this way 🙂

absolutely cannot wait for Fantastic Beasts😎 I'm feeling nostalgic, can't believe its been at least 10 years...
Original post by sunshine774
OMG my cousin used to be OBSESSED with Harry Potter and still says my brother looks like Harry- he does actually!:tongue:

guessing he's looking forward to Fantastic Beasts then :smile:
guessing he's looking forward to Fantastic Beasts then :smile:

Yeah she is! (My cousin.) I used to quite like Harry Potter, but when I turned 12 a few years ago I just grew out of it.
Yeah she is! (My cousin.) I used to quite like Harry Potter, but when I turned 12 a few years ago I just grew out of it.

that must have been when the last film came out? I was 12 then too :smile: sigh
that reminds me that I still need to book the cinema tickets... :smile::smile:
that must have been when the last film came out? I was 12 then too :smile: sigh
that reminds me that I still need to book the cinema tickets... :smile::smile:

Yeah I think so. You might want to!:tongue: When is it being released?x:smile:
Never. I did not really like Harry potter.
Yeah I think so. You might want to!:tongue: When is it being released?x:smile:

17 November I believe :smile:, I don't if its already being shown in cinemas though or not because there are already reviews for the film which I'm avoiding
Original post by AperfectBalance
Never. I did not really like Harry potter.

Reply 38
wow, that's a lot of times you've read them :smile:, hope your're alright now
the spine of my books seem to be in danger of splitting especially Order of the Phoenix (I've been listening to the audiobook version on youtube which is worth checking out as well :smile:

My paperback GoF is split in half :colondollar:
I saw the first movie when it came out. If I remember correctly, it was around the same time as Monsters Inc. I read a few of the early books and then sort of lost interest in the film series after The Prisoner of Azkaban.

I still haven't seen the final film, but I do get slightly nostalgic for the series in general. I'm much more of a Star Wars kid anyway. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending