The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

I think its time to throw in the towel! I have literally taken every admission test and no luck!

Some may say am crazy lol for wasting so much time and money on it...
Original post by Ama2007
I think its time to throw in the towel! I have literally taken every admission test and no luck!

its def not crazy to pursue your dreams. its also never too late, so dont give up!
Original post by Hugh Laurie
its def not crazy to pursue your dreams. its also never too late, so dont give up!

I know but i have tried so many times, sometimes i think maybe its just not meant to be..maybe I am meant to be doing something else...

GAMSAT - done it
UKCAT (3 times)
BMAT
Original post by Ama2007

You trying to apply for 4 year GEM? Or the standard 5 year programme ?
I've started my first year of biomedicine and I'm already practicing for the UKCAT , I'm gonna attempt it this summer for the experience!
Anyway you shouldn't stop trying , if it's your dream then keep at it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ama2007
I know but i have tried so many times, sometimes i think maybe its just not meant to be..maybe I am meant to be doing something else...

GAMSAT - done it
UKCAT (3 times)
BMAT

It is meant to be, but I think you've just been quite rushed this year? :frown: I remember you said you left everything last minute, which I assume meant you didn't do a lot of work experience/preparations for exams?

I know you have MPharm degree - what was your grade? If it 2.1 or above, that's good

What are your A-levels?

I think go for UKCAT/GAMSAT universities again, or a combo of both. This time, you need to leave a lot of preparation time!

Go for unis like Warwick, Southampton, Notts etc

How much work experience do you have?

Were you happy with your PS?

Even though I am in the cycle myself so don't have a lot of experience (no experience with GAMSAT) I will be happy to help you as much as I can :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by carbon_
It is meant to be, but I think you've just been quite unorganised this year? :frown: I remember you said you left everything last minute, which I assume meant you didn't do a lot of work experience/preparations for exams?

I know you have MPharm degree - what was your grade? If it 2.1 or above, that's good

What are your A-levels?

I think go for UKCAT/GAMSAT universities again, or a combo of both. This time, you need to leave a lot of preparation time!

Go for unis like Warwick, Southampton, Notts etc

How much work experience do you have?

Were you happy with your PS?

Even though I am in the cycle myself so don't have a lot of experience (no experience with GAMSAT) I will be happy to help you as much as I can :smile:

Thanks for your advice..

I actually have plenty of experience healthcare and non-healthcare, so thats not my worry, PS is pretty strong. I kinda know where I am failing at, its the entrance exams...and yes I made a last minute decision i left 1 month for the BMAT which isn't bad tbh, I just cannot hack these silly exams.

It is my dream lol why would i be applying 4 times and wasting so much time on it if i didn't want it.

I hope your application is going well :smile:
Original post by Ama2007
Thanks for your advice..

I actually have plenty of experience healthcare and non-healthcare, so thats not my worry, PS is pretty strong. I kinda know where I am failing at, its the entrance exams...and yes I made a last minute decision i left 1 month for the BMAT which isn't bad tbh, I just cannot hack these silly exams.

It is my dream lol why would i be applying 4 times and wasting so much time on it if i didn't want it.

I hope your application is going well :smile:

Then please keep going! I think you can hack it! 1 month for BMAT is doable, but risky too.

So I think focus on GAMSAT (for march exam)

And then UKCAT (for July/August)
I have a lot of advice for UKCAT. With UKCAT, it really is about practice...you can easily get 800/900 for QR with enough questions done. VR, you can deffo aim for >650, I recommend practicing speed reading, and reading a variety of material (historical, scientific etc). AR is risky but is doable. I will be happy to send all my notes/advice when you need it

If there is anything I can answer, please let me know

No idea how it is going xD Had one interview, but I don't think I did enough for offer, but that is okay, got three more chances hopefully. Haven't heard from any of them though

I know you've yet to hear from other unis, so don't fret - I really hope you get in this year :smile:
Any who has been on or plans to attend an MMI interview prep course which ones would you recommend? Not really bothered about cost but nothing extortionate!
Who is everyone choosing to provide references at the interviews and stuff?

I've got a volunteer manager for one reference and for the other reference, I'm divided between two colleagues, one of whom is an optometrist and the other is an optical assistant. Would universities accept a reference from an optical assistant?
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Who is everyone choosing to provide references at the interviews and stuff?

I've got a volunteer manager for one reference and for the other reference, I'm divided between two colleagues, one of whom is an optometrist and the other is an optical assistant. Would universities accept a reference from an optical assistant?

What is this for? What uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thomas96
What is this for? What uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right now for Warwick. But I'm trying to find out what I need for other universities.

We need to provide letters from referees at interview no?

I think SGUL expect letters to be handed to them at interview but I haven't met the cutoff for them.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Right now for Warwick. But I'm trying to find out what I need for other universities.

We need to provide letters from referees at interview no?

I think SGUL expect letters to be handed to them at interview but I haven't met the cutoff for them.

Yeah I think you do.

Have you received a work experience form from them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thomas96
Yeah I think you do.

Have you received a work experience form from them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol no but just in case I do, I want to make sure I'm prepared instead of running around at last minute trying to chase people up because I need to be sure they'll provide a reference. Just so I don't get a repeat of UCAS references.
Oh I see, yeah that's a good plan. I think I may do it too agaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduate entry 2018....

For the GAMSAT exam approximately how many marks do you have to score and get as an overall average for a pass to enter medicine?
Original post by Remedy758
Graduate entry 2018....

For the GAMSAT exam approximately how many marks do you have to score and get as an overall average for a pass to enter medicine?

It varies from year to year and from university to university. They have minimums such as 50 in each section (which, for example would be 50 overall) and then they later set a cut off for the overall mark which varies as ive said. Even if you achieve the minimum, if you are below the cut off (say they set that at 59) you don't get an interview.

We are currently waiting to hear what the cut offs are. You get your exam results after yourbUCAS application has been submitted so you sort of apply in blind faith.

It's not "marks" per se as the GAMSAT is marked in a very complicated way whereby each question is worth a different amount of marks to the next. I.e a score of 50 doesn't mean you got 50 questions right. When you start practicing and doing a little bit more research about the GAMSAT, you'll see what I mean.
Original post by Remedy758
Graduate entry 2018....

Ps - Im sure ive seen a graduate entry thread for 2017 application/2018 entry on here..try and find it if you can!
I am a current first year student on the 4 year med course at Oxford. Shoot me any questions if you have them :smile: Good luck to you all!!
Interview at Newcastle (A101) :smile:

753.3 UKCAT

Newcastle (A101) thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4242002
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I might apply for 2018 entry and was wondering whether Warwick provides a separate work experience form or do we have to mention everything in our personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending