The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by munirahalyana
Accounting & Finance :smile:

I've applied for Accounting and Finance too! LSE is my last uni i need an offer from! Fingers crossed
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 801
Original post by negatron
I've applied for Accounting and Finance too! LSE is my last uni i need an offer from! Fingers crossed

Where else have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh you're getting your offers so quickly! All the best, I'm sure you'll get it!
Original post by AD490995
hi,

If you don't mind me asking what grades did you achieve at GCSE and A-Level or equivalent?

They're not incredible but 9A* 1A at IGCSE (I'm an international student), 3A's at AS, predicted A*A*A at A-Level, and I'm taking an extra AS privately because my college doesn't offer the subject I want to do. I doubt I'll get past the 8 week email but... Fingers crossed. I was done with A-Levels just a week ago though! So I'm relieved about that.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have a few questions guys. can anyone get rejected before receiving the 8 weeks email? and i applied to lse for ppe, which is 4 years long. do you guys think lse is worth the money compared to ucl, durham, and warwick whose ppe programs all are 3 years long?
Original post by munirahalyana
Ahh you're getting your offers so quickly! All the best, I'm sure you'll get it!

I hope so too! Im genuinely surpised as my AS didn't go as well as i hoped! What are you applying for? And what Unis :smile:)
I hope so too! Im genuinely surpised as my AS didn't go as well as i hoped! What are you applying for? And what Unis :smile:)

Really? How did you do in your AS? I'm sure your PS must be bomb then :P Accounting & Finance at LSE, Warwick, Strathclyde, Bath and Leeds!
Reply 807
Original post by tongdak13
I have a few questions guys. can anyone get rejected before receiving the 8 weeks email? and i applied to lse for ppe, which is 4 years long. do you guys think lse is worth the money compared to ucl, durham, and warwick whose ppe programs all are 3 years long?

sometimes LSE rejects applicants even before the 8 week email.
Original post by Trapz99
I'll be applying to LSE for Maths and Economics. Doing maths, further maths, economics and physics (probably dropping physics this year).

What did you get at GCSE? I am planning to apply for maths and economics in two years time( Im in year 11). Also what career do you want to do? Would maths and economics be just as good as economics to get you into investment banking?
Original post by fleky6910
What did you get at GCSE? I am planning to apply for maths and economics in two years time( Im in year 11). Also what career do you want to do? Would maths and economics be just as good as economics to get you into investment banking?

You've got a long way to go. Aim for multiple A's and A*'s this year, no specific number to achieve remember, simply try your hardest. I would personally aim for an A* in maths the most, to see if you'd be suited to doing well and receviing A* at A-Level. Econ and Maths&Econ are the same with career prospects into IB.
Original post by econprospective
You've got a long way to go. Aim for multiple A's and A*'s this year, no specific number to achieve remember, simply try your hardest. I would personally aim for an A* in maths the most, to see if you'd be suited to doing well and receviing A* at A-Level. Econ and Maths&Econ are the same with career prospects into IB.

Thanks , I have already got 2 A* in methods and applications of maths. Doing the new gcse, statistics and aqa level 2 qualification in maths. I am planning on doing maths,further maths , economics and one AS. So maths and economics will be on an equal footing to economics? Maths and economics is one of the only courses you can apply to with maths, further maths and economics at a level, normal economics at LSE would consider it as no wide enough. Do you have an offer yet btw? Thanks for your advice and time!
Original post by RK7000
sometimes LSE rejects applicants even before the 8 week email.

Thanks for your reply do you know what criteria the school uses to make an offer tho? it only says it uses the so-called "holistic approach", but thats so vague. do you know how each component weighs in its admissions process as well?
Thanks for your reply do you know what criteria the school uses to make an offer tho? it only says it uses the so-called "holistic approach", but thats so vague. do you know how each component weighs in its admissions process as well?

Hi friend:smile:

I would say that given the huge number of LSE applicants each year, the admission selectors definitely have many candidates with equally excellent results and a stunning PS to choose from. Thus, it is very hard for anyone to say for sure that you will/will not be given an offer. So dont give up just because someone claim that you have a slim chance of getting an offer only, because they are just guessing irresponsibly
So the only things that we can do is to make sure our grades make the minimum requirements, and our PS is decent. This can ensure that at least we wont get an immediate rejection

Hope this advice helps anyone in needs:smile:

As for the weight given to PS, your grades, and your teacher's recommendation. No one knows the exact weight given to each component. But the reason for rejections tend to be your PS is not as good compared to the rest of the cohort. So people assume that PS is really important for LSE. However it is also true that since many people are getting similar results(3A*), the only way to differentiate is PS. So I would not be surprised if the key to getting an offer is your PS
Still not been asked for my UMS in maths, applied for maths with economics on 9/10
Maybe it's because I mentioned some of my marks in my PS
Original post by jrcouchman
Still not been asked for my UMS in maths, applied for maths with economics on 9/10
Maybe it's because I mentioned some of my marks in my PS

Yeah. I was asked for my UMS the next day..
Original post by econprospective
Yeah. I was asked for my UMS the next day..

The only reason I can think is because i mentioned how high my ums in maths was on my PS. I've had the 8 week and initial review emails. Did it come through as a separate email or as part as of the 8 week or initial?
Reply 817
Did anyone apply for economic history?
Original post by A05T
Did anyone apply for economic history?

i applied for economic history and economics :smile:
Original post by jrcouchman
The only reason I can think is because i mentioned how high my ums in maths was on my PS. I've had the 8 week and initial review emails. Did it come through as a separate email or as part as of the 8 week or initial?

I doubt it is to do with you mentioning it in Personal Statement.
Check your email again and see all the emails they have sent to you so far. They should have sent it before you get the "8weeks" email. The title of the email starts like this: "Request for further information regarding your LSE".
Take a look at your spam email folder in case as well. If you couldn't find it, then call LSE tomorrow and ask them if this is normal, as it might be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending