The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Hi,I want to apply to St Andrews for Psyhology. Is it worth applying with 4A*s (English x2, Art, RS) 3As (Biology, Spanish, Drama) and 3 Bs (Maths, Physics, Chemistry) at GCSE???? I achieved ABBb in my AS Levels and am predicted 3As.Is there any chance of me getting in or would applying just be a wasted uni choice? (There are no subject requirements for Psychology but I take English Lit, Politics and Classics)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by ¡Muy bien!
Doing compsci.
-department is great
-University is great
-love the town and atmosphere
-small so can walk everywhere
-does direct second year entry without a level computing ( Edinburgh and Glasgow accepted me only for first year, St Andrews did for second)
-great emphasis on employability and learning relevant compsci rather than maths
-seagulls. Seagulls everywhere

What year are you in? (I know a few that skipped first year in compsci and have just started 3rd year:smile:)
also what are the pros and cons of catered accommodation vs self catered?
what do you wish you had changed at the beginning in terms of modules/accommodation/catering/shared or ensuite bathrooms?
Original post by kiera28
Hi,I want to apply to St Andrews for Psyhology. Is it worth applying with 4A*s (English x2, Art, RS) 3As (Biology, Spanish, Drama) and 3 Bs (Maths, Physics, Chemistry) at GCSE???? I achieved ABBb in my AS Levels and am predicted 3As.Is there any chance of me getting in or would applying just be a wasted uni choice? (There are no subject requirements for Psychology but I take English Lit, Politics and Classics)

Hey! Definitely worth a shot. I got very similar results to you at GCSE and A-level (ended up with 2 A's and 2 B's) and I'm currently studying Neuroscience (which is in the same department). Go for it!! (also I'm doing psychology modules and they're great, really interesting and the lecturers are fab lovely people)
Hi! I am going to send off my UCAS application in the next week or so with St Andrews as my first choice to study International Relations and Spanish with ab. Russian. I was just wondering if anyone was studying this, (or similar) and had any advice or could possibly just tell me a bit more generally? It's a very specific course so I've only found St Andrews and Birmingham where I could study it. I haven't visited St Andrews, mainly because the train up would be so expensive, and I suppose this is partially why I'd really appreciate some help from a student's perspective!
TIA :smile:
Original post by idr335
Can you guys do me a massive favour and fill out this questionnaire, it's aimed at A2 students intending on going to university. Thanks.https://goo.gl/forms/l0cBil8bywCY7zQl2

Done, what's it for though?
Original post by kimberry50
What year are you in? (I know a few that skipped first year in compsci and have just started 3rd year:smile:)
also what are the pros and cons of catered accommodation vs self catered?
what do you wish you had changed at the beginning in terms of modules/accommodation/catering/shared or ensuite bathrooms?

I'm in second year now, just started uni this year.
I'm self catered, the only con is that you have to organise your own food, so constant trips to the supermarket, and if you're lazy you end up eating your easy go-to option. Still I would not change it for the world - catered is more expensive and I'm picky and vegetarian so would not have benefitted from it. Worse thing though - you have set hours the meal is served, so catered people have to go back for food, even if they have a lecture that time. Or if they have lectures from 11-12 then 1-2, they have to run there and back, which is worse if your lectures are half an hour away from your halls.
Wouldn't change my modules (cs2101 and cs2003),self catered accommodation, and definitely not my ensuite. I'm really lucky in that I got what I wanted.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by theKTanator
Hey! Definitely worth a shot. I got very similar results to you at GCSE and A-level (ended up with 2 A's and 2 B's) and I'm currently studying Neuroscience (which is in the same department). Go for it!! (also I'm doing psychology modules and they're great, really interesting and the lecturers are fab lovely people)

Thanks!!
Quick question- we are visiting next week. When we get to the train station, it looks like there is a bus. Can we buy tickets for the bus there at the station, or on board? Or with 4 peopel (2 parents plus little sibling) is it better just to cab and if so are cabs readily available at station?
Original post by MomofUSgirl
Quick question- we are visiting next week. When we get to the train station, it looks like there is a bus. Can we buy tickets for the bus there at the station, or on board? Or with 4 peopel (2 parents plus little sibling) is it better just to cab and if so are cabs readily available at station?

You get the tickets on board the bus but you can also get them included in your train ticket ( I think you ask for St Andrews Bus station instead of Leuchars). There are plenty of taxis otherwise.
what is the best accommodation?
Andrew Melville without a doubt, but I am biased and its also closing for refurbishment until 2018 so not good for 2017 applicants.
The rest depend on what you want, where you are.
Nearest to the science departaments are Agnes Blackadder and David Russel Appartments. Unfortunately these are the most expensive, and sometimes it can be hit and miss with flatmates. DRA is very nice, but far away (having a bile there is ideal). ABH is closer to town.
WARNING: do not pick Albany if your doing sciences and you dont have a bike/car. Its on the complete opposite side of town. I dont know much else about it appart from that.
If your doing humanities its worth trying for the older halls as they'll be closer to your subjects. They're very pretty and generally have a good community, but also are the most competitive to get into. Your more likely to get in if you opt to share a room, but personally I would not want to do that. There are non shared rooms as well.
Also! Catered is good if you can get it! Very handy and you can get packed lunches (although consider non-catered if you're VERY fussy/vegetarian)
Original post by hodobikar
what is the best accommodation?

ABH!
Original post by ombtom
ABH!

How's Physics been so far?
Original post by LadyBunion
You get the tickets on board the bus but you can also get them included in your train ticket ( I think you ask for St Andrews Bus station instead of Leuchars). There are plenty of taxis otherwise.

Thank you! Wow, that would be nice info to put on the website. :-)

Looks like the weather should be lovely next week for a California girl to check out!
Can someone help me with applying for English? Hopefully sending my application off this week!!
1. What is your timetable like? And size of your tutorial classes?

2. Do you get to pick your housemates like with a questionnaire or something?

3. Can you get a job in the town seen as its so small?

4. Do you borrow your textbooks from the library or buy them? Also how many libraries are there and their size?

5. How long are the terms ? Holidays?

6. What kind of hall/Union events take place and how often?
Hey, I'd be extremely thankful for an answer. I've applied for Single Honours International Relations last month (EU applicant). I have no idea whether they'll give me an offer, of course, but I'm already planning the next years :wink: I think that I might like to do a Joint Honours degree, Economics and International Relations, so I'd take all the modules required for Economics in my sub-honours years. Could this be a problem? Are students that didn't apply for Economics sometimes not admitted to take those modules because too many students want to take them?
Or should I (if I get an offer ofc) email the staff and ask them whether I can change the course to Economics and International Relations before I start my studies?

I'm an EU applicant so this whole system is kind of complicated for me (well, it probably is for British applicants as well ...). I'd be extremely grateful for an answer!
Original post by GermanIRhopeful
Hey, I'd be extremely thankful for an answer. I've applied for Single Honours International Relations last month (EU applicant). I have no idea whether they'll give me an offer, of course, but I'm already planning the next years :wink: I think that I might like to do a Joint Honours degree, Economics and International Relations, so I'd take all the modules required for Economics in my sub-honours years. Could this be a problem? Are students that didn't apply for Economics sometimes not admitted to take those modules because too many students want to take them?
Or should I (if I get an offer ofc) email the staff and ask them whether I can change the course to Economics and International Relations before I start my studies?

I'm an EU applicant so this whole system is kind of complicated for me (well, it probably is for British applicants as well ...). I'd be extremely grateful for an answer!

Nah, don't bother, you'll be able to do economics when you get here, so I'd just wait till you get here.
Reply 9358
1) Your timetable is entirely dependent on your course, modules, and year of study. Some people have 4 hours of seminars a week, some people have 15 hours of lectures and 12 hours of laboratory work per week.

2) When applying for accommodation you are asked a series of questions such as: how often do you go out, what time do you normally go to bed, what are your hobbies etc etc. Usually, people are happy with their flatmates, but there ways to move if needs must.

3) Yes there's a limited number of jobs, and yes there are a lot of students, but, if you apply early, and aren't an idiot, you'll more than likely get something.

4) You can loan textbooks from the library, the duration you are allowed to loan it for is dependent on how popular the book is. It is ideal to have your own copy of the textbook so that you always have a copy handy. You can either buy textbooks new (some subjects are more expensive than others), buy them second-hand, or find the materials online.

5) Usually early September - Mid December. Late January - Mid May. We have long Christmas and summer holidays compared to English universities. It is important to note that first semester exams here are sat before Christmas, which means that the Christmas holiday is actually a holiday, and you aren't spending your time revising for January exams. There's also a 1 week break in the first semester, and two weeks for Easter.

6) Something happening every week in the union, just like any other students union.
What is the Computer Science course like at St Andrews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending