The Student Room Group

Is it normal to lose weight over time?

For me, I was seriously underweight from ages 0-7, started having episodes of hypoglycemia around age 8 but was apparently a healthy weight from ages 8-13 and still suffered from hypoglycemia and then age 14 and above, went back to being underweight. There's people who gain weight with age and may even turn overweight over time, but I turned underweight over time and I was wondering whether that's because I was growing in height and weight just fell of the scale.
Reply 1
might have something to do with your ED...
Reply 2
Original post by black tea

Yeah and no one seems to believe me about my Russell Silver Syndrome despite it being confirmed through genetic testing. The hypoglycemic episodes that I have haven't solely been due to not eating, it happened during my sleep when I was 8 but didn't have flashes (dark in front of eyes, ringing in ears, heart palpitations, neck veins pulling), when I was 10 I had my first flash for a minute or two and vomited water but that may or may not be low blood sugar because the beating headache that I had stopped after taking a nap and that has something to do with the early onset of puberty, then 13 I had a fever and vomited due to the vomiting bug and I have to say my immune system is quite strong (may be due to RSS) for someone who is underweight, and that made me extremely lethargic and was unable to wake up all day even after vomiting twice only whilst my family vomited 10 times and they are fine since they don't have RSS and during that times you get the fever down, eat gel cake frosting and when my mum eventually took me to the room as I felt like I was unconscious, when I stood up from my seat I had the flash for 5 seconds, when I was 14 I was fasting during Ramadan and felt like falling to one side so I broke my fast with water and it still didn't help (note I started fasting from when I was 11 and nothing happened till I was 14) which was a sign my blood sugars were dropping and I would get a flash so I broke it, when I was 15 I nearly passed out from low blood sugar and I stood up too quick from my seat during Ramadan and refused to break my fast with 2 and a half hours to go of the fast and I kept it but when we did eventually break it (and I broke it with a date) it made me feel better instantly. That happened for 30 seconds. Then when I was 16 I had a flash for 3 minutes after food and getting up from my seat, nothing happened as I was on a full stomach. 17 I had regular ones in college and I was able to deal with it and used to always buy myself Lucozade and chocolate bars (not on days I had lunch) and also used to eat lunch on other days. 18 is when it always crashed for a week due to living on snacks like biscuits and yogurt and no proper meal and I had RSS so put me at risk of developing low blood sugar, but was also diagnosed with anorexia and ever since I have had these low blood sugar episodes and my head felt weak and indigestion at the same time (probably from RSS and eating once a day only gives indigestion). I think I properly had anorexia when I was 15 when I refused to break my fast despite nearly passing out and made excuses to my friends who told me to break it and I said "but I have to", but it started way before that like when I was 7-10.
Reply 3
Original post by black tea

If you have my birth defect, weight does continue to fall further off the scale as you age (not sure about after puberty though, people tend to look more womanly/manly then and I would say it shouldn't fall off the scale then).
Original post by Anonymous
For me, I was seriously underweight from ages 0-7, started having episodes of hypoglycemia around age 8 but was apparently a healthy weight from ages 8-13 and still suffered from hypoglycemia and then age 14 and above, went back to being underweight. There's people who gain weight with age and may even turn overweight over time, but I turned underweight over time and I was wondering whether that's because I was growing in height and weight just fell of the scale.

Yeah I can relate I lost considerable amount of weight because I am growing in height
Reply 5
I don't think so there is any issue in this if you lose weight overtime your react slow so I think it's not an issue...

Quick Reply

Latest