The Student Room Group

Am I underweight?

I am a 15y/o girl, I am 184cm tall and weigh 41kg. All of my friends say I am too small but I do a lot of ballet (and I mean a lot!) and go to the gym. I also eat a balanced diet regularly

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ElodieLondon
I am a 15y/o girl, I am 184cm tall and weigh 41kg. All of my friends say I am too small but I do a lot of ballet (and I mean a lot!) and go to the gym. I also eat a balanced diet regularly

Yes :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are 6ft :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yes you are underweight

Yes . You are severely underweight.

You have a BMI of 12.2 and are placed in the bottom 5%
Teenagers use percentile charts rather than traditional BMI.

Go and check with your GP just to get checked. It is very common for ballet dancers to be underweight and have eating disorders due to the demands.

You're 6ft and only 41kg ? Yes that's really underweight. Are you really 6ft or is that a typo ?

I will repeat. You arent just underweight, but you are severely underweight and that has health implications. It is imperative you go and get checked with your GP, so thye can make sure you are ok and reassure you about your diet. What you think is healthy may not be so.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
I will repeat. You arent just underweight, but you are severely underweight and that has health implications. It is imperative you go and get checked with your GP, so thye can make sure you are ok and reassure you about your diet. What you think is healthy may not be so.
I generally eat more than my friends who are quite big and I have 3 full meals a day. I told someone my weight and they said I was underweight but nobody has ever commented on me looking unhealthy? I will go to the doctors anyway
Reply 8
Original post by RossB1702
You're 6ft and only 41kg ? Yes that's really underweight. Are you really 6ft or is that a typo ?

I am genuinely 6ft 😂
Reply 9
Original post by Lychee627

Yes 😂
Then are you 41kg? Apart from the very unlikely source of "tapeworm" it isn't possible to be 6ft, eat three meals and still be in the bottom 5% in terms of weight for people of your height
Yes 😂

Haha aw thats well tall for a woman :tongue: im 6ft 1 :five:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am genuinely 6ft 😂

I think you should go see a doctor about your weight if you're that concerned about it. Not gonna lie 41kg for a person standing at 6ft tall is really underweight.
Original post by shawn_o1
Then are you 41kg? Apart from the very unlikely source of "tapeworm" it isn't possible to be 6ft, eat three meals and still be in the bottom 5% in terms of weight for people of your height

Yes, give or take 1kg, could it be to do with the fact that I dance 7 hours a day. A lot of the girls in my company are my size??
Yes, give or take 1kg, could it be to do with the fact that I dance 7 hours a day. A lot of the girls in my company are my size??

I would say, if there's nothing you don't like about your body then you can continue with your current regime and it shouldn't be a problem :smile: you do burn off a lot doing ballet for 7 hours though. People underestimate the amount of fitness required :smile:
Original post by shawn_o1
I would say, if there's nothing you don't like about your body then you can continue with your current regime and it shouldn't be a problem :smile: you do burn off a lot doing ballet for 7 hours though. People underestimate the amount of fitness required :smile:

What about the long term health implications of being severely underweight?
Is a 15 year old in the best position to judge?
ballet dancers have much slimmer bodies than other people. if you were making yourself ill you would not be able to dance for 7 hours a day !

Omg :eek: Your height is age is 15yrs , 6feet Height and weight only 41kg.. You has to eat high proteins food and fruits, Drink milk daily with banana. you defiantly increase your weight.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by andrews.rsheila
Omg :eek: Your height is age is 15yrs , 6feet Height and weight only 41kg.. You has to eat high proteins food and fruits, Drink milk daily with banana. you defiantly increase your weight.

I drink milk and I have bananas and nuts as a snack between classes, sometimes a chocolate bar 😂 I have a lot of protein too
That's unbelievable! I am 5'1 and I weigh 47kg.... :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest